• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My Thoughts On The Final

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wrote these half-sober on a car ride leaving the game, so they probably are incoherent and or pissy. Sorry about that. Consider this a form of my own therapy.

1. Congrats to Duke. Winning a national championship is never easy, especially with eight scholarship players. Coach K is a legend and absolutely has a claim to being the greatest coach of all-time. Guys like Cook, Winslow, and Jefferson noticeably improved under him, and it led to a title. Your fans are also great.

2. Like I said before the game, Tyus Jones is our kryptonite. He was attacking all day long, and our guards couldn’t keep up with him. Frank did a solid job contesting the majority of the shots when he was in the game. Whenever he went out, Duje picked up fouls faster than you could blink. That was a disastrous matchup and it was so utterly predictable.

3. Nigel Hayes played his worst defensive game of the season today. It’s as simple as that. There were so many missed switches. The reality is that Frank, Gasser, and Sam are very good to great defenders. That is 3/5 of the team. The other two spots (Bronson/Trae and Nigel/Duje) were bad all year and they imploded tonight. Considering Nigel and Bronson are the only two of our seven rotation players likely to return, it sure doesn’t look great for our defense next year. Or our team for that matter.

4. But even with all those disasters, we still had the better looks. They just didn’t drop. We were a top fifteen free throw team all year, clutch all tourney, and then we started 3-7 today. Sam shot 50% all tourney and he whiffed on open three after open three. If we shoot as well as normal, we are cutting down the nets. That’s gonna be the toughest thing to swallow from this game. On the other end of the spectrum, the Blue Devils made some insane, championship level shots.

5. I thought the refs called a pretty even game, but it sure was suspicious that they started calling every foul in the world on us when we were building that nine point lead and trying to expand it. A team that gets 12 fouls per game gets eight calls in eight minutes? Really? Some were fine calls where the call was made late. One of two of them were just blatantly wrong. They did the same thing when Duke was up by five in the first half, getting Winslow and Okafor in foul trouble. Maybe it evened out in the end, but it sure took the wind out of our sails.

And the replay was wrong. You could tell it on the big screen in Indy, and when I saw how clear it was on the Vine just now, I wanted to throw up. That's two straight years we got fucked over by amazingly obvious replay calls. What's the point in having replay if you can't get it right?

6. Depth did beat us in the end. Multiple players of ours looked winded at the end. Duke also had some depth concerns, but Tyus was like the Energizer Bunny out there. We just didn’t have guys capable of giving our starters enough rest, and we didn’t appear to be as conditioned as well as Duke.

7. I know everybody is all obsessed with head-to-head. We are 0 for 2 against Duke, but nothing changes my opinion that we are a better overall team which matches up horribly against them. One could say the same thing about Kentucky and Us, as well. Same with Virginia and Michigan State. I still think stats like KenPom which measure performance over the entire season are better measures.

8. Building off of 7, the NCAA tourney committee seeding still blows my mind. It was remarkably clear that the merit of the top teams heading into the tournament was: 1. Kentucky, 2/3. Wisconsin, 2/3. Arizona, 4/5. Duke, 4/5. Villanova. It blows my mind that we had to play three of those teams, winning two of them, but Duke can walk in and only play one of us, on a night where we shot poorly, and win the title. I’m not saying we were the team that got fucked over…we lose to any of these four if we shot like we did tonight. I’m just saying that it feels like a raw deal that three of the best four teams were put on the same side.

9. I just feel terrible for Bo and Frank. Bo took a bunch of 3 star recruits and made them on par with teams loaded to McDonald’s All-Americans. A team built around a guy whose #2 offer was Northwestern just went 36-4 with the most efficient offense in history. Bo deserved that title. He really did. And to lose because of two guys who became best friends on AAU teams at age 14 and played on Team USA decided to form a package deal? It’s just doesn’t seem right. I really hate the idea of a world where a bunch of packs of 15-year-old super-recruits decide to play together and whoever they chooses wins. I can’t imagine that was as enjoyable as watching this team of 3-4 star recruits from Wisconsin, Illinois, and Ohio come together. I respect the hell out of Cook for continuing to improve over four years, but the rest of their championship just seems hollow.

