• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate these opt outs....I think SF did a great job to limit the opt outs on Snell too--- signing him to like a 5 year deal with opt outs after every year is just deranged. Only having to do 2 years was smart with the opt out after year 1.....with pitchers those deals will almost always get you in big trouble but limiting to 2 years makes sense.

if he is good- he opts out- if he isn't great or gets injured- you just have 1 year of risk--- taking on 3-4 (or more) years of risk without the upside of him having to stay is just dumb.

i hate how these players have all these opt outs now.
It’s moving back to the older model of shorter contracts putting more risk and more reward on the players. It’s like they are betting on themselves now a lot more often

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like the Giants offseason.

I think the Korean CF is an interesting signing in todays MLB- he seems to be a very similar bat to Kwan on the Guardians- a good stable setter that wont strike out

I know Ray wont be ready for a while- but if he gets healthy--- him, Snell, and possibly Harrison, can really add to a rotation headlined by Webb. Chapman is an upgrade.

That is a tough division with ARizona and of course the insane Dodgers- but the Giants made themselves into a team that has to be taken seriously.
Yeah not bad considering they still can’t get big time hitters to sign there (due mostly to the park). A rotation of Webb Snell Cobb Ray Harrison has the potential to be the best in the NL

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s moving back to the older model of shorter contracts putting more risk and more reward on the players. It’s like they are betting on themselves now a lot more often
sort of- but these opt outs "protect them" in case of bad performance or injury.

If I was a team I would hate having to sign these deals--- where you signa guy for 6 years (or more) but the opt outs just let them get out of it-- they are protected in case they suck or get hurt- but if they are good they just opt out--- if I was a GM I would hate these deals. It is why I think SF did good to limit the contract to 2 years. If it was a 5 year with opt outs-I would hate the deal- there is no team upside at all.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sort of- but these opt outs "protect them" in case of bad performance or injury.

If I was a team I would hate having to sign these deals--- where you signa guy for 6 years (or more) but the opt outs just let them get out of it-- they are protected in case they suck or get hurt- but if they are good they just opt out--- if I was a GM I would hate these deals. It is why I think SF did good to limit the contract to 2 years. If it was a 5 year with opt outs-I would hate the deal- there is no team upside at all.
Of course I meant the 2 year deals with an opt out the second year. Giants lately sign pitchers to that type a lot

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah not bad considering they still can’t get big time hitters to sign there (due mostly to the park). A rotation of Webb Snell Cobb Ray Harrison has the potential to be the best in the NL
honestly not many big bats hit free agency it seems like---- I mean Ohtani and Judge were 2 but unsurprisingly they went to the Yanks and Dodgers. IS Bellinger a "big bat"? ehh- maybe but a loooot of risk there.

I think the Giants will pay and get a big bat- but its not going to be a Soto or Judge or Ohtani--- I think a tier below is realistic- but those highest tiers seem out of reach for anyone but the Yanks and Dodgers--- maybe another team or two-----

the good news is that- especially if the Yanks resign Soto---- both them and the Dodgers will likely be out on any big bats for quite a while---- while that might be a stupid conclusion and can easily change---- i would think even their resources aren't infinite....if you are paying Judge, Soto and Stanton insane money--- and Betts, Freeman, Ohtani, etc....then I gotta think that would take them out of the next few big guys--- which will make it interesting.

Philly seems to be pretty capped too for the short-mid term as well-- Orioles will have issues just keeping all their own guys..........Red Sox, Giants, Mets , maybe Angels seem to be the teams positioned in the next 2-3 years- maybe Mariners. The Giants can hold their own in that group.

Blue Jays are going to have issues and a lot of $ to try and keep Vlad and Bichete....Padres are tapped.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had his guaranteed money been like 20-25 then won’t be too big of a deal but 40?
Only $14M/year is not too bad instead of risking to pay him if he goes this year. Mooney and Gabe Davis will make about that much. Might look like a great deal if he produces. I mean Lazard was making $11M/year

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty shocked they didn't wait. What if he doesn't play well, there is always an if

v
The $41M includes this years option year which is already fully guaranteed. Makes sense now.

It's 3 years for $41M - $28M guaranteed after this year. I am fine with this. Even if he is average that is not a lot of money

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,056.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screenshot_20240319-153323~2.pngLooks like this scared some teams off and why he was still available.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty shocked they didn't wait. What if he doesn't play well, there is always an if

v

He didn't live up to expectations in Denver. Don't think it's entirely his fault though. In four season he had 9 different QB's. And in one game the Broncos had to start a rb, Phillip Lindsay, at QB.

Hope it's the right move for the Browns.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The $41M includes this years option year which is already fully guaranteed. Makes sense now.

It's 3 years for $41M - $28M guaranteed after this year. I am fine with this. Even if he is average that is not a lot of money
I think its fine---I was kind of excited to see him playing with pressure to play well though to be honest.

Supposedly the Vikings offered Jefferson 40M a season and he turned it down---- and looking at all the other deals- a good #2 is going to be in that 12-18M dollar range at WR- especially with the cap beginning to rise

with the Browns not having any of Cooper, Moore or Jeudy signed up past this season- I think they feel at least they have something to fall back against now to build the receiver core going forward.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

looks like -at least right now- their is a tier of 5-6 guys at the top of the MLB draft...... I like 3 guys for the Guardians- Condon, Bazzana or Caglione.....Bazzana is def the surest thing--- CAglione the moon shot.......Condon kind of in between.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thing is MLB teams HATE picking 1B as the #1 pick- barely ever happens---- and Condon and Caglione are both probably limited to 1B....Bazzana is 2B, and I think he is plenty athletic to play outfield if they wanted to move him out there.

Right now- I think Bazzana would be the pick--- but so hard to tell.....they could sign him under slot and really rake up some talent later on too.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The better sport

Because we actually know who the players are.

It's been past time for the NBA and NCAA to sit down and figure shit out. Declare out of HS, but if you commit to college, you're there for 2 years.