• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minnesota rules the world of football

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota has produced "something like 14"? I said post a legit link stating Minnesota has produced more NFL coach than any other program. And once again you can't back up what you've claimed in a legit fashion.

So I'm sure the rest of your comment is very questionable and homeristic. Like all of your comments when you're over-pimping Minnesota.

Very odd that each time I have asked you to post a legit link backing up something you've claimed about Minnesota you won't do that.
I'm working dude. Didn't have the time at the time to find any links. And no one lists the NFL coach's alma maters, I just am guessing, an educated guess, that since the "Cradle of Coaches" has only produced like 8 or 10 nfl coaches(I'll know more precisely tonight when I get done with work) and no one else has protested their claim to be the Cradle of Coaches, and UMn's produced more than the mighty Cradle of Coaches, that UMn's produced the most. I've also stated that it's possible a school like Notre Dame or Michigan maybe, has produced more, but until someone else, a Notre Dame fan or a Michigan fan or whoever, does the work to refute my claim, I'll keep claiming it. You can doubt me all you want, but I'll post the names of each and every former Gopher who coached in the NFL tonight when I can dig out my notes, and will post a link to the list of all the people who have coached in the NFL and you can try to refute my claim if you want to, or you can simply trust that since I ALWAYS DO come up with sources, such as the sources for UMn's Men's bb team having been named Natl Champs 3 times, that maybe I do know what I am talking about.

As for the NFL All-Decade teams, I had time one day to do the work of looking up all of those players alma maters myself and indeed UMn had produced the most up til that point, which was prior to the 2010s all-decade team being announced. I'll post all of the former Gopher's names and which All-Decade team(s) they got named to, and the link to the list of all the players who got named to those teams so you can confirm or refute what I'm saying if you want.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Look at UK's bb page on Wikipedia. Look to the right, see the listing for Premo-Peretta and Helms Champions. Same as cfb champions back in the past before the cfp and shit. Team who topped the polls were the champs.

Now look at UMn's bb page.

3 titles, 1901-02, 1902-03, 1918-19.
Why are you so obsessed with touting how good of a school Minnesota was during segregation. Those darn minorities took away Minnesota’s dominance.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(2)"producing the MOST NFL all-decade team members seems pretty good to me"

Due to all the crazy stuff you say I have trouble believing this.
Can you post something legit to back up what you've claimed? All three things. And when I say legit I mean a link. Don't type one of your biased & homeristic mini-essay's.

Tony Dungy made the All-2000s team.

Rick Upchurch made the All-1980s team.

Charlie Sanders, Carl Eller, Bobby Bell & Rick Upchurch all made the All-1970s team.

Bobby Bell made the All-1960s team.

Leo Nomellini made the All-1950s team.

Bronko Nagurski & George Svedson made the All-1940s team.

That's 10 total. Do your own research and find me a school with more.

I already did the research but couldn't find my notes on it, so don't believe me if you choose not to, but you've not once caught me in a lie. I've made simple mistakes that I quickly admitted to or corrected, we all do that, YOU have done it. And having a different opinion is not a lie. Such as my OPINION that UMn is the GOAT of college hockey programs in the nation. I've posted many times the dozens of reasons and pieces of evidence to back up my opinion and all you have done is express the moronic opinion that only the team with the most Natl Titles can claim to be the GOAT of college hockey. That is simply two people having different priorities, leading to different opinions, neither can be labeled as a lie. Saying that, you have never found me to be out right lying about anything and I always eventually provide the documentation to back up everything I've ever posted here that I did not claim to be simply my opinion.

10 is a lot.

And I've already acknowledged that when I did my research, the 2010s All-Decade team had not yet been released, when it was, I checked and no former Gophers made that team, so it's possible some other school got some players onto the team and moved up to 11 total. I'm probably not going to do that research until later this winter if ever, as I'd prefer to find my notes first so I wouldn't have to do all the research over again, and it would require more time that I won't have available until this winter.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since this is a "Minnesota" rules the world of football thread, and I did not specify University of Minnesota on purpose as when I posted this thread originally, it was in part because Mankato St had just won a Div 2 title I believe? Or I had just read about them winning a title recently?

So in expanding the above to include native Minnesotans who went elsewhere to play their football.

Joe Guyon, Ernie Nevers & Walt Keisling all made the 1920s All-Decade team

& Johnny Blood McNally made the 30s All-Decade team. Sid Gillman made the 60s All-Decade team, Dave Casper & Jim Langer both made the 70s All-Decade team

& Larry Fitzgerald made the 2010s All-Decade team.

That's 8.

And you have the links if you want to do your own research and refute my claim. Other states for sure have more than 8, but not sure if looking at it per capita if more than a handful of states have more.

But the 10 that UMn can claim, is a lot.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the list of former UMn football players who went on to coach Pro Football

14. (if you count pre-nfl) Ossie Solem - coached the Mpls Marines from 1913-1920. He went 44-7-3. This was pre-NFL.

1. Rube Ursella coached from 1920-1925,
2. Russell Tollefson coached in 1922,
3. George Gibson coached in 1930,
4. Herb Joesting coached in 1929,
5. Hal Hanson coached in 1932,
6. John McEwan coached in 1933 & 1934, he only attended UMn, then transferred to West Point.
7. Pat Boland coached in 1946,
8. Clark Shaughnessy coached in 1948 & 1949, went 14-7-3, won a Div Title and got fired anyways because of a personality conflict with the owner. He was nominated 3 separate times for the Pro Fb Hall of Fame because of his influence on the game.
9. Bud Grant coached from 1967-1983 and then again in 1985, he went 158-96-5, won a shitload of Div Titles and 4 Conf Titles. He is inducted into the Pro Fb Hall of Fame.
10. Phil Bengston coached from 1968-1972