• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

nebraska's Incognito

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what bothers me the most about this situation.......is that I have yet to see a Dolphins player speak out on this. NONE of the black players seem to have a problem with Incognito throwing around the N word, or any of his actions. For me that is disturbing and eye opening as to whats going on there.

They aired one black player's comments (didn't pay attention to who) on camera after practice. He said hazing is so common-place everyone takes it for granted.

They also aired a cell phone video of a shirtless Incognito in a South Florida bar walking around in a cursing rage. Everybody was getting the fuck out of his way.

Their focus was "workplace harassment" in that it's a no-no everywhere else.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree; seems strange that the players are quiet about this. In addition, Coach Philbin should have been in better control and dealt with this problem a long time ago. If he did not know, then he has a leadership problem in that assistant coaches and/or players did not have the confidence to bring this thing out in the open. IMO, The Dolphin owners should clean house over this one; starting with the head coach. Incognito is finished and probably will not be playing for another NFL team again.

Philbin gave a camera interview yesterday (also aired on GMA) claiming he was unaware what was going on.

I have a hard time buying that.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
starbigDouche

thats-gold-jerry.png

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philbin gave a camera interview yesterday (also aired on GMA) claiming he was unaware what was going on.

I have a hard time buying that.

Me too. It doesn't matter in that if he didn't know, bad leadership because his coaches and players did not let him know and if he did know, bad leadership because he should have taken immediate and decisive measures. Either way, IMO, he should be gone.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just who did martin talk to in management about ingocnit? and how did philbin not know about it later if he wasnt present?

LA dolphins....problem solved.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, that would be Lawrence Phillips, no question

Hello, what about Thunder Collins? Dude is in prison for life for murdering somebody. Anyway, I agree with StarD. You're getting bullied, stand up for yourself for fuck's sake. Punch that fucker right in the nose. If you get your ass kicked, so be it, but at least you took a stand. Parents today are the biggest pussies in the world. Martin is an example of having weak as hell parents. The whole "everybody is a winner" and "their are no losers in the world" is finally infecting this society. Pathetic.....this shit has been going on in the NFL for decades, but this pussy couldn't take it......

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had the same gut reaction as TF12. I was the fat kid growing up, and got bullied a lot. Then I learned to fight and hit a growth spurt. I became a bully in my own right, towards the people that had bullied me.

When I first saw the news I looked at it and said, damn Moose stand up for yourself. However, that behavior (as advocated by a few here) works fine in the school yard when you are kids. Even then, though it has consequences (got suspended a few times myself).

I have been in locker rooms my whole life, playing violent sports such as football, lacrosse and rugby, there is a level of trash talking and behavior that is accepted in many of those places. However, I have to ask if this was happening since his rookie year, but did not stop after that time, is there a culture in the veterans on that team that must have condoned this heightened level of abusive behavior?

Further, in this day an age, you can't just fight anymore. People wither sue, press charges, or grab their gun. Given the gun laws in FL is there any reason to think half of those guys aren't packing.

Had Martin, I am paraphrasing Star here, smashed Incognito in the face with his helmet there are 4 possible outcomes. 1) He wins, Incognito backs down and the team rallies around Martin (not likely given how well liked Incognito seems to have been). 2) He smashes Incognito and then gets his ass kicked by either Incognito or several of his team mates (more likely given the apparent culture there, statements about liking Incognito by players, and Incognito's status as part of the team leadership council). 3) Martin smashes him and get hit with legal sanctions and develops a reputation as poor teammate and locker room cancer (more likely give assault laws and my experience in and around NFL locker rooms, no not as a player.) 4) Martin smashes him, and gets fined, jail time, and loses his job (most likely).

Now lets look at the history for Martin. 1) He is the child of two Harvard educated lawyers, so we can assume he knows a thing or two about the legal consequences should he "stand up" to Incognito, love how standing up to someone really means fighting them in some of the previous posts. 2) He comes from a school where his social skills were the norm, being a nerd was fine, and where hazing was absolutely forbidden. Shaw and Harbaugh follow the Stanford rules regarding a 0 tolerance of hazing activities. This means he has never had to deal with this type of situation before. The simple fact is, his behavior of going to the team and the NFL fits with his background.

Do I think he did the right thing, hell yes. Macho BS works in child hood, and apparently Texas based on the division in the posts here. Will this make it much tougher for him to find a team that will take him, and give others fuel to use against him should he play again? Yes it will, he may be done in the league. To bad all he has to fall back on is that Stanford engineering degree.

