• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Need help getting an old compute to boot up

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have an old Gateway computer, that I used to start my business with in 2005. I have had it disconnected from the interent for some time, and have used it basically to keep my quickbooks and a couple other things on. Well the other day, it deceided that it does not want to boot up.

I turn the switch on, but it doesnt light up, even though the rest of the machine appears to be running.

Nothing will come up on the screen either.

Any suggestions on getting this dinosaur to boot up without completely erasing everything?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have an old Gateway computer, that I used to start my business with in 2005. I have had it disconnected from the interent for some time, and have used it basically to keep my quickbooks and a couple other things on. Well the other day, it deceided that it does not want to boot up.

I turn the switch on, but it doesnt light up, even though the rest of the machine appears to be running.

Nothing will come up on the screen either.

Any suggestions on getting this dinosaur to boot up without completely erasing everything?
Mmmm sounds like your hard drive may be dead. Hope you backed all your data.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I should just load my backed up shit onto another computer and junk this thing then?

clemtheslowson

back from the dead
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and I can hear the fan and other components running when I turn it on.
You can probably still get an external hard drive enclosure. Put the hard drive in that and see if you can plus it in to another computer. (These are typically USB connected).

If the hard drive is readable, then my guess would be the mother board.

You can also try just re-seating the RAM first.

clemtheslowson

back from the dead
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know what that means.
There are memory modules in slots in the mother board. Go online on another PC, do a google search on the make and model of your PC and ask about reseating the memory. It is a simple process.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are memory modules in slots in the mother board. Go online on another PC, do a google search on the make and model of your PC and ask about reseating the memory. It is a simple process.
Worth a shot, but a 10 year old computer isn't going to last much longer. I'd bite the bullet and buy another computer.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worth a shot, but a 10 year old computer isn't going to last much longer. I'd bite the bullet and buy another computer.
I have other computers, but just kept this one around because it had 10 years of info on it, and I could access it without having to bog down other computers.

clemtheslowson

back from the dead
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3