• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My Thoughts on the Game

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only talking about our guys.

Players of the game.

1a. Kniles Davis - Did a good job filling in for Charles and whenever you score two TDs in a close game, you deserve top billing.
1b. Alex Smith - There were some things I didn't like that I will mention later, but I thought he stepped it up in the end. Play-calling got us. Note: I'm not putting him above the winning team's players.
3. Kelce - Thought he had some good plays and limited negative plays.

Worst:

1. Special teams: Allowing the big return, being off-sides.
2. Santos - Yes, rookie and Denver would have gone for a TD if they had only been up one.
3. Refs - While some challenges were correct, the original ruling seemed to favor Broncos.

Key plays:

1. Play-calling at the end. Regardless if the rest, they had their chance.
2. The catch fumble ruled inconclusive. Different ruling reversed? I don't think so - that was 7 points - 3 minimum had we stopped.
3. The no-score drive. Regardless of the miss, play-calling was again off.
4. Smith not taking a chance on the last off-sides. I don't see where he could have got it but it's a free play! Go somewhere else than taking a fake sack drop the ball.
5. Smith's illegal forward pass - get some points. Note: the punt being so deep helped get our first three and out and would Santos have made it.

Coaching - I put a lot on Reid and some on the defense (good considering injuries, opponent, and game situation). I probably put more on Reid than the players. BUT, it took good coaching to be relatively prepared (24 points only and long drive). So, I would give Reid's red zone play calling, the worst. In game, the next worst. And a good grade in prep. Sutton's first drive was the worst, but they settled down and injuries were big.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Punting on the 50, too. But that could have gone either way.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I will say is good game to your side. The Chiefs came in short handed, lost even more talent shortly after the game began, and still took it to the Broncos today. I give your team a lot of credit. There are no moral victories at 0-2, but after the way the Chiefs looked today, I wouldn't be so quick to write off the season the way it seems a lot of Chiefs fans on Arrowhead Pride and Arrowhead Addict have.

Go Broncos!

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the season is NOT over, there has to be some urgency starting next week or it will be rather grim, quickly. It hurts to hang around so long to very end in this game and fall short- but that's football. We will know a lot more about this team after this next Sunday. Also, very pleased to see more involvement from Kelce, he will have to be a big factor in the offense to have any sustained success this season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only talking about our guys.

Players of the game.

1a. Kniles Davis - Did a good job filling in for Charles and whenever you score two TDs in a close game, you deserve top billing.
1b. Alex Smith - There were some things I didn't like that I will mention later, but I thought he stepped it up in the end. Play-calling got us. Note: I'm not putting him above the winning team's players.
3. Kelce - Thought he had some good plays and limited negative plays.

Worst:

1. Special teams: Allowing the big return, being off-sides.
2. Santos - Yes, rookie and Denver would have gone for a TD if they had only been up one.
3. Refs - While some challenges were correct, the original ruling seemed to favor Broncos.

Key plays:

1. Play-calling at the end. Regardless if the rest, they had their chance.
2. The catch fumble ruled inconclusive. Different ruling reversed? I don't think so - that was 7 points - 3 minimum had we stopped.
3. The no-score drive. Regardless of the miss, play-calling was again off.
4. Smith not taking a chance on the last off-sides. I don't see where he could have got it but it's a free play! Go somewhere else than taking a fake sack drop the ball.
5. Smith's illegal forward pass - get some points. Note: the punt being so deep helped get our first three and out and would Santos have made it.

Coaching - I put a lot on Reid and some on the defense (good considering injuries, opponent, and game situation). I probably put more on Reid than the players. BUT, it took good coaching to be relatively prepared (24 points only and long drive). So, I would give Reid's red zone play calling, the worst. In game, the next worst. And a good grade in prep. Sutton's first drive was the worst, but they settled down and injuries were big.

1a- Yeah, that pretty much was the hope for Davis if Jamaal went down for whatever reason. For the 2nd time in a row, he filled in admirably.
1b- Lot's of credit to Smith because he ultimately was moving the chains and keeping Manning where I like him- which in the end was all that matters- except points of course... but in between the 20's he was quite competent.
3- I completely agree with Kelce, but I am surprised we didn't try to go towards him more in the redzone, it was rather baffling.

1. Yeah, the Special Teams blunder by who I will politely refer to as Mr. 24 botched the integrity of the coverage- Caldwell took advantage.

2. I am no kicker, but that ball off the foot has more movement I would want to see from a Soccer player, not a football kicker.

3. I was pretty upset with the whole 2 minute warning offside debacle, but ultimately we were given many other chances so that doesn't interest me too much so much as the botched RZ opps which lost us the game.

The bottom line is simple for the offense based off of this week, in my opinion: you're in the RZ- you score. When you hold the ball for 10 minutes- you score. Not only do you score, but you should score TD's. How to do that? Well, we will see this team's answer next week against the 'Phins.

The defense gave up quite a few yards per play, but it would be disingenuous to not acknowledge who is on offense for Denver. Was surprised that they bent (who besides Seattle's D doesn't get their D bent by that offense?) but never quite broke completely. Going to be interesting to monitor the Eric Berry situation, I really don't think we have much a shot at NE or SF if we don't have him.

