• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

More NHL to Vegas talk

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On second thought, maybe it is time to move the Panthers - Attendance last night was 8,075

Hockey in Miami was a bad idea regardless of how many ex NY'ers are down there. I'm surprised they lasted this long.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, most of "we" didn't have a problem with him. It was "he":

Bettman+as+Montgomery+Burns.jpg

Please don't sully one of my favorite television characters with that troll.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If not Milwaukee, Quebec City - That Habs - Nordiques rivalry was something else.

Honestly, as much as I want a Wisconsin team today, moving the Panthers franchise to QC at the end of this season would be a perfect move.

• The new arena is slated for completion when the preseason kicks off.
  • The Panthers are already in the appropriate division for QC; much more appropriate than FL. No need for realignment.
  • Quebec lost the Nordiques to Denver right as the team was getting good. It could be sweet justice to its fans to import the Panthers franchise right as that team is building a young quality foundation.
That said, we can fully expect the Panthers to rot in Florida for the next decade because a certain someone vehemently refuses to admit his mistakes and would rather drag everyone else to hell with him than right a wrong.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bettman has great foresight? Check out Jim Ball's net worth these days...

Didnt Jim admit he was buying a team to move it? Except for the Preds where he was pretending he was going to keep them in Nashville. While no worse than some of the owners the league has, he did seem a little sneaky and brash so I could see why the league didn't embrace him.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, as much as I want a Wisconsin team today, moving the Panthers franchise to QC at the end of this season would be a perfect move.

• The new arena is slated for completion when the preseason kicks off.
  • The Panthers are already in the appropriate division for QC; much more appropriate than FL. No need for realignment.
  • Quebec lost the Nordiques to Denver right as the team was getting good. It could be sweet justice to its fans to import the Panthers franchise right as that team is building a young quality foundation.
That said, we can fully expect the Panthers to rot in Florida for the next decade because a certain someone vehemently refuses to admit his mistakes and would rather drag everyone else to hell with him than right a wrong.

The Panthers owner is a New York guy. There's just no impetus for him to move the franchise to Quebec City. I don't know how much money there is to be made there, I don't know what the arena lease/ownership situation would be like, I don't know how the Habs would react to having their local ratings slashed...there's a lot that goes into this and I just don't think a Wall Street guy who owns a team in South Florida is the guy to bring hockey back to Quebec City.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Panthers owner is a New York guy. There's just no impetus for him to move the franchise to Quebec City. I don't know how much money there is to be made there, I don't know what the arena lease/ownership situation would be like, I don't know how the Habs would react to having their local ratings slashed...there's a lot that goes into this and I just don't think a Wall Street guy who owns a team in South Florida is the guy to bring hockey back to Quebec City.

yah i would also think that the NHL would save QC for expansion because thats a market with potential owners with actual financing that actually wants hockey at this stage and has said so publically

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah i would also think that the NHL would save QC for expansion because thats a market with potential owners with actual financing that actually wants hockey at this stage and has said so publically

Yeah, Rock Machine has been wanting to get into the NHL business.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. Unless they buy the Panthers from Cousin Vinny and pay a relocation fee (a la Winnipeg), the league is much better served selling an expansion team to Peladeau or Telus or Cogeco or whoever the fuck wants to run a team there.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some say the HA already own the Canucks

/poonerman told me this

:bolt:

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Unless they buy the Panthers from Cousin Vinny and pay a relocation fee (a la Winnipeg), the league is much better served selling an expansion team to Peladeau or Telus or Cogeco or whoever the fuck wants to run a team there.

I guess I should've made it more clear that I was defining "perfect" as "most appropriate", not "most realistic".

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bettman has great foresight? Check out Jim Ball's net worth these days...

The league could have had the dollars before they evaporated. And he might have stayed afloat with NHL revenue.

Didnt Jim admit he was buying a team to move it? Except for the Preds where he was pretending he was going to keep them in Nashville. While no worse than some of the owners the league has, he did seem a little sneaky and brash so I could see why the league didn't embrace him.

The two teams he was most interested in were Phoenix and Atlanta. Hindsight being 20/20, one moved and the other should have.

His downfall was the fact he wouldn't shut up, and the league sure did not like dissenting opinion. But he is/was a respected businessman who would have been loads better than "Mr Real Housewives of Beverly Hills". And he would have put a team in a hockey market.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy B was pretty close to buying the Penguins before Mario and company stepped up to the plate.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league could have had the dollars before they evaporated. And he might have stayed afloat with NHL revenue.

The two teams he was most interested in were Phoenix and Atlanta. Hindsight being 20/20, one moved and the other should have.

His downfall was the fact he wouldn't shut up, and the league sure did not like dissenting opinion. But he is/was a respected businessman who would have been loads better than "Mr Real Housewives of Beverly Hills". And he would have put a team in a hockey market.

Jimmy B was pretty close to buying the Penguins before Mario and company stepped up to the plate.

I remember the Penguins interest and the agreement in principal to buy the Predators. I forgot about the Coyotes bid. The league didn't want those teams to move, honestly the only one I feel should have is the Coyotes, and it was obvious he wanted to move a franchise so they didn't approve him.

It is an owners club and if you cannot play nice during the ownership approval process then you are probably not going to own a team.

I don't know who the housewives guy is.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say this much, Hamilton sure could've used a renovated Copps, and it would've been nice to have another venue around that didn't involve $20 drinks (although I will not apologize ever for the $15 prime rib sandwiches at the ACC - I want to buried with one of those).

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the biggest black mark against him was he didnt have a catchy nickname like "Boots" er sometink like dat

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really not a fan of expansion. I know the league is doing pretty well financially, but it's a big risk to take on, and I really just don't like the idea of expansion drafts, etc. Just move the financially crippling teams and be done with it. The Coyotes never should've stayed, and Florida has been given too much of a chance as well. I know there are circumstances around both (location sucks, etc) but you CAN'T operate a team that gets 10K to a game.