• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mock Draft Fell Nicely

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is my latest... I really like this one.

View attachment 325640
Not bad overall - only quibble would be doubling up at Safety. Now that they've signed their guy, drafted Hill last year, and were also high on last year's Tycen Anderson, they've got 3 guys under contract for the next few years...not sure they are going to look at Safety unless someone really falls to them, let along double up.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course since you can't do so much on the pff mock now, I did my little three round. I would love it if this one fell to us.

pff_mock_results(10).png

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many different ways we can go. Nice thing is, we don't have any major needs anymore, so we could go any direction and it wouldn't be disappointing because it is best available to our coaching staffs wants.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Mayer would slay the competition, I mean, that would be a real killer pick. I could just die.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's me, and maybe i'll be 100% wrong, but I am just not sold on Mayer.

I think you get better long-term ability from either the RT from Tenn or OSU and can still get very, very similar production out of another TE in the next few rounds of the draft.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you get better long-term ability from either the RT from Tenn or OSU and can still get very, very similar production out of another TE in the next few rounds of the draft.
I am not saying you are wrong. In my mock draft Johnson, Wright, Skoronski, B. Jones and D. Jones were gone. Only 1 TE had been taken, so I thought #2 TE is was more valuable than #6 Tackle.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

To me Mayer checks every box. Ideal size, speed, production, program pedigree at his position. I'd be shocked if he's not a quality starter at the very least. It's hard to imagine a top tackle falling to 28. It's a premium position.

I do agree that there's an argument for passing on TE in the 1st rd because of the depth there in this draft but I probably take Mayer or Kincaid if either is left on the board at 28.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me Mayer checks every box. Ideal size, speed, production, program pedigree at his position. I'd be shocked if he's not a quality starter at the very least. It's hard to imagine a top tackle falling to 28. It's a premium position.

I do agree that there's an argument for passing on TE in the 1st rd because of the depth there in this draft but I probably take Mayer or Kincaid if either is left on the board at 28.
Yep - it really does, at least to me, come down to who else is available and what is the drop off from each position.

I got to see some of Mayer and A lot of Whyle at UC - and honestly - there isn't a ton of difference to me...I think both have a shot to be really solid pro's at the next level. One is a boarder line 1st rounder, and the other is a likely 4th rounder...but, to me in my untrained eye - there didn't seem to be a huge difference. Both have good size, speed, hands, and can block a bit (actually, I think Whyle may be better here than Mayer while Whyle may not be the overall passing threat Mayer is)...

So, again - just comes down to what else is around 28, and what are the differences at each position...

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yep - it really does, at least to me, come down to who else is available and what is the drop off from each position.

I got to see some of Mayer and A lot of Whyle at UC - and honestly - there isn't a ton of difference to me...I think both have a shot to be really solid pro's at the next level. One is a boarder line 1st rounder, and the other is a likely 4th rounder...but, to me in my untrained eye - there didn't seem to be a huge difference. Both have good size, speed, hands, and can block a bit (actually, I think Whyle may be better here than Mayer while Whyle may not be the overall passing threat Mayer is)...

So, again - just comes down to what else is around 28, and what are the differences at each position..

If they go another direction in rd 1 I'm down for taking Whyle or Kraft in the mid rds. There should be solid prospects through the first 120 or so of the draft.

I don't view Collegiate production as the be all end all on draft prospects but when it's as off the charts as Mayer over multiple seasons it's important. The guy knows how to get open and catch the ball against top level competition.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at least we have a fairly good TE we picked up in FA, so we don't necessarily have to reach for one.
it just seems like a long time since we had a "healthy Tyler Eifert"

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm back and forth on the tight end position.... On the one hand, it seems like there are a lot of good ones in the draft and there are also guys that will come here on a one-year deal with the hopes of cashing in the next year somewhere else. I figure, we could probably due that for years.

On the other hand, a high-end tight end might take this offense to another level. I remember reading before Burrow got here that he would patiently kill teams with his accuracy in the middle of the field and that he would be the type of QB that could really punish teams with the tight end. But, he's basically played with spare parts (CJ and Hurst) up until now.... He made those guys look better than they have been at other parts of their career.

