• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Need some help from a mechanic

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it posssible that its 8nside the 8ignition?
@Peter Gozintite

What does the temp gauge read when it shuts off. Probably has idiot lights doesn't it.
It couldn't be at full operating temperature after only 10 minutes, can it???

How long does it run after the electric choke turns off?? It isn't at the same time is it??

Is it "exactly" 10 minutes every time it stalls or does it depend if its stone cold or warmed up a bit? Does the time it run's vary?

How long after it stalls does it take to start back up, I don't remember what you said.
it ran for about 10 minutes after I put the new carb on. After that its a minute tops. Engine is no where close operating temperature.

Bayou Tiger

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Peter Gozintite

What does the temp gauge read when it shuts off. Probably has idiot lights doesn't it.
It couldn't be at full operating temperature after only 10 minutes, can it???

How long does it run after the electric choke turns off?? It isn't at the same time is it??

Is it "exactly" 10 minutes every time it stalls or does it depend if its stone cold or warmed up a bit? Does the time it run's vary?

How long after it stalls does it take to start back up, I don't remember what you said.

Good questions that may tell a tale...

Bayou Tiger

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did have a small fuel leak, at the fuel filter, which caught fire for about 15 seconds. Nothing really damaged, couple of wires that I heat shrinked some fresh insulation on.

:eek: I missed this !

Can you take a photo of this area ? If those were burned, the wire may no longer be conductive.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a 78 ford, crewcab, 351m400. Edelbrock intake and just installed a brand new 750cfm edelbrock carb. Started right up and ran as good as it ever has for about 10 min. Went to adjust the feul lean one side, flooded out died. It should be noted that i had flooding issues with the last 650 ctm carb, and was told it was old and needed to be replaced. I have adjusted the floats, added an electronic fuel pump, and a new regulator(set to 5.5 psi). I have done everything aside from swapping out springs and needles. Wait for a while, fire it up, runs beautifully until flooding out. Any help will be appreciated.

Fuck everyone who has a joke, not in the mood, i hate you.

Thank you to anyone who wants to help.
The only thin I can think of that could cause that kind of a problem is a sticking float. Fuel comes up past the float and stalls the engine. I've seen it before.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sounds like some shit in the fuel line got into your new carb, ran for 10 minutes before it got clogged up.
Now only runs for a minute before getting clogged up again.

A complete and sudden loss of fuel might make the engine stall like a key is being turned off, but I'd think it would chug chug a little.

How long has this fuel tank been in the truck?, origianal/probably.

Is there even a fuel filter on this thing??? Like the guy said, look at that, change that next.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the next logical step is to start replacing parts in the transmission.

#amirite or what

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean
this truck actually has gas in the gas tank doesn't it.

the fuel gauge might be broken/shake the truck and check it.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:eek: I missed this !

Can you take a photo of this area ? If those were burned, the wire may no longer be conductive.
They werent even really that burnt, just charred. Copper wasnt even exposed. Most of it was relegated to the wires to the pick up that were just changed, and the coil wires. not even there anymore.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sounds like some shit in the fuel line got into your new carb, ran for 10 minutes before it got clogged up.
Now only runs for a minute before getting clogged up again.

A complete and sudden loss of fuel might make the engine stall like a key is being turned off, but I'd think it would chug chug a little.

How long has this fuel tank been in the truck?, origianal/probably.

Is there even a fuel filter on this thing??? Like the guy said, look at that, change that next.
You suppose it is feasible to disconnect the fuel filter, and blow air back through the fuel line to the tank? If there was a blockage, would that possibly dislodge it. I am thinking there might be a blockage.

I did drop the tank and drain/flush it a few years ago, because of bad gas. I did before when I first got the truck also.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
does amaco still have the little shops at their gas stations? those were always good for a bend me over and not fix shit.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are on thin ice my friend.

33274-Fat-Guy-Jumps-Into-Ice-Lake-gi-bshV.gif

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean
this truck actually has gas in the gas tank doesn't it.

the fuel gauge might be broken/shake the truck and check it.
OK, so I took the gas cap off, started the truck, and it died. So i left the key on, and the electronic fuel pump was sounding strange, like it was struggling. went and looked at it, and the hose was collapsed behind it (between the pump and tank. So this is leading me to believe that the fuel pick up tube is being blocked/clogged.

I guess I have to drop the fucking tank again?!

@outofyourmind @Bayou Tiger

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like you found the trouble, success!
Flush the tank out, clean the pick up and your on the road.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dropped/drained the tank. Looks like the fill hose is deteriorating, and rel3asing li5tle bits of rubber into the line. Bunch of little rubber bits in the tank.