• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ND vs FSU Pre Game Thread:

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda surprising ... thought it might be the other way around. :shocked:

Ya, I think our holder for FGs can be blamed for the 89%. :whistle:

Were either of those FG attempts inside the red zone though? I think Golson has I know at least a couple of RZ turnovers this year as well. That might account more than those missed FG's.

Last edited by a moderator:

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw what I presume to be the post-game presser of Kelly's and him talking about the TOs. Kelly was asked what can be done about Golson's TOs. Kelly's like, well we'll just continue to support him... blah blah blah. Really coach?

Wasn't it Lou, I know many coaches have done this but memory is telling me there was someone that had fumble-itis and Lou made him carry a ball around campus the whole week and even told students that they should try 'stripping' him of the ball... does that ring a bell for anyone? I'm getting old-er... 44 tomorrow, I'm kind of glad my birthday comes in between games though I love the years it falls on a Saturday. I swear that story came out of ND for one of our guys back in the 90s perhaps?

Anyway, point being, there's ways to cure the kid, you just gotta show some tough love coach. FFS, Golson had a year off, went to this fucking QB guru and in all that time he hasn't learned how to cover the damned ball? Who the funk is coaching these kids that fundamentals are so poor? McCoy is the same way as are many other QBs/RBs. It's like we just stopped teaching fundamentals at all levels. That doesn't seem possible...

Not totally sure about Lou, but it does sound familiar and something like he would do. I even suggested in another thread that BK should make EG eat, drink & sleep with a football. It just makes sense, from a psychological standpoint, anyway.

And I totally agree with the bold. Do you remember how BK would just scream at Rees? He seems to handle Golson with kid gloves, I swear, in comparison to how he treated 'poor Tommy'. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a coach getting in a kid's face when the situation calls for it, but dayum, he would just bust blood vessels at the way he went after Rees. I actually felt sorry for the guy ... he took a lot of abuse from Kelly. I often wonder if it was b/c Rees wasn't one of Kelly's boys and Goldson is. :noidea: Remember these?

Purple-Kelly.jpg
tommy-rees-crist-featured.jpg
Brian-Kelly-screaming-10.jpg
Brian-kelly-screaming-4.jpg

It's a real wonder that Rees had any shred of confidence left after being the recipient of so many of BK's tirades! A lesser kid would have folded, but my hat was always off to Tommy for taking the shit ... and he took a lot.

I guess, maybe, Kelly feels that he cant treat Golson that way for whatever reason. I've seen instances on the sidelines where Kelly is just 'gently' talking to Golson and Everett kinda just blows him off and walks away if he doesn't seem to want to hear it. It's amazing.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were either of those FG attempts inside the red zone though? I think Golson has I know at least a couple of RZ turnovers this year as well. That might account more than those missed FG's.

Good point & question. I just automatically took for granted that they all were, but come to think about it ... :think:??? I'm pretty sure one of them were last week, but now I'm 'unsure' if all of them were. Nice catch.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kelly was harder on Rees because Rees was mentally tougher than Golson.

It seems like anytime Kelly confronts Golson, Golson looks like he's about to cry, and then when he takes the field on our next possession, he seems rattled and completely lacking any sort of confidence.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kelly was harder on Rees because Rees was mentally tougher than Golson.

It seems like anytime Kelly confronts Golson, Golson looks like he's about to cry, and then when he takes the field on our next possession, he seems rattled and completely lacking any sort of confidence.

There's a number of things at play here. Number one, I agree, he treats players differently based on what he perceives motivates them. Tommy Rees looks like nothing phases him, ever. He also never looked like a guy who could get up for anything. While having ice in the veins is a good trait, especially at QB, a little passion doesn't hurt either, and I think Kelly was trying to stir some passion in him. Also, in fairness, some of those screenshot rants weren't at Tommy Rees. I think the famous purpleface rant picture we always see, he was actually tearing into TJ Jones, who didn't turn around to catch that pass as we were driving against South Florida, turned it over as we were about to score. He was livid and in my opinion, rightfully so. That play was all on Jones, and it was at a critical point in the game. Had we scored there, we would have been right back in it as it was early in the 3rd quarter after the long rain delay. I also think that 2011, Kelly was starting to feel some pressure about the job and obtaining some success. He got the 2010 honeymoon. I think he wanted to come out and have a big year. However, a poor defense and too many turnovers all year killed that team.

I also agree that Golson is a little more of a headcase and probably would wilt under that type of constant yelling. He already has a "I don't want to hear it right now coach" demeanoer when he comes to the sideline after turning it over. Ever notice how there's the intial conversation, Golson tries to get away from him as fast as he can, and then moments later, they have the real heart to heart. In years past, when he had Rees to go to, he'd just sit Everett and say cool off. He knows he can't do that now.

Last, its a touchy issue, but Kelly is a conssummate politician. He is probably aware of the optics of a white head coach ripping into his black star QB and how that looks on TV. This is a guy that has already shown he has NFL aspirations. Things like that matter to GMs. An NFL head coaches job really primarily consists of, control the locker room. If he ever wants a head coaching gig in the NFL, he can't have that image playing.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are all fair points and probably quite accurate. You're right sometimes I see Golson's face and I'm like is this kid getting ready to break down in tears? Nothing really wrong with that, my kid is the same way, well sometimes.

I didn't necessarily mean he should yell at the kid but I do mean as far as tough love he's got say to the kid look; You've had X weeks to work on your ball security and now you've had like 10 TOs in 3 games, that shit can't fly, you need to carry that ball around all day long... etc. I think it'd help, especially if his peers are slapping at his elbow all day long!

