• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Monday morning MVP voting

Who's leading the MVP race after this weekend?

• Cam Newton

Votes: 36 66.7%
  • Carson Palmer

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Tom Brady

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • JJ Watt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andy Dalton

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Russell Wilson

Votes: 4 7.4%

• Total voters

Blaise Winter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I made the poll I threw RW in there just because I knew it would make some people's heads explode. He's playing great ball lately but he doesn't have a sniff at getting any votes for MVP. I love that he's actually tied with Brady in this poll though. LOL.

I knew there had to be a reason why he's an option! Made no sense, otherwise. Has zero show. The kicker is 2 blind 'hawks fans voted for the joke option, because of course they did.

It's Cam, and I don't believe it's even close as of right now. Throw stats out the window. Watch the team. Strong defense, sure, a little luck late in games, maybe. But you can't deny he's grown up on the field and has been a winner all season.

Up until recently, I thought it was Brady, but I don't think the team is trending in the right direction for that, and I'm not sure if he's going to have much to throw to from here on out.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Favre very rarely ever set his feet properly. He almost always threw off his back foot just like Newton.
Most NFL QBs can hit a tight window from 20 yds with their feet set...Yeah, him, Rodgers, Elway...very few arms could do it w/o their feet set...Cam can at times, but not as consistent was my point.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most NFL QBs can hit a tight window from 20 yds with their feet set...Yeah, him, Rodgers, Elway...very few arms could do it w/o their feet set...Cam can at times, but not as consistent was my point.

Gotcha. My point was that Favre certainly wasn't very consistent. It's why his career QB rating was 86. He would look horrible one play and then brilliant the next. Favre is the QB that Cam reminds me of the most.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotcha. My point was that Favre certainly wasn't very consistent. It's why his career QB rating was 86. He would look horrible one play and then brilliant the next. Favre is the QB that Cam reminds me of the most.

If the media pundits like you and you play that way you are a "gunslinger", if they don't like you then you become "reckless" and someone who doesn't take care of the ball.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True too, lot of picks...Farve had good wheels too early on...not the threat of Cam running though.

Different styles of play...Randall played out of pro set and ran mostly on broken plays. Long delivery, but a big time arm too, great deep all...Randall Cunningham might be the closest for me....people remember him in PHI, but his best QBing days were in MIN with that high powered OFC...Moss & Carter.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the media pundits like you and you play that way you are a "gunslinger", if they don't like you then you become "reckless" and someone who doesn't take care of the ball.

Very good point. Favre the "gunslinger" averaged close to 18 interceptions per year.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is there no "other" option? We have to pick what OP puts up? Not participating.

Blaise Winter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ The MVP winner is in that list, you don't need more names

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam Newton lol. Really? The only reason that team is undefeated is the #1 turnover margin and lights out D that has generated over 30 takeaways this season. Going to be laughing hard when that team loses their first playoff game.

Since the bye week, Cam has amassed the following stats:

151 completions on 252 attempts (60%) for 1,988 yards, 20 touchdowns and 8 interceptions for an average of 93.41 QB rating; rushed for 281 yards and 5 touchdowns with 2 fumbles (1 lost). But yeah, the defense has won shootouts with New Orleans and Green Bay, all the while helping to torch the Redskins. :rolleyes:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

151 completions on 252 attempts (60%) for 1,988 yards, 20 touchdowns and 8 interceptions for an average of 93.41 QB rating; rushed for 281 yards and 5 touchdowns with 2 fumbles (1 lost). But yeah, the defense has won shootouts with New Orleans and Green Bay, all the while helping to torch the Redskins. :rolleyes:

You used the word amassed. lol.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Those are good numbers but not eye popping.

seafandoghawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My vote goes to Carson Palmer. I haven't really seen Brady play this year, so I could very well be missing that boat. But Palmer has been consistently good/great this year, elevating the Cardinals from a playoff contender to a Super Bowl contender.

I do think that overall production stats and efficiency stats say something very meaningful about how a QB (or any player) has performed during a given season. And in that sense, Palmer's stats blow Cam's out of the water, which is why I selected Palmer over Newton in the poll (although Brady, by all appearances, contends with Palmer.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam is MVP as of now. But as a Seahawk fan, Palmer worries me more in the postseason, much more.

seafandoghawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam is MVP as of now. But as a Seahawk fan, Palmer worries me more in the postseason, much more.
Me too. I respect the the talents of Newton and the threat that he poses-- he's grown into a pocket passer, with extraordinary natural abilities, that the game has slowed down for. He's become a QB that tilts the field in his direction from what he brings to the game.

But the Seahawks defense matches up well with the running threat that Cam poses; and Palmer is a more consistent and accurate passer than Newton. Cam misses on big plays more than Palmer does-- and Palmer is more advanced than Cam in pre- and post-snap reads too.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are good numbers but not eye popping.

For Cam they are; anybody else remember watching his first 3-4 seasons throwing the ball? :L

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too. I respect the the talents of Newton and the threat that he poses-- he's grown into a pocket passer, with extraordinary natural abilities, that the game has slowed down for. He's become a QB that tilts the field in his direction from what he brings to the game.

But the Seahawks defense matches up well with the running threat that Cam poses; and Palmer is a more consistent and accurate passer than Newton. Cam misses on big plays more than Palmer does-- and Palmer is more advanced than Cam in pre- and post-snap reads too.

It also really hurts to have WR by committee, especially when that committee is full of 3rd/4th type receivers

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
You also have to worry much more about Arizona's receivers

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You also have to worry much more about Arizona's receivers
You know, I voted for Carson, but now that I think about it...what is the MVP, really? Most Valuable Player. Lets think about this analytically. Arizona showed last year they can win a decent number of games without Palmer. NE's system has thrived before after Brady was injured. Does ANYONE think Carolina would stand a chance if Cam went down? Thus, in essence, he's more valuable to his team than the others on the list because what he brings makes his team a contender. Is that not what the MVP award is truly about?

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
You know, I voted for Carson, but now that I think about it...what is the MVP, really? Most Valuable Player. Lets think about this analytically. Arizona showed last year they can win a decent number of games without Palmer. NE's system has thrived before after Brady was injured. Does ANYONE think Carolina would stand a chance if Cam went down? Thus, in essence, he's more valuable to his team than the others on the list because what he brings makes his team a contender. Is that not what the MVP award is truly about?
You bring up a great point. It somehow has to be determined who is the league's Most Valuable Player. I do not think you can wrap the criteria up in a neat little package. I would think you have to consider the following plus things that I am not thinking of:
*Their value to the teams success
*Stats
*Strength of Schedule
*Their influence in the outcome of games
*Their surrounding cast of players in all 3 phases
*Their Coaches
*Luck - good and bad
*What is required to game plan for them
*How often they have been the primary factor in wins or losses
*Do they pass the eye test
*Their team's record
etc.etc.etc.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You bring up a great point. It somehow has to be determined who is the league's Most Valuable Player. I do not think you can wrap the criteria up in a neat little package. I would think you have to consider the following plus things that I am not thinking of:
*Their value to the teams success
*Stats
*Strength of Schedule
*Their influence in the outcome of games
*Their surrounding cast of players in all 3 phases
*Their Coaches
*Luck - good and bad
*What is required to game plan for them
*How often they have been the primary factor in wins or losses
*Do they pass the eye test
*Their team's record
etc.etc.etc.
That's pretty much how I would order the criteria as well. Now I think Cam has benefited a bit from playing a relatively weak schedule. Still, without him I think they have 3-4 losses easy this year.