And as for Frank, it is what it is. He was Tyus’ even in every way. He got Okafor into foul trouble. Duke couldn’t match his versatility. He scored at will. He rebounded well. When they put two guys on him, Frank found his open teammates (who often missed). I’m glad that Frank went out with such a good game, but beyond saddened that the rest of his teammates couldn’t raise the bar. He deserved better.

10. You can probably tell I’m bitter, right? This one fucking hurts. It really does. None of my teams have ever won a title, and after tonight I’m fully convinced it will never happen. This team really felt like the team of destiny. If this is a sports movie, they absolutely win. It’s not just the underdog coach or the unheralded recruits coming together. It’s the fact that they were so fucking good. In my lifetime, there has certainly never been a team with such low rated recruits and such talent and chemistry. Sure, there were magical runs like the Butler had, but those were sort of flukish. This team was a juggernaut. Nobody could stop them all year. I’m sure I will be able to appreciate two straight Final Fours, the win over Kentucky, and having the lead late in the title game with time. But as for right now, I feel like I got punched in the gut.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Viking fan, I feel your pain on feeling like you will never get a win.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
200.gif

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the crying about the one & done players. It is really really lame.....just as lame as Bo crying about it in his post game press conference

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the crying about the one & done players. It is really really lame.....just as lame as Bo crying about it in his post game press conference

The hilarious irony is they went full court press after 1 and done Diamond Stone. Classic Bo.

And of course the fan base destroyed the poor kid on social media,

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stick to watching the NBA. People watch college in order to see groups of players come together and develop as a team on and off the court. So yes, having three guys who have played together for years agree to play one year together in college before at least 2/3 of them go pro sort of defeats the purpose of college b-ball.

I don't blame K for doing it, but it sucks that he feels he has to.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart - Excellent recap..

Congrats on a great season!

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you're a Cubs fan? My sympathies.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The irony is fantastic. Bo didnt have a problem with calls a game prior. He didnt care about 1 and done the game prior. Straight up classless from a coach.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart...you're less pissed then I thought you would be. Excellent review.

Sorry Wisky came up short. It was a hell of a game to watch though. Agree that your boys looked a bit gassed at the end, but it was still a great game where everything was left out on the court.

Good Luck moving ahead.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The irony is fantastic. Bo didnt have a problem with calls a game prior. He didnt care about 1 and done the game prior. Straight up classless from a coach.
Bo has been outspoken against one and done for years. What he's said he does not mind players going pro if they have the skills after one year, but he never wants his kids to walk in expecting to go pro.

Even for Diamond Stone, he didn't offer Malik Newman, who Stone wanted to be a package deal with. And one of the key reasons we lost Stone was that he know Bo would yank him if he played stupidly. Bo has always been about development over ego, and it hurts him with recruits. But he still wins and wins and wins.

As for the calls in the Kentucky game, I have no idea what you are talking about. Sure we benefitted from two iffy late calls, but so did they. And on the whole I felt they clearly favored Kentucky.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bo has been outspoken against one and done for years. What he's said he does not mind players going pro if they have the skills after one year, but he never wants his kids to walk in expecting to go pro.

Even for Diamond Stone, he didn't offer Malik Newman, who Stone wanted to be a package deal with. And one of the key reasons we lost Stone was that he know Bo would yank him if he played stupidly. Bo has always been about development over ego, and it hurts him with recruits. But he still wins and wins and wins.

As for the calls in the Kentucky game, I have no idea what you are talking about. Sure we benefitted from two iffy late calls, but so did they. And on the whole I felt they clearly favored Kentucky.

