• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My take on the Heisman this season

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who I think deserves to win - Melvin Gordon - There is no doubt that Gordon's season is far more dominant than anybody else's. When was the last time a player was less than 400 rushing yards away from Barry Sander's record with 2 games left? Gordon also plays a position that wins it too.

Who I want to see win - Amari Cooper - Amari Cooper is an amazing WR. I think he is a lot better than any WR that Saban has had at Alabama. I don't think he is the most dominant player in his position, and so I think he doesn't deserve to win it and won't win it. But he is not a RB and QB. I want to see a non-RB or QB win it sometime. I wouldn't be disappointed if Gordon or Mariota win it. It's just the position Cooper is in that makes me want him to win it.

Who I think will win it - Marcus Mariota - This is only if Oregon gets revenge on Arizona, and I predicted they will. I am not saying he shouldn't be in the running for it, he has had an incredible season. There has been no reason for him to drop in the Heisman standings, so I think he will win it because he got so much media attention about it. I don't think Gordon will win it if he broke the record, because Mariota has been on top all season long.[/I

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariota deserves it has played through injury multiple times and just total package on and off the field.

Amari Cooper is a great kid also and I think he will have the best pro career barring injury of the group.

Melvin Gordon has put his numbers up in a very weak division IMO.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

140 rushing yards on 8 YPC in 31 minutes against LSU.

Over 2,000 yards in the first three quarters.

200 rushing yards per game against teams with winning records

At the end of the day, if Gordon doesn't win the Heisman, it has nothing to do with him. Outside of his hip issue in the LSU and Western Illinois game, I don't know what he could have improved.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariota deserves it has played through injury multiple times and just total package on and off the field.

Amari Cooper is a great kid also and I think he will have the best pro career barring injury of the group.

You might be correct, but statistically, Gordon is the more dominant player. He needs to average a little over 180 rushing yards these next two games to break Barry Sanders record. Even if he averages 120 rushing yards the next two games, how many running backs can say they were less than 100 yards from the record?

He may have played vs weaker opponents, but he is their offense. Mariota does have a good running back to rely on. Gordan has Stave. Gordon mainly runs between the tackles.

So, here's the game plan against Wisconsin, stop Gordon because they really have nobody else.

Last edited by a moderator:

OnlyCrimson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariota, Cooper and Gordon are all three deserving candidates and I would be okay with anyone of them winning it.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might be correct, but statistically, Gordon is the more dominant player. He needs to average a little over 180 rushing yards these next two games to break Barry Sanders record. Even if he averages 120 rushing yards the next two games, how many running backs can say they were less than 100 yards from the record?

He may have played vs weaker opponents, but he is their offense. Mariota does have a good running back to rely on. Gordan has Stave. Gordon mainly runs between the tackles.

So, here's the game plan against Wisconsin, stop Gordon because they really have nobody else.

Mariota is the game plan too though lol. He is the one that you focus to try and stop and other teams don't.

All 3 are worthy canidates but Marcus has incredible numbers at the most important position. He puts recent Heisman QB's to shame as well.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariota is the game plan too though lol. He is the one that you focus to try and stop and other teams don't.

All 3 are worthy canidates but Marcus has incredible numbers at the most important position. He puts recent Heisman QB's to shame as well.

Ummm Cam Newton?

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm Cam Newton?

Completely my bad not specifying. I was talking about the RG3/Johnny/Jameis trifecta that the media has just salivated over.

Still think Mariota's year is better than Cam's but his was fucking incredible as well.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariota just won it unless Melvin Gordon goes berserk tomorrow, which is certainly possible.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely my bad not specifying. I was talking about the RG3/Johnny/Jameis trifecta that the media has just salivated over.

Still think Mariota's year is better than Cam's but his was fucking incredible as well.

Please tell me how he puts RG3's numbers to shame. I'll be waiting.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please tell me how he puts RG3's numbers to shame. I'll be waiting.

Uhh the only thing he doesn't lead in is passing yards and his season isn't over yet. O I guess completion % too.

Only Newton has put up a comparable QBR.

This year 10 games of 4 plus TDS(most in football)

And only player to EVER throw a TD in first 39 games(ok so this one is a 3 year career over).

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhh the only thing he doesn't lead in is passing yards and his season isn't over yet. O I guess completion % too.

Only Newton has put up a comparable QBR.

This year 10 games of 4 plus TDS(most in football)

And only player to EVER throw a TD in first 39 games(ok so this one is a 3 year career over).

QBR is an ESPN-created stat that has no credibility.

Passer rating is the important stat. At the end of the regular season, RG3 had a higher passer rating (192). Like you said, he had more passing yards (Mariota passed him tonight, but with 13 regular season games instead of 12). He had a higher completion percentage. And more YPA. And more rushing yards.

RG3 was statistically better than Mariota. Pretending that RG3 isn't in the same class statistically is just false.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QBR is an ESPN-created stat that has no credibility.

Passer rating is the important stat. At the end of the regular season, RG3 had a higher passer rating (192). Like you said, he had more passing yards (Mariota passed him tonight, but with 13 regular season games instead of 12). He had a higher completion percentage. And more YPA. And more rushing yards.

