• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mock Draft Fell Nicely

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Honestly - I think Mayer just doesn't fit what the Bengals want in a TE - the league is moving more and more towards Kincaid, Musgrave, and Kraft...guys who are not quite as athletic tend to turn into more of the Samples of the world...blockers because they can't run away from NFL LB's as the LB position continues to get longer and faster as well.

That's not to say that any of those guys can't be top tier TE's, but I think for when the Bengals were picking, and what was there, and looking at this offense in terms of fit...there just wasn't something there. Rather than force a square peg into a round hole, they stuck with their board and got great value picks all over...

Mayer ran a 4.7, broke every ND receiving record for TEs, and lined up all over the formation including X receiver.

To be fair the general criticism I heard of him from draft guru types is that he might lack the twitch and explosiveness to separate in the NFL but the people who liked him put his skills in the Jason Witten mold where he can win with savvy and route running.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayer ran a 4.7, broke every ND receiving record for TEs, and lined up all over the formation including X receiver.

To be fair the general criticism I heard of him from draft guru types is that he might lack the twitch and explosiveness to separate in the NFL but the people who liked him put his skills in the Jason Witten mold where he can win with savvy and route running.
Fair, and to that point, I don't think that's what the Bengals are looking for with this offense.

I'm sure they had Mayer rated well, but when Murphey fell, that likely pushed that to the top.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
defensive coach probably screaming for Murphy. it just wasn't meant to be. A lot of what the Bengals do on offense has to do with their scheme and strategy.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair, and to that point, I don't think that's what the Bengals are looking for with this offense.

I'm sure they had Mayer rated well, but when Murphey fell, that likely pushed that to the top.
I read somewhere that Taylor indicated that the Bengals would have been in on Kincaid in round 1..... And that they also liked LaPorta. I'm okay with the strategy of the last two years - Sign a bargain guy that wants to jumpstart his carer and have a few other guys that add to the blocking scheme. If you have the receivers that we have, a tight end would be a luxury type of weapon, but there are other priority areas to build.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read somewhere that Taylor indicated that the Bengals would have been in on Kincaid in round 1..... And that they also liked LaPorta. I'm okay with the strategy of the last two years - Sign a bargain guy that wants to jumpstart his carer and have a few other guys that add to the blocking scheme. If you have the receivers that we have, a tight end would be a luxury type of weapon, but there are other priority areas to build.
And in the light of that, if Irv Smith Jr. pans out and with his athletic ability, we already could have a hell of a tight end. Our offense really can be legit if that line blocks well.

Burrow
Mixon
Brown
Chase
Higgins
Boyd
Jones
Smith

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And in the light of that, if Irv Smith Jr. pans out and with his athletic ability, we already could have a hell of a tight end. Our offense really can be legit if that line blocks well.

Burrow
Mixon
Brown
Chase
Higgins
Boyd
Jones
Smith
I agree. But, if he does have a big year, everyone will have to accept it when he leaves for the bag next offseason. The guy is still really young with a great pedigree. He'll cash in big-time with a productive, healthy season. And, we'll be back on the market for the next rehab project. To be honest, I'm totally fine with this strategy. You have to have bargains at some positions and tight end might just be where we do it.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. But, if he does have a big year, everyone will have to accept it when he leaves for the bag next offseason. The guy is still really young with a great pedigree. He'll cash in big-time with a productive, healthy season. And, we'll be back on the market for the next rehab project. To be honest, I'm totally fine with this strategy. You have to have bargains at some positions and tight end might just be where we do it.
at some point, you'd think we'd trade for one that would be a long term fit, or trade picks with someone if needed.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at some point, you'd think we'd trade for one that would be a long term fit, or trade picks with someone if needed.
A good long term fit at this point is not feasible though, because we have to get the stars on new contracts. They come first, because they form the core, the leadership and the excitement for the fans. Once they are locked in, I can see us trying to find a long term solution at TE. Cheap as she goes right now though until Burrow, Higgins, Chase and Wilson are locked up.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good long term fit at this point is not feasible though, because we have to get the stars on new contracts. They come first, because they form the core, the leadership and the excitement for the fans. Once they are locked in, I can see us trying to find a long term solution at TE. Cheap as she goes right now though until Burrow, Higgins, Chase and Wilson are locked up.
If one falls to you at the draft, then that works, but signing a cheap guy on a 1 year flip deal, while continuing to be patient for the right fit in the draft is a solid strategy. As you pointed out, with Higgins, Boyd, Chase - and the RB's (more passes were caught last year by RB's than TE) - the TE is a bit of a luxury at this point.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If one falls to you at the draft, then that works, but signing a cheap guy on a 1 year flip deal, while continuing to be patient for the right fit in the draft is a solid strategy. As you pointed out, with Higgins, Boyd, Chase - and the RB's (more passes were caught last year by RB's than TE) - the TE is a bit of a luxury at this point.
I think when Kuntz fell to the 6th, we should have taken him. The fact we didn't wind up with a 6'7 255 pound TE that runs a 4.61 - 40 is just stupid. At that point you are drafting athletic ability and hoping you hit a gem by being able to train them into being a fundamentally sound player.

