• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mound visits limited in 2018

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I'd assume the same if they're not following the mound visit rule. Ejection and possibly suspensions/fines.

Since every rule in the book isn't immediately accompanied by a detailed description of the penalty for breaking it, I don't understand why people are expecting one for this rule. Just doesn't make sense to me.
I think that if a rule is promoted, considered, encouraged and implemented, there should be a form of "environmental impact" relating to it. The umpire can have a major effect on a game with a subjective determination of who is in the game and what their limitations are.
That being overstated, if a catcher knows he can make 2 visits to the mound per inning and a third one carries a penalty, what exactly is the appropriate penalty?
Seriously, this rule and any like it are pretty screwy to me, particularly when you have pitchers who don't speak English. Situations change. We are allowed to send half the infield to the left side without asking permission. If that happens, I think the catcher and the pitcher should be allowed to confer about what their strategy is.
There are a dozen ways to address pace of play. If they want to limit mound visits, what exactly do they hope to achieve? Well, that's purportedly to speed up the game. If you throw the pitcher out of the game for violating the rule, the reliever has as much time as he needs to warm up, and I'd guess it's longer than the 8 seconds it takes for the catcher to waddle out, say something and waddle back.
So do we throw the catcher out instead? What if he's the backup who is in there because the starter got hurt? And do we force the offending team to now consider whether the only other guy on the roster who ever caught a game is now in waiting?
Yeah, they need to clarify this because the consequences are pretty wide-ranging.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't Champ.. I am definitely in for Fantasy. Email it to me, my PM doesn't work here because I was mean to Hammer once.

Ha! I got that too, as well as being banned a couple times - once because I explained to him that Padres players don't give the team discounts because they want to play in San Diego (which he suggested), but rather they give discounts because they suck balls and would be minor leaguers for other franchises.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha! I got that too, as well as being banned a couple times - once because I explained to him that Padres players don't give the team discounts because they want to play in San Diego (which he suggested), but rather they give discounts because they suck balls and would be minor leaguers for other franchises.
I member that! Pretty sure he molests collies.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would've banned you both and sold your profiles for beer money.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tenor.gif

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the MLB did in-game advertising, it would eliminate the need to do anything else to speed up the game. They’d rather continue to slowly ruin he game though.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put a Mic in the catchers mask and a receiver ear piece on the pitcher. Problem solved.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put a Mic in the catchers mask and a receiver ear piece on the pitcher. Problem solved.
Only if the hitter goes to the dugout for pine tar so he couldn't listen in. Meanwhile, the Dodgers would figure out a way to cheat with some kind of techno-giz listening device and we'd blame it on the Red Sox.