• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My Thoughts On The Final

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why on Earth would you be bitter?

Your team made the Final 4 two years in a row and beat an undefeated team?

As a Wisconsin basketball fan, you cannot set your goal at title every year like the UK/Duke/UNC fans do. It's just different. Your program recruits differently and plays for different things.

I really think this group of kids provided all you could have asked. The fact that they lost the title game (if I were a Wisconsin fan) would be a formality.

If you really want a title, then I suggest you change teams, because (in general) Wisconsin does not play for that.

What are you talking about? Where did I say I expected a title every year? I expected a title one year...this year. This was a title-worthy team.

We were the second best team in the country all year. We beat the third best. Then we beat the best. Then we played the 4th best. A team that had the most efficient offense ever could not shoot to save their lives. Our non-Koenig guys all shot over 62% inside all year. They missed 15 layups yesterday. Sam Dekker was 50% on threes during the tourney, but he was 0-6 yesterday. Two of our defenders missed switch after switch yesterday. A team that shot over 80% on free throws in tournament started 3-7. Tyus Jones and Grayson Allen decided they were Michael Jordan on some of their shots.

And after all of this, the Badgers had the lead with under 4 minutes left. They were 36-0 when they had the lead in the last five. After six of our seven players played like shit, the title was right there for the taking.

So yeah, it sucks. I said "title or bust" at the start of the year. It certainly wasn't a bust, but it definitely feels like this team didn't achieve their destiny.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, to pretend Bo hasn't been against one and done is absurd. He's only ever seriously offered five potential ones: Devin Harris, Dekker, Looney, Ellenson, and Stone. All five were Wisconsin natives. He made clear that all of them would be there to improve, and if they weren't team first, they wouldn't play. And the two who he got both wound up staying more than a year and improving their draft stock.

Again, he has never courted an OOS one and done, even when it may have pissed off other top recruits. Find me another coach of his caliber with that type of anti 1 and done record. You won't.
Totally absurd. If Okafor and KAT had said they wanted to play for Wisconsin, Ryan would spooge all over himself. The one and done rule wasn't instituted by Cal or Coach K. I'm sure Cal would love to still have Anthony Davis, Nerlens Noel, Julius Randle, James Young, and all 6-7 kids UK has going to the NBA back next year. That's not the way it works anymore, so you maximize the talent you bring in within the rules.

Ryan saying he doesn't believe in One and Done's=One and Done's don't want to play for Bo Ryan

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
apparently bo was talking about the Russell Wilson rent a player and not the 1 and dones

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So yeah, it sucks. I said "title or bust" at the start of the year. It certainly wasn't a bust, but it definitely feels like this team didn't achieve their destiny.

I don't know if you can reasonably expect a title in NCAAB. 2015 UK is obviously the prime example of this.

Anyhow, it was a great season for you guys.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a person that has no emotional ties too either team... Refs were KILLING me just from an entertainment standpoint ... Bad call's went both way's for sure, but they still impacted the game and it's pissing me off watching basketball and seeing refs blow there dam whistles over and over .... These kids only get 5 fouls per game in 40 minutes of B-ball and these refs are making it almost impossible too play good defense.... Duke dealt with cheesy call's, so did Wisconsin, and it did impact how the game was played... NCAA has set the tone that refs can impact the outcome of games, and it's suspicious too say the least... NBA does the same dam thing and has for years.... I don't miss the NBA for that exact reason...

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He offers them. I can cite tons of coaches that dont offer 1 and dones, most of them fail to sign them also. Your spin is quite entertaining, but the fact remains he pursues one and dones.
Can you cite a consistently successful coach that hasn't recruited a one and done?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And is two good seasons that consistent?

RonBorges

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good analysis. Very tough to beat Duke in a close game... refs don't want to get rep as Duke Killers.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you cite a consistently successful coach that hasn't recruited a one and done?

That hasn't recruited a one and done? Or that hasn't GOTTEN a one and done.

Pitino actually doesn't get that many (if any) one and dones and L'ville is a beast. That is what I would say is the best example.

If you look at the guys from the Ville in the NBA, it's not exactly your star players.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That hasn't recruited a one and done? Or that hasn't GOTTEN a one and done.

Pitino actually doesn't get that many (if any) one and dones and L'ville is a beast. That is what I would say is the best example.

If you look at the guys from the Ville in the NBA, it's not exactly your star players.
Codax is slamming Ryan for recruiting a one and done and stated that he "can cite tons of coaches" that haven't even recruited a one and done.

I can't think of any successful program from a major conference who hasn't at least tried for a top player, especially from your state. That's a good way to become unemployed.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Codax is slamming Ryan for recruiting a one and done and stated that he "can cite tons of coaches" that haven't even recruited a one and done.

pardon me? Please reread and try to comprehend. I never slammed Ryan for recruiting one and dones. I slammed him for being a hypocrite. Please show me where I said I "can cite tons of coaches. Your entire post is utter garbage

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stick to watching the NBA. People watch college in order to see groups of players come together and develop as a team on and off the court. So yes, having three guys who have played together for years agree to play one year together in college before at least 2/3 of them go pro sort of defeats the purpose of college b-ball.

I don't blame K for doing it, but it sucks that he feels he has to.

Feels like he has to? You mean feels like he can?

As long as there is the 1 year rule in place this is going to happen. Are you saying all coaches should refuse to allow these kids to play for their team? Coach K and other coaches do it because those kids are available just like every other kid.

Plus, coach K isn't a notorious 1 and done guy. He has had numerous 4 year players. He is much more in the mold of "recruit the best possible players that will stick around" then to get 1 and dones. Last few years he's gotten some since it is Duke. But he gets PLENTY of 3-4 year guys.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He offers them. I can cite tons of coaches that dont offer 1 and dones, most of them fail to sign them also. Your spin is quite entertaining, but the fact remains he pursues one and dones.
Is this good enough? Or are you going to back pedal from this?

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pardon me? Please reread and try to comprehend. I never slammed Ryan for recruiting one and dones. I slammed him for being a hypocrite. Please show me where I said I "can cite tons of coaches. Your entire post is utter garbage

Bo Ryan recruited Diamond Stone, and he's a one and done possiblilty.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this good enough? Or are you going to back pedal from this?

There are tons of them. Take a look at all the coaches at mid-majors and lower tier P5 schools. Lots of coaches do not recruit 1 and dones. As I said most that do not recruit them, because they can not get them. You are trying to win the internet and missing the entire pt of the discussion. Nobody has slammed a coach for recruiting 1 and dones, just hypocrisy of slamming other coaches for signing one and dones while at the same time recruiting 1 and dones.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
apparently bo was talking about the Russell Wilson rent a player and not the 1 and dones

Yeah, I should have looked at the quote. It makes it quite obvious:

Bo Ryan said:
But every player that’s played through the program, okay, we don’t do a rent-a-player. You know what I mean? Try to take a fifth-year guy.

So either way, no hypocrisy there.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are tons of them. Take a look at all the coaches at mid-majors and lower tier P5 schools. Lots of coaches do not recruit 1 and dones. As I said most that do not recruit them, because they can not get them. You are trying to win the internet and missing the entire pt of the discussion. Nobody has slammed a coach for recruiting 1 and dones, just hypocrisy of slamming other coaches for signing one and dones while at the same time recruiting 1 and dones.
So you now you are admitting that you did say you could "cite tons of coaches". Most of those coaches don't have any chance at those players because their programs absolutely suck and would provide no exposure for the player. Why waste hundreds of dollars and their extreme slim budget to recruit someone they can't get?

I wish they would just do away with this one and done rule and let them go straight to the NBA.