He recruited Stone, so he attempted to recruit a one and done. Paint the picture however you like, but he has recruited 1 and done players. YOu dont get to bitch about them, just because you failed to sign them. Its called being a hypocrite

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He recruited Stone, so he attempted to recruit a one and done. Paint the picture however you like, but he has recruited 1 and done players. YOu dont get to bitch about them, just because you failed to sign them. Its called being a hypocrite
Again, to pretend Bo hasn't been against one and done is absurd. He's only ever seriously offered five potential ones: Devin Harris, Dekker, Looney, Ellenson, and Stone. All five were Wisconsin natives. He made clear that all of them would be there to improve, and if they weren't team first, they wouldn't play. And the two who he got both wound up staying more than a year and improving their draft stock.

Again, he has never courted an OOS one and done, even when it may have pissed off other top recruits. Find me another coach of his caliber with that type of anti 1 and done record. You won't.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, to pretend Bo hasn't been against one and done is absurd. He's only ever seriously offered five potential ones: Devin Harris, Dekker, Looney, Ellenson, and Stone. All five were Wisconsin natives. He made clear that all of them would be there to improve, and if they weren't team first, they wouldn't play. And the two who he got both wound up staying more than a year and improving their draft stock.

Again, he has never courted an OOS one and done, even when it may have pissed off other top recruits. Find me another coach of his caliber with that type of anti 1 and done record. You won't.

He offers them. I can cite tons of coaches that dont offer 1 and dones, most of them fail to sign them also. Your spin is quite entertaining, but the fact remains he pursues one and dones.

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin was right there. There were some bad calls that went against them at the end. I do think though that with Duke being in attack mode and with their quickness and athleticism, it tired out Wisconsin. When you get tired, your shot can be affected. They seemed to have a lot of their shots come up short and I do believe they were tired.

Smart, I have ripped your team several times in the past because I thought you overrated them. I can not do that with this season. Wisconsin proved me wrong with how tough they were.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He offers them. I can cite tons of coaches that dont offer 1 and dones, most of them fail to sign them also. Your spin is quite entertaining, but the fact remains he pursues one and dones.

Find me another power conference coach who has made an Elite Eight or better who has never courted an out-of-state one and done. I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Find me another power conference coach who has made an Elite Eight or better who has never courted an out-of-state one and done. I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Nothing to do with it. You can not claim you are against premarital sex, when you troll the bars hitting on women and come home empty.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10. You can probably tell I’m bitter, right? This one fucking hurts. It really does. None of my teams have ever won a title, and after tonight I’m fully convinced it will never happen. This team really felt like the team of destiny. If this is a sports movie, they absolutely win. It’s not just the underdog coach or the unheralded recruits coming together. It’s the fact that they were so fucking good. In my lifetime, there has certainly never been a team with such low rated recruits and such talent and chemistry. Sure, there were magical runs like the Butler had, but those were sort of flukish. This team was a juggernaut. Nobody could stop them all year. I’m sure I will be able to appreciate two straight Final Fours, the win over Kentucky, and having the lead late in the title game with time. But as for right now, I feel like I got punched in the gut.

Why on Earth would you be bitter?

Your team made the Final 4 two years in a row and beat an undefeated team?

As a Wisconsin basketball fan, you cannot set your goal at title every year like the UK/Duke/UNC fans do. It's just different. Your program recruits differently and plays for different things.

I really think this group of kids provided all you could have asked. The fact that they lost the title game (if I were a Wisconsin fan) would be a formality.

If you really want a title, then I suggest you change teams, because (in general) Wisconsin does not play for that.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty disappointed in how the game played out.

Wisconsin had the momentum completely on their side 2 different times in that game and when they had the chance to throw a dagger they couldn't do it.

I really like that Koenig kid a lot and think his potential is sky high. However, last night he took a couple of ill-advised long 3 point shots, one that was late in the game with a lead and plenty of time on the shot clock. It hurt a lot.