RG3 was statistically better than Mariota. Pretending that RG3 isn't in the same class statistically is just false.

He averaged 3.9 yards per carry. He also threw more picks. Had less passing TD's and Rushing TD's

Umm he played 13 games. So everything Marcus accumulates up until tonight is better. QBR is still used to judge QBS and it isn't close.

Mariota's passer rating is 190.2. RG3 is 189.5.

Marcus has no o line at all and its not his fault hes getting his team to play more games by winning a Pac title game and going to bowl game.

His stats are better. Pretty easily. 2 INT's all year hahhaahaha.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are talking about the Heisman Trophy, dude. When RG3 won the trophy, he had 12 games. He had a 192 QB Rating. And he had the edge in several statistics, if not most statistics, when compared to Mariota. Your claim that the only stat which favored RG3 was total passing yards is patently and completely false.

Compare that to Melvin, who in key rushing seasonal stats over the last 20 years is: #1 in rushing yards, #1 in YPC (minimum 200), and top ten in rushing TDs. He has no statistical equal. If you want to bring up facts, keep the truthful. The problem with that argument is that stats favor Melvin.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are talking about the Heisman Trophy, dude. When RG3 won the trophy, he had 12 games. He had a 192 QB Rating. And he had the edge in several statistics, if not most statistics, when compared to Mariota. Your claim that the only stat which favored RG3 was total passing yards is patently and completely false.

Compare that to Melvin, who in key rushing seasonal stats over the last 20 years is: #1 in rushing yards, #1 in YPC (minimum 200), and top ten in rushing TDs. He has no statistical equal. If you want to bring up facts, keep the truthful. The problem with that argument is that stats favor Melvin.

Those are his Heisman numbers. His QBR was 189.5 I found it on 3 different sites. He played 13 games including his bowl game.

The stats favor Marcus when comparing him and RG3 and the stats favor Marcus for the Heisman probably in runaway.

You can tell yourself what you want, doesn't make it right.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, why was it when I made a Top 10 RB thread, Oregon fans (you were the first to) mentioned Royce Freeman? If you think he's a top 10 running back in the country, then how do you not think he is part of the game plan for other teams to stop?

I guarantee no Wisconsin fan will be boasting about Stave or McEvoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, why was it when I made a Top 10 RB thread, Oregon fans (you were the first to) mentioned Royce Freeman? If you think he's a top 10 running back in the country, then how do you not think he is part of the game plan for other teams to stop?

uhh

1. He's good

2. Because teams plan for Mariota, that is my point lol.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy fucking God, do you not even realize the Heisman is given out before bowls? It's like arguing with a robot. Let's actually compare their stats at Heisman time.

RG3 (12 games): 267-369, 72.3% Comp., 3998 Yards, 10.83 YPA, 36 TDs, 6 INTs., 192.3 QB Rating
Mariota (13): 254-372, 68.3% Comp., 3783 Yards, 10.17 YPA, 38 TDs, 2 INTs., 186.3 QB Rating

RG3: 161 Carries, 644 Yards, 9 TDs
Mariota: 117 Carries, 669 Yards, 14 TDs

If you think Mariota's numbers "put RG3's to shame," you are clueless.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy fucking God, do you not even realize the Heisman is given out before bowls? It's like arguing with a robot. Let's actually compare their stats at Heisman time.

RG3 (12 games): 267-369, 72.3% Comp., 3998 Yards, 10.83 YPA, 36 TDs, 6 INTs., 192.3 QB Rating
Mariota (13): 254-372, 68.3% Comp., 3783 Yards, 10.17 YPA, 38 TDs, 2 INTs., 186.3 QB Rating

RG3: 161 Carries, 644 Yards, 9 TDs
Mariota: 117 Carries, 669 Yards, 14 TDs

If you think Mariota's numbers "put RG3's to shame," you are clueless.

Holy shit are you butt hurt. He still played 13 games in his HEISMAN SEASON. It is the SEASON. They still count as STATS.

52 TD/2 INT ratio

Best QBR ever

You are trying to cherry pick Marcus for playing more games lol. That's what he gets for putting up dominating stats and winning football games.

You are mad because a Heisman for Gordon is all you can hang your hat on, and it is not going to happen.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He averaged 3.9 yards per carry. He also threw more picks. Had less passing TD's and Rushing TD's

Umm he played 13 games. So everything Marcus accumulates up until tonight is better. QBR is still used to judge QBS and it isn't close.

Mariota's passer rating is 190.2. RG3 is 189.5.

Marcus has no o line at all and its not his fault hes getting his team to play more games by winning a Pac title game and going to bowl game.

His stats are better. Pretty easily. 2 INT's all year hahhaahaha.

RGIII was at Baylor, with a terrible defense behind him, and led Baylor to a seemingly overachieving 10-3 record.

Mariota is at Oregon, who has been nationally relevant since the early 2000s. Which means he has had average to above average defenses behind him. He is not forced nearly as much to win games as RGIII was at Baylor.

No I'm not saying RGIII is better, nor I am saying Mariota is not as good. BUt his situation at Oregon is much better than what RGIII had at Baylor.