• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dumpster Diving With Jer Jer: Your guide to our Cold Stove Season

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what to bet, but the Mariners getting Bellinger would be the most shocking thing I’ve ever seen from the Mariners. It would be shocking in a good way but (I know you don’t like the term overpay) but in order to sign Bellinger the Mariners will have to massively overpay the market.

I know I wrote it on the other thread but it really irks me that the Mariners are even linked to Bellinger and Martinez when they had zero interest last offseason when they desperately could’ve used them and would’ve been cheaper. IMO Martinez’ value went up but also a year older on a dude who can’t play in the field.
Belanger..is fixed know..when with dodgers..
22degree.launch .angle..
Cubs..and before my with dodgers..
When hitting well..17 degree..launch angle

Othani..would be good .as well..risp 20.

Either.one..for..L/,L..dh..
Bellinger..is a bit more..athletic..
Othani.is a pitcher

Kelenic..
Canzone..
Marlowe..
Round.out left.handers..
Mariners..need..a right hand re-place for..
Hernandez..dh.type.or rf.

My guy no one mentions..
1b.santana...
Yeah..
Mariners need that..#3..300.hitter..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That seems to be changing a little bit, at least as far as second base goes. Knowing Dipoto, he'll probably want to stick with the Rojas/Cabellero combo at second. (it's not a bad platoon. Caellero hits lefties well (.265 BA/.395 OBP) and Rojas is decent against righties. I wouldn't mind if they stuck with that platoon as long as they splurged on an all-star caliber corner outfielder. But, the only ones available (Soto, Bellinger) aren't coming here.

So, some second basemen who seem to be available:
Brandon Drury - back-to-back solid seasons of 20+ homers/80+ RBI. $8.5 million next year then an FA after that.
Brendon Donovan - above-average defense. Above-average OPS. Controllable for four more years. Lots of teams interested in him. Cheap.
Jorge Polanco - Gpood OBP, some power. Above average OPS. Injury prone. $11.25 million unless his option is picked up.
Jonathon India - Great rookie season followed by two underwhelming injury-riddled seasons. Three more years of team control. Jerry likes to trade with Cincy. I can see India landing here.
Willy Adames - three outcome guy. Below average OPS. Strikes out a ton. But hits homers and racks up ribbies. $8.7 million and then an FA next winter.
Ha-Seong Kim - not sure why he might be available. He shouldn't Surprising 5.8 WAR last year.$8 million in 2024. Controllable for three more years.
Gleybar Torres - Free agent after 2024. Should be highly motivated to get a big payday next winter. He hits for power, scores a lot of runs. With only one year of team control, he is not a Dipoto guy.
Of list.i think.indea..and.moore.
And prospects would prob do..

Windash..already .hitting.20 hrs..
Just about.right..he should be at AA.
Donavan.8s interesting..
But Seattle has no pitching to give.

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What seattle has is quality.pitching..
Enough of it...
No..no..that..is not the case...
And with.othani.the pitcher.out..
If.they got him..it would not help .
That..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not worrie much about indea..
With bliss and caballero..
Right behind.theyvwill all prob play
At some point
.if..you have depth ..you use .it..it just happens..

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners acquiring Luis Arias from the Red Sox. Classic Dipoto move.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He loves him some platoon players. I get Moneyball people are delusional with how to put together a roster, but even Bill James would look at Jerry and give an eye roll

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLBTR did their annual prediction for the landing spot and contract value of the top 50 free agents. The Mariners were linked to three guys who I rank somewhere between meh and moderately interesting. But none of the three are game changers:
JD Martinez - injury prone and getting long in the tooth (turns 37 next season). Wouldn't hit as well for the Mariners as he did for the Dodgers
Lourdes Gurriel - not much change from Teo
Tim Anderson - Could be an interesting reclamation product if he is not psychologically damaged goods (i.e.: lost confidence or lost motivation)
I like the idea of Tim Anderson AND Martinez... Martinez as a DH... Anderson has the talent so i'd take a shot on him...

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea of Tim Anderson AND Martinez... Martinez as a DH... Anderson has the talent so i'd take a shot on him...
Definitely a lot of posters, including me, on board with you about TA, depending on what it will cost us.
As for JDM - I'm not as sold. I seriously doubt that the power he showed with the Dodgers last season will translate to what he may give us next season. He'll be 37 years old. Can we duplicate the offensive renaissance that the Dodgers inspired him to last year? To be honest, I highly doubt it.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there was a sports version of The Onion the deadline would be:

"Mariners shock the world and trade for replacement level utility player who hit less than his weight last year"

Ugh.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the idea of Tim Anderson as a bounce back candidate, but it seems Dipoto would prefer some sort of rotation among the AAAA players we currently have on the roster.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely a lot of posters, including me, on board with you about TA, depending on what it will cost us.
As for JDM - I'm not as sold. I seriously doubt that the power he showed with the Dodgers last season will translate to what he may give us next season. He'll be 37 years old. Can we duplicate the offensive renaissance that the Dodgers inspired him to last year? To be honest, I highly doubt it.
I'd rather they actually made a run at an actual DH and see him fail than keep going after all these reclamation projects.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the idea of Tim Anderson as a bounce back candidate, but it seems Dipoto would prefer some sort of rotation among the AAAA players we currently have on the roster.
I mainly want him because he is the definition of the utility player that I want. He can play plus SS/2B and he is athletic enough to just put in an OF spot. Haggerty nor Moore are above average OF’s and Anderson’s offensive ceiling is a hell of a lot higher.

Plus I like Chuck Powell and he was all but begging Jerry to trade for him last year when Wong was cosplaying a major league player.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather they actually made a run at an actual DH and see him fail than keep going after all these reclamation projects.
Well, there is something to be said for that too. Still not sold on JDM as a 37-year-ld playing half his games in the T-Mobile pitcher's park. But I wouldn't be opposed to them trading for someone younger like (Josh Bell, Eloy Jimenez, Joey Meneses) all who should be available fairly cheap.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, there is something to be said for that too. Still not sold on JDM as a 37-year-ld playing half his games in the T-Mobile pitcher's park. But I wouldn't be opposed to them trading for someone younger like (Josh Bell, Eloy Jimenez, Joey Meneses) all who should be available fairly cheap.
I think you can cross Bell off the list. Bell seems to be on the same list for Jerry as Brandon Drury. Has had multiple chances to get him for a bag of balls but has passed.