TL;DR Martin did the right thing overall, though it will make his career in the NFL suck.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please...please...do NOT take starbigd's advice of being a 'macho man who stands-up for himself'...his type of thinking was once valid...over a hundred years ago! Don't go the macho/manly route!

I used to have the same belief he does...and I paid dearly for it. I won't go into any details of the circumstances, but I will tell you the results.

Back in 1998 (I was 36 years old at that time), I stood-up for myself by taking matters into my own hands. Note that up until that point in my life, I had never been arrested...hell, I'd never even had a driving citation.

The result of the 1998 situation was that I was arrested, charged and convicted of felonious assault....again, despite no criminal history at all. However, since I had no criminal history, I received no jail sentence, rather, I received a one year probation plus community service...plus a lot of legal costs (my only jail time was the original 2 days in the slammer at the time of my arrest).

The worst part is having the felony record.....I did not lose my job at the time, since the incident took place on my lunch break away from my work place. The problem is, I eventually lost that job several years later due to a layoff as a result of a permanent facility closure/ job outsourced overseas.

At that point, no one would hire me because of my felony record.....remember, almost all employers in modern day society perform background checks on employee candidates.

In 2008, I eventually had the felony expunged, but the remnants of the charge still remained on my record and still show-up whenever a criminal background search is conducted.

I am now 51 years old, and to this day I remain unemployable. However, I am lucky in that I am self-employed on a freelance basis, and I'm very fortunate to have a skill set which allows me to earn an OK living...I work as a paranormal entertainer (mind reader and fortune teller).

Again folks...I used to believe as starbigd does----that it is the 'manly' thing to stand-up for yourself. I obviously think otherwise now. Please heed my advice based on my real world experience, and try to follow another course of action, and instead get other people involved on your behalf rather than try to 'be a man' by standing-up for yourself and taking matters into your own hands.

Folks..........times have changed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of guys I know who are in the league say it is a blown up little bit more than it should be. Save for the racial shit, this is pretty normal among teammates. They believe that if you are not in the locker room, you shouldn't have anything to say about what happened.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please...please...do NOT take starbigd's advice of being a 'macho man who stands-up for himself'...his type of thinking was once valid...over a hundred years ago! Don't go the macho/manly route!

I used to have the same belief he does...and I paid dearly for it. I won't go into any details of the circumstances, but I will tell you the results.

Back in 1998 (I was 36 years old at that time), I stood-up for myself by taking matters into my own hands. Note that up until that point in my life, I had never been arrested...hell, I'd never even had a driving citation.

The result of the 1998 situation was that I was arrested, charged and convicted of felonious assault....again, despite no criminal history at all. However, since I had no criminal history, I received no jail sentence, rather, I received a one year probation plus community service...plus a lot of legal costs (my only jail time was the original 2 days in the slammer at the time of my arrest).

The worst part is having the felony record.....I did not lose my job at the time, since the incident took place on my lunch break away from my work place. The problem is, I eventually lost that job several years later due to a layoff as a result of a permanent facility closure/ job outsourced overseas.

At that point, no one would hire me because of my felony record.....remember, almost all employers in modern day society perform background checks on employee candidates.

In 2008, I eventually had the felony expunged, but the remnants of the charge still remained on my record and still show-up whenever a criminal background search is conducted.

I am now 51 years old, and to this day I remain unemployable. However, I am lucky in that I am self-employed on a freelance basis, and I'm very fortunate to have a skill set which allows me to earn an OK living...I work as a paranormal entertainer (mind reader and fortune teller).

Again folks...I used to believe as starbigd does----that it is the 'manly' thing to stand-up for yourself. I obviously think otherwise now. Please heed my advice based on my real world experience, and try to follow another course of action, and instead get other people involved on your behalf rather than try to 'be a man' by standing-up for yourself and taking matters into your own hands.

Folks..........times have changed.

I see this in my job all of the time. I had a guy the other day that I may have to turn away from my program because he had a violent felony.

His crime: an adult neighbor was being verbally abusive in the extreme towards his kids and the guy kicked his ass for it.

Fortunately for him, the industry that my program provides training for, is "felony friendly" to a point, so I may still be able to get him hired, but it's going to be difficult.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was never valid. That's why civilizations that stop protecting the peace and start glorifying shit behavior and greed always degenerate and ultimately lose.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dan Neil, who was an undersized All-American O lineman at Texas, and also a starter in Denver on two SuperBowl teams, had a quote that sums up my feelings on this.