So, I guess my question is whether an above-average starter at tight end would take this offense to another level. I don't know if I have a good guess at that answer.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blocking TE and backup role secured for another year...Bengals are heavily trending towards being able to just take BPA at nearly every selection...

FtsqPGJX0AI727o

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm back and forth on the tight end position.... On the one hand, it seems like there are a lot of good ones in the draft and there are also guys that will come here on a one-year deal with the hopes of cashing in the next year somewhere else. I figure, we could probably due that for years.

On the other hand, a high-end tight end might take this offense to another level. I remember reading before Burrow got here that he would patiently kill teams with his accuracy in the middle of the field and that he would be the type of QB that could really punish teams with the tight end. But, he's basically played with spare parts (CJ and Hurst) up until now.... He made those guys look better than they have been at other parts of their career.

So, I guess my question is whether an above-average starter at tight end would take this offense to another level. I don't know if I have a good guess at that answer.
I think there's lots of ways to skin a cat....

Meaning - the OL upgrades, let's say they take a top RT and he's as good as we hope...OL takes this offense to another level with Burrow getting more time to operate and whoever at RB getting way more room to run.

Upgrade at RB (think Bijan) - Mixon faced the least amount of heavy boxes last year...need a guy that can take advantage of that...some of that is OL driven, but a young, fresh RB could certainly add a dimension that was sorely lacking last year even with just the current upgrades along the OL

WR - imagine taking Hyatt or another guy at WR - Boyd, Higgins, Chase, Hyatt (or insert here): Would you even need to worry about TE? Most sets should just be 4-wide and gun 'em, along with the clearly pass first TE they signed a few weeks ago...

TE - Land a true TE threat that takes to top off the field and/or just abuses the middle and this offense opens up so much more for Chase and Higgins on the outside....

So - What I guess I mean is - this offense is already on the cusps of being on another level...but there are lots of ways that could help get them there....they have enough pieces to add at any one of those positions - and if they hit - the offense takes a big step forward.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there's lots of ways to skin a cat....

Meaning - the OL upgrades, let's say they take a top RT and he's as good as we hope...OL takes this offense to another level with Burrow getting more time to operate and whoever at RB getting way more room to run.

Upgrade at RB (think Bijan) - Mixon faced the least amount of heavy boxes last year...need a guy that can take advantage of that...some of that is OL driven, but a young, fresh RB could certainly add a dimension that was sorely lacking last year even with just the current upgrades along the OL

WR - imagine taking Hyatt or another guy at WR - Boyd, Higgins, Chase, Hyatt (or insert here): Would you even need to worry about TE? Most sets should just be 4-wide and gun 'em, along with the clearly pass first TE they signed a few weeks ago...

TE - Land a true TE threat that takes to top off the field and/or just abuses the middle and this offense opens up so much more for Chase and Higgins on the outside....

So - What I guess I mean is - this offense is already on the cusps of being on another level...but there are lots of ways that could help get them there....they have enough pieces to add at any one of those positions - and if they hit - the offense takes a big step forward.
Ideally we take Wright or D. Jones. But if neither are available, you can go best available or just lock TE down for the next 5 years to forget about the revolving door. That way Burrow doesn't have to build chemistry every year with a new TE.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ideally we take Wright or D. Jones. But if neither are available, you can go best available or just lock TE down for the next 5 years to forget about the revolving door. That way Burrow doesn't have to build chemistry every year with a new TE.
I wonder if Eifert ruined it by being hurt all the time.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, I mean, we managed to fill TE last year, we managed to fill it with Smith this year, although I think there is an injury concern. Who's to say we can't just keep finding middle of the road tight ends who mainly block and occasionally give us a 4th option in our passing game.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly - I think Mayer just doesn't fit what the Bengals want in a TE - the league is moving more and more towards Kincaid, Musgrave, and Kraft...guys who are not quite as athletic tend to turn into more of the Samples of the world...blockers because they can't run away from NFL LB's as the LB position continues to get longer and faster as well.

That's not to say that any of those guys can't be top tier TE's, but I think for when the Bengals were picking, and what was there, and looking at this offense in terms of fit...there just wasn't something there. Rather than force a square peg into a round hole, they stuck with their board and got great value picks all over...

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looks like we found a blue collar tight end ufda
not sure if he beats out Sample, but should get the job done.