Save the punter for 7th round, and if you don't get him, oh well. You can always stick with Chrisman if you have to, you can try out 5 different punters, you can do a lot. However, I know place kick holding and hang time was the biggest draw of this guy.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think when Kuntz fell to the 6th, we should have taken him. The fact we didn't wind up with a 6'7 255 pound TE that runs a 4.61 - 40 is just stupid. At that point you are drafting athletic ability and hoping you hit a gem by being able to train them into being a fundamentally sound player.

Save the punter for 7th round, and if you don't get him, oh well. You can always stick with Chrisman if you have to, you can try out 5 different punters, you can do a lot. However, I know place kick holding and hang time was the biggest draw of this guy.
Hard to disagree on that...

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know about Kuntz.... I've read all about his freakish talent, but for a guy to test like that and be passed over by all of these teams, there has to be something that isn't translating to the field. It's always good to bet on athletic talent, but I see him as much less a sure thing than the punter we drafted and we desperately need.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about Kuntz.... I've read all about his freakish talent, but for a guy to test like that and be passed over by all of these teams, there has to be something that isn't translating to the field. It's always good to bet on athletic talent, but I see him as much less a sure thing than the punter we drafted and we desperately need.
Yeah, he fell for a reason. He has a lot of measurables, but his tape is very "meh". His combine notes his lack of pass-catching ability, his inability to make contested catches, as well his struggles in release against tight coverage and at the top of his route. He lacks mass and strength, but has the frame to put on weight and strength. That would take some time, though.

More to the point - taking the punter you know he's competing for a job this year. Kuntz would likely end up on the practice squad, or buried on the depth chart until he can develop.

Comp that to the WR they took - and you see a lot more upside in that WR than you do in Kuntz. I think he gets a bit more focus here because of the thought that the Bengals were going to heavily target a TE in this draft - which did not happen. That tells you 2 things: 1 - The Bengals did not feel a TE was of value when they were picking and instead of reaching - they stayed true to their board. 2 - They feel TE is in a good place with Smith - and can still have Sample/Wilcox (would need to be re-signed) if they needed more depth/backup. They also are still high on Assai, and as a developmental TE - do you need another developmental guy at the same spot? Probably not.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I was never saying he was a sure thing. I was saying he is an athletic freak, scored a 10 out of 10 on the RAS. That late in the draft, you have needs, you take a flyer and hope you are able to get him into a fundamentally sound football player. My guess is he was not a fantastic blocker, he probably had bad routes, may have had some sketchy hands, no idea. Athletically he was there.

Yes, I think the punter was important, but the punter could have fallen to the 7th round, maybe even gone undrafted. There is nothing extraordinarily special about the punter. He has good hang time, but not the strongest leg, etc. I just see Kuntz was a better swing for the fences kind of guy. We don't even know if Robbins will beat out Chrisman, just like Elliott didn't beat out Bullock. Robbins is a Bengal so I will root for him, and I hope he is the punter the next 12 years, but when you are in the 6th and you still have a 7th rounder left...swing for that talent.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith is ok, he's not great. he's not going to tear it up.

next year, we need to get our guy. someone who will fit in this lineup for the foreseeable future.

1683560644480.png

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith is ok, he's not great. he's not going to tear it up.

next year, we need to get our guy. someone who will fit in this lineup for the foreseeable future.

View attachment 328110
Smith was also injured and was their backup, IIRC.

I'd agree the stats don't "wow" you but he's got some talent, and with a starting role, has a chance to showcase his ability. Big key for him will be his health, as he's battled some injuries.

He was doing pretty well in those first 2 years after getting drafted in the 2nd round. 2021 and 2022 both ended with injuries, so right when it was likely to be "his time", he never got a shot to get off the ground.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the RAS scores come up, I always think of Taylor Mays. That guy was built in every way to safety - An athletic freak. He was a decent role player for us at times, but he never really developed into what he could have given his measurables.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the RAS scores come up, I always think of Taylor Mays. That guy was built in every way to safety - An athletic freak. He was a decent role player for us at times, but he never really developed into what he could have given his measurables.
I fully agree with you. The difference is Mays was a 2nd round pick, Kuntz was available in the 6th round. Just saying, while I fully agree with you, there is a difference on a lottery pick versus a guy you are taking a chance on in the first couple rounds.

But yes, I agree with you.

You can say Richardson the guy the Colts took with the 4th overall pick. He is a guy with all the great athletic ability, but was lacking experience and some of the intangibles that other guy possess like Bryce Young.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And just like that, Araiza is innocent as proof has been found that Araiza was not at the house during the time of the gang r*pe. He was telling the truth and the accuser was lying. Shouldn't there be punishment for women that lie and accuse a man of such a terrible crime that causes damage to his character and career? Kuntz in the 6th, Araiza in free agency. It would have been a better scenario talent wise.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he might not even be our best tight end statistically speaking this year.

he had a good year with alabama in 2018
he's been 'ok' since then.

my guess is that the Bengals really just look at tight ends as blockers, since we already have so many weapons in the receiving game.