Paraphrased, he said that the coach, Philbin, and Gm, Ireland, should both be fired. They not only signed Incognito to the team (had to have known of his issues) but they put him in a leadership position on the team.

They knew what was going on, and if they didn't, they should be fired for that.

Coaches are not generally wanted in locker rooms, and generally don't hang out in them. But they do know what's going on.

Ireland has had a history of saying and doing some stupid things in the past, as well.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had the same gut reaction as TF12. I was the fat kid growing up, and got bullied a lot. Then I learned to fight and hit a growth spurt. I became a bully in my own right, towards the people that had bullied me.

When I first saw the news I looked at it and said, damn Moose stand up for yourself. However, that behavior (as advocated by a few here) works fine in the school yard when you are kids. Even then, though it has consequences (got suspended a few times myself).

I have been in locker rooms my whole life, playing violent sports such as football, lacrosse and rugby, there is a level of trash talking and behavior that is accepted in many of those places. However, I have to ask if this was happening since his rookie year, but did not stop after that time, is there a culture in the veterans on that team that must have condoned this heightened level of abusive behavior?

Further, in this day an age, you can't just fight anymore. People wither sue, press charges, or grab their gun. Given the gun laws in FL is there any reason to think half of those guys aren't packing.

Had Martin, I am paraphrasing Star here, smashed Incognito in the face with his helmet there are 4 possible outcomes. 1) He wins, Incognito backs down and the team rallies around Martin (not likely given how well liked Incognito seems to have been). 2) He smashes Incognito and then gets his ass kicked by either Incognito or several of his team mates (more likely given the apparent culture there, statements about liking Incognito by players, and Incognito's status as part of the team leadership council). 3) Martin smashes him and get hit with legal sanctions and develops a reputation as poor teammate and locker room cancer (more likely give assault laws and my experience in and around NFL locker rooms, no not as a player.) 4) Martin smashes him, and gets fined, jail time, and loses his job (most likely).

Now lets look at the history for Martin. 1) He is the child of two Harvard educated lawyers, so we can assume he knows a thing or two about the legal consequences should he "stand up" to Incognito, love how standing up to someone really means fighting them in some of the previous posts. 2) He comes from a school where his social skills were the norm, being a nerd was fine, and where hazing was absolutely forbidden. Shaw and Harbaugh follow the Stanford rules regarding a 0 tolerance of hazing activities. This means he has never had to deal with this type of situation before. The simple fact is, his behavior of going to the team and the NFL fits with his background.

Do I think he did the right thing, hell yes. Macho BS works in child hood, and apparently Texas based on the division in the posts here. Will this make it much tougher for him to find a team that will take him, and give others fuel to use against him should he play again? Yes it will, he may be done in the league. To bad all he has to fall back on is that Stanford engineering degree.

TL;DR Martin did the right thing overall, though it will make his career in the NFL suck.

I agree 100%.

Been in a few locker rooms myself and I've seen and participated in hazing and been hazed myself. What Incognito was apparently doing was not hazing. Even though Martin comes from a place with zero tolerance for hazing, I'm pretty sure that he could have handled what true "traditional hazing" is.

It's going to be interesting to see how the NFL ultimately responds to this. They have been very quiet so far.

tembrach

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It bred me and I am in no way an "incognito"

As a man, you have to stand up for yourself. Hell a college locker room is full of alpha males, so I can only imagine what an NFL locker room is like. You HAVE to be a man and stand on your own two feet. Hell, any man anywhere cannot allow someone to continue to take advantage of them.

I think your perspective is the one that's skewed. We have waaaaaay too many soft males out there and not enough MEN that will stand up for what's right.

Ya know incognito was a definite psycho.There is a difference between resisting bullying,and running risk of being murdered by an evil MoFo.. If you do not believe me, ask the victims of Hernandex

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UH-OH Miami might be needing a new coaching staff next year if this is true. Sucks to be a fin.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what went down inside the locker room but those voicemails are comedy.

He was throwing out insults and talking about slapping him and his mother. Shitting in mouths? :laugh3:

Dissing his work ethic.

Wow that some hard core bullying. :rolleyes: Martin must be devastated.

This whole thing is over the top. Could have been handled internally before it got blown up.