Last edited by a moderator:

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least the first game with Denver is out of the way. If they somehow win 2/3 and get Berry and Charles 'healthy' maybe they hang around the wc race. Davis is more than capable of filling in for Charles but losing Berry hurts an already underwhelming secondary. Excited about Kelce though.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least the first game with Denver is out of the way. If they somehow win 2/3 and get Berry and Charles 'healthy' maybe they hang around the wc race. Davis is more than capable of filling in for Charles but losing Berry hurts an already underwhelming secondary. Excited about Kelce though.

It's going to be interesting. Miami is a must win in my opinion. I honestly feel we need that tiebreaker if we are serious about a WC spot. The SF and NE pair are problematic, but the Pats seem to be a lot less intimidating for me since it is at home. If we flop in Miami, we can focus on other things (Like Kelce, development of Fulton, contracts, etc) until proven otherwise.

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, and it wouldn't be the worst thing getting another top 5-6 pick for a WR who can step right in..or maybe an OT/CB.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, and it wouldn't be the worst thing getting another top 5-6 pick for a WR who can step right in..or maybe an OT/CB.

I would imagine we are cutting Bowe unless he just blows up these next 14 games due to his obnoxious contract. So, I would think a WR would be a very strong bet if there is a top flight one in this draft. As much as I despise Bowe's work ethic, I can't deny we are a much, much easier team to defend when we have zero legitimate WR's.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remaining Schedule

@ Miami
Vs New England (primetime)
@ SF

Bye

@ Chargers
Vs Rams
Vs Jets
@ Buffalo
vs Seattle
@ Oakland
Vs Denver
@ Arizona
Vs Oakland
@ Pitt
Vs SD

Bolded are games I think we pretty much have to win at this point if you believe this team still has a chance at a postseason bid. Going to be a very difficult road to get these 7 wins + 2-3 more wins. Not going to pronounce the season dead when almost nobody expected this team to start better than 1-1 to begin with. 0-3 though is just too much to overcome though.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i've already said it too many time. Travis Kelce needs to be starting, no if's, and's, or maybe's about it. and the sooner Reid realizes it, the better...

also the decision NOT to go for it in the 1st half on 4th down STILL bugs the bejeebers outta me. great job of time of possession in the first half, poor job of turning that into much needed points....

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i've already said it too many time. Travis Kelce needs to be starting, no if's, and's, or maybe's about it. and the sooner Reid realizes it, the better...

also the decision NOT to go for it in the 1st half on 4th down STILL bugs the bejeebers outta me. great job of time of possession in the first half, poor job of turning that into much needed points....

Which goes back to your first point. Where were the Kelce targets in the RZ? Even Harris I don't look for the ball got a target.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which goes back to your first point. Where were the Kelce targets in the RZ? Even Harris I don't look for the ball got a target.

Bingo...!

i know there's no true moral victories in losing, but this was a winnable game. not only did injuries and bad execution get us in the end, but poor play calling as well...

not ENTIRLEY mad at the coaching staff. like i said earlier they did a masterfull job of mostly keeping Manning and the Donk's offense off the field in the second half, but let's face it. a little here and a little there so to speak and we COULD be talking about an upset...

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would imagine we are cutting Bowe unless he just blows up these next 14 games due to his obnoxious contract. So, I would think a WR would be a very strong bet if there is a top flight one in this draft. As much as I despise Bowe's work ethic, I can't deny we are a much, much easier team to defend when we have zero legitimate WR's.

truth to tell, it wouldn't break my heart to see him go...

just sayin'...

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bingo...!

i know there's no true moral victories in losing, but this was a winnable game. not only did injuries and bad execution get us in the end, but poor play calling as well...

not ENTIRLEY mad at the coaching staff. like i said earlier they did a masterfull job of mostly keeping Manning and the Donk's offense off the field in the second half, but let's face it. a little here and a little there so to speak and we COULD be talking about an upset...

If we scored that touchdown (and the 2 pt conversion), I have a feeling a lot of people would claim we played a "picture-perfect game" to beat Manning. I can't really blame the coaching staff too much here because of the TOP being so wildly in our favor. Still irritating we left points on the field.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
truth to tell, it wouldn't break my heart to see him go...

just sayin'...

Yeah, if we could get a FA WR, and a WR in the draft, I would be happy theoretically. I am still in the mindset of maneuvering to resign Houston and Poe though. Can't let those guys leave- they are too important.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On another note, while Knile wasn't exactly overmatched out there (though his YPC was under 4- how much of that is a ... questionable... O-line at work I don't now) he did show some of that indecisiveness that he had last year as well. His speed plays down quite a bit because of it, and it hurts his value quite a bit, but he is still plenty playable- especially in the RZ.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penalty on DEN: Delay of Game (Declined), Penalty on KAN: Personal Foul (Offsetting), Penalty on DEN: Personal Foul (Offsetting) (no play)

WTF happened when there was off-setting penalties on both teams and a delay of game by Denver that was, according to the ref, "declined." Why the hell would the Chiefs decline a delay of game when offsetting fouls cause the down to be replayed? Did the ref mess up the call? I could see declining if the down changed, but it was still second down. "Umm, ref, why make it 2nd and 35? Just keep it at 2nd and 30, alright?"