• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mound visits limited in 2018

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The umpire could just say "no, there's no visit" and stop the manager from coming out. I doubt many managers are gonna be like "fuck you, I'm going anyway"

Mangers yeah but what about a player? How can they possibly stop that. What if a SS wants to run in and tell his pitcher something? Can't see them preventing that. A manager/pitching coach would be different as the ump can definitely stop them before getting to the mound since they're coming from the dugout.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mangers yeah but what about a player? How can they possibly stop that. What if a SS wants to run in and tell his pitcher something? Can't see them preventing that. A manager/pitching coach would be different as the ump can definitely stop them before getting to the mound since they're coming from the dugout.
Yeah I don't know. I also don't know how many position players are just going to break the rule. But you're right, they might if there is no clear punishment.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I don't know. I also don't know how many position players are just going to break the rule. But you're right, they might if there is no clear punishment.
They could force a substitution for the pitcher, and/or eject the offending player(s).

That's a penalty currently on the books for a manager/coach exceeding the number of mound visits allowed.

In a case where a manager has made his first trip to the mound
and then returns the second time to the mound in the same
inning with the same pitcher in the game and the same batter at
bat, after being warned by the umpire that he cannot return to
the mound, the manager shall be removed from the game and
the pitcher required to pitch to the batter until he is retired or
gets on base. After the batter is retired, or becomes a base run-
ner, then this pitcher must be removed from the game. The
manager should be notified that his pitcher will be removed
from the game after he pitches to one hitter, so he can have a
substitute pitcher warmed up.
The substitute pitcher will be allowed eight preparatory pitches
or more if in the umpire’s judgment circumstances justify.

http://mlb.mlb.com/documents/0/4/0/224919040/2017_Official_Baseball_Rules_dbt69t59.pdf

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to a see a rule where it limits you to one pitching change per inning with exceptions made for injuries of course.

If you're a MLB pitcher, you should be able to get hitters out from both sides of the plate.
The point on injuries, though, is if you plan to use that ... then that pitcher had better be on some kind of injured list within a day or so of it happening.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hitters are taking 30 seconds between pitches routinely, even the worst of them.
Ryan Braun is absolutely disgusting in how he delays an at-bat. Odrubel Herrera of the Phils was walking around after every foul ball during his rookie season as if he had some kind of special insight into big league pitching. Seriously these guys standing there with one foot in the on-deck circle reading the label on their bat while the pitcher stands out there rubbing his dinkus. And the damned pitcher won't even ATTEMPT to get a signal till the guy is ready to hit. Then he stands there like a bent over statue ... for real, how does a Loogie come into a game and shake off his catcher 5 times? Getting into a stretch should not take 50 seconds. Some of these guys act like they are in a Broadway dance routine with their stretch, pause, pause pause ..............

THAT'S what slowed the game down. Mound visits are, to me, OK because they are usually in high-pressure situations.

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What @JohnU said.
Though I agree batters are the problem I'm ok with the rule.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could the penalty be the same as when a manager goes to the mound twice in the same inning? Have to take the pitcher out.
I don't even see how the rule could be broken.

If you need to go to the mound for different pitchers, in the same inning, you are kinda screwed anyway.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to a see a rule where it limits you to one pitching change per inning with exceptions made for injuries of course.

If you're a MLB pitcher, you should be able to get hitters out from both sides of the plate.
I dislike that idea very much.

Calm

What say there fuzzy britches, feel like talkin'?
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even see how the rule could be broken.

If you need to go to the mound for different pitchers, in the same inning, you are kinda screwed anyway.

They are trying to cut down on the trips to the mound by the pitching coach and the infield meetings on the mound used to stall for the reliever warming in the pen.

But if the pitcher and catcher need to discuss signs I don't see where there is a penalty defined if the catcher just says F you to the ump and goes out anyway.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are trying to cut down on the trips to the mound by the pitching coach and the infield meetings on the mound used to stall for the reliever warming in the pen.

But if the pitcher and catcher need to discuss signs I don't see where there is a penalty defined if the catcher just says F you to the ump and goes out anyway.
Yeah, any rule that leads to lesser quality of play, is going to be ignored.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time between innings, strictly for TV, is the biggest culprit.
They did say that 8 pitches between innings isn't guaranteed any more, too. Like, they want the first pitch coming in as soon as possible after the break.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id focus on the New York-Penn League then.
i-m-with-stupid-clipart-3.jpg

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did say that 8 pitches between innings isn't guaranteed any more, too. Like, they want the first pitch coming in as soon as possible after the break.
It's not warm up pitches. It's dead time waiting for commercials.

Cut it by thirty seconds, you get 8.5 minutes a game.

Boom, prorem solved.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not warm up pitches. It's dead time waiting for commercials.

Cut it by thirty seconds, you get 8.5 minutes a game.

Boom, prorem solved.
The problem there is that owners see that as less money, and they agree with this dude:

200w.gif

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 minutes is substantial but it probably won't work for the national games where the ad money is a bit richer than for local 7 p.m.'ers. I think the dead time for us watching the games on TV is different than at the ballpark where there is usually something going on either on the field or the scoreboard. Shorter commercials might work if the broadcasters are allowed to pitch products on the air. Some of them can, some can't. Depends on their contract.

That sort of problem has happened in the past, but it is usually with players.

But I will go back to the adjusting of the batting gloves, standing there with a hand in the air with time called, and the pitcher standing out there staring in as if the catcher was sending semaphore signals, then this 13-second pause before the pitch is fouled off, rinse and repeat except on foul balls, the hitter can amble back and get some pine tar ... it's almost as bad as in basketball where the ref under the rim holds up the ball and tells everyone in the stadium that the shooter has "one more" shot, as if the fucker can't count to 2.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3