• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Moncada Signs With Red Sox

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GOOOD LORD thats a lot of money....... Not sure how you can compare that to a vet depth signing for 2million......

It's only a matter of time that one of these Cuban prospects busts out.... had the Mariners spent that im SURE it would of been him.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really wanted Moncada. For a little over $30mil I think it was worth at least trying. I accepted the fact that Seattle wasn't going to sign him a long time ago. Seattle doesn't shell out that kind of money on prospects though. It sounds like he will be a very good player in the near future.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya I can see how spending $63M on a 19 year old who plays in his countries professional league and thrives would be crazy, but paying a guy $250M in his late 30's and into his early 40's is a no-brainer...lol.

As far as Weeks go, you usually get what you pay for. And he has the chance to make up to $4M for what it is worth.

So back to Moncada, is he any riskier than Cruz at his age and PED's history? Who has the higher ceiling over the life of their respective contracts? What if Marlins signed Stanton a few years back for that? Would they be crying today? Or Trout? Every signing is a gamble and if you choose not to play the game then you wind up with a lot of safe picks and if you need to see how that turns out just look at the Mariners draft picks.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really wanted Moncada. For a little over $30mil I think it was worth at least trying. I accepted the fact that Seattle wasn't going to sign him a long time ago. Seattle doesn't shell out that kind of money on prospects though. It sounds like he will be a very good player in the near future.

That's true and I'm not saying the Mariners should've done that signing but they need to do something since they can't develop a nucleus of position players. The team has shown they won't try to field a team through free agency, hasn't done it through the farm system so they are stuck in limbo until one of those finally happens.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true and I'm not saying the Mariners should've done that signing but they need to do something since they can't develop a nucleus of position players. The team has shown they won't try to field a team through free agency, hasn't done it through the farm system so they are stuck in limbo until one of those finally happens.

"stuck in limbo" One of the odds on favorites to win the american league? I like me some limbo.

Listen, i get what your saying, everything you said is true. But this year we have real expectations, the baseball world thinks were the team to beat. Hell Vegas has us as 12-1 to win the whole damn thing.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Sox signed Moncada for $31.5M and had to pay the same to the league for going over the league maximum for foreign players. He can play 1B, 2B, SS, 3B and the OF. He's projected to hit 22-30 HR and steal 30 bases. The Red Sox bring in over $1B a year in revenues. $65M is nothing.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"stuck in limbo" One of the odds on favorites to win the american league? I like me some limbo.

Bookies will have the odds for the majority of teams in a constant state of flux for the first month and a half of the regular season. Only dilettantes put stock into anything before that.

Jack Z isn't Billy Beane, and anybody who puts blind faith into the hodgepodge of possible platoon pieces he acquired to pretend to be a complete MLB outfield is extremely naive. If it works out, then GREAT. It's still a tremendous joke out there until they prove it otherwise in the regular season.

The only thing we acquired to boost the lineup with any degree of certainty is Cruz. It was an excellent pickup, don't get me wrong, but 2/3 of the lineup is still a giant unknown. If Ackley and our 1B/SS (whoever they actually end up being, which isn't clear) end up hitting their stride all at the same time, then GREAT. I think it really could happen, but there are question marks everywhere.

I'm good with the pitching situation for the most part. It's our biggest strength yet again. If they match or improve on their historic performance last year, then GREAT. If not, the offense with question marks all over the place is going to have to do something tremendous compared to last year.

In short, we know we have potentially great pitching. We have no fucking clue if we have a good offense. We have no fucking clue if we have a competent outfield. We may or may not have 1B and and SS under control. We won't know for another couple of months.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Sox signed Moncada for $31.5M and had to pay the same to the league for going over the league maximum for foreign players. He can play 1B, 2B, SS, 3B and the OF. He's projected to hit 22-30 HR and steal 30 bases. The Red Sox bring in over $1B a year in revenues. $65M is nothing.
Yep. Little risk, high reward for a big market team.

Despite our $2 billion media deal, we'll never get up with the big boys in payroll, unfortunately. Nintendo.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Listen, i get what your saying, everything you said is true. But this year we have real expectations, the baseball world thinks were the team to beat. Hell Vegas has us as 12-1 to win the whole damn thing.

They are stuck in limbo because they are going to be back in the same situation next offseason with needing at least one and possibly two outfielders through free agency. Maybe I'm being pessimistic but I remember the last time the national media was talking about the Mariners making some noise in the post season and they went out and lost 100 games.