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff here ... pretty good Holtz impersonation too ...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTFnFplG7Rs]Tales from the Past: Aaron Taylor - YouTube[/ame]

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't it Lou, I know many coaches have done this but memory is telling me there was someone that had fumble-itis and Lou made him carry a ball around campus the whole week and even told students that they should try 'stripping' him of the ball... does that ring a bell for anyone? I'm getting old-er... 44 tomorrow, I'm kind of glad my birthday comes in between games though I love the years it falls on a Saturday. I swear that story came out of ND for one of our guys back in the 90s perhaps?
Here's what I thought of when u said that:

program_box.jpg

Omar Epps' character had a fumbling problem so the coach made him take the ball everywhere and teammates tried knocking it out at any moment. Great movie.

Last edited by a moderator:

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Kelly yanking Golson for Malik if Golson turns the ball over against FSU. Gives Golson a chance to step back during the game and really realize he can't be turning the ball over and gives Malik experience in a huge game.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Kelly yanking Golson for Malik if Golson turns the ball over against FSU. Gives Golson a chance to step back during the game and really realize he can't be turning the ball over and gives Malik experience in a huge game.

No way he takes out Golson. The ship will sink with Golson at the helm.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Golson won't get pulled.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a number of things at play here. Number one, I agree, he treats players differently based on what he perceives motivates them. Tommy Rees looks like nothing phases him, ever. He also never looked like a guy who could get up for anything. While having ice in the veins is a good trait, especially at QB, a little passion doesn't hurt either, and I think Kelly was trying to stir some passion in him. Also, in fairness, some of those screenshot rants weren't at Tommy Rees. I think the famous purpleface rant picture we always see, he was actually tearing into TJ Jones, who didn't turn around to catch that pass as we were driving against South Florida, turned it over as we were about to score. He was livid and in my opinion, rightfully so. That play was all on Jones, and it was at a critical point in the game. Had we scored there, we would have been right back in it as it was early in the 3rd quarter after the long rain delay. I also think that 2011, Kelly was starting to feel some pressure about the job and obtaining some success. He got the 2010 honeymoon. I think he wanted to come out and have a big year. However, a poor defense and too many turnovers all year killed that team.

I also agree that Golson is a little more of a headcase and probably would wilt under that type of constant yelling. He already has a "I don't want to hear it right now coach" demeanoer when he comes to the sideline after turning it over. Ever notice how there's the intial conversation, Golson tries to get away from him as fast as he can, and then moments later, they have the real heart to heart. In years past, when he had Rees to go to, he'd just sit Everett and say cool off. He knows he can't do that now.

Last, its a touchy issue, but Kelly is a conssummate politician. He is probably aware of the optics of a white head coach ripping into his black star QB and how that looks on TV. This is a guy that has already shown he has NFL aspirations. Things like that matter to GMs. An NFL head coaches job really primarily consists of, control the locker room. If he ever wants a head coaching gig in the NFL, he can't have that image playing.

I was going to comment on a couple other things you said, but this one caught my attention.

Do you really believe that Kelly wants to coach in the NFL? I guess when he was meeting with the Eagles, that was a sign of it, but I still believe he was using that as leverage. For some reason, I feel like Kelly has the job he wants, and is going to be around for awhile.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if it was from "The Program" I doubt that was the inspiration for any false recollection I had because I don't really think I've ever watched that one. I was kind of anti-James Caan until the last couple years and even still I haven't watched that movie for any length of time.

But yeah... protect the rock!

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to comment on a couple other things you said, but this one caught my attention.

Do you really believe that Kelly wants to coach in the NFL? I guess when he was meeting with the Eagles, that was a sign of it, but I still believe he was using that as leverage. For some reason, I feel like Kelly has the job he wants, and is going to be around for awhile.

I hope you are right but I think he bolts. Every year ND has players suspended and I think he is getting sick of ND Academic department. Plus Kelly is called the Program builder, once its built he leaves. With the success of Pete and Chip I see him as the next College coach to try it.

I hope I am wrong because I think he can build something special here at ND. To me he looks and seems like a college coach but I said the same about Chip(offense is college) and Pete(Rah rah stuff)

Lillyliverd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that it matters, but I can imagine there are more than a few ND haters that will cheer for ND tomorrow because of the stink that's coming out of FSU.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda worry about this team will respond to being on the road in a true road game for the first time all year

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that it matters, but I can imagine there are more than a few ND haters that will cheer for ND tomorrow because of the stink that's coming out of FSU.

Probably has more to do with the fact that an ND win boosts other conferences' chances at the playoffs, with the working assumption that two SEC teams will be in playoff, and/or ND will drop a game (or 2) later on. Also, the SEC wants us to knock off FSU to increase their chances of getting multiple teams in. This is nothing but conference tribalism at play. As much "stink" as FSU has, that won't mitigatr the hate most non fans have toward us

Lillyliverd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably has more to do with the fact that an ND win boosts other conferences' chances at the playoffs, with the working assumption that two SEC teams will be in playoff, and/or ND will drop a game (or 2) later on. Also, the SEC wants us to knock off FSU to increase their chances of getting multiple teams in. This is nothing but conference tribalism at play. As much "stink" as FSU has, that won't mitigatr the hate most non fans have toward us

Why would anyone assume ND would lose a game (or 2) after they beat FSU on the road?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they do have a tougher schedule the rest of the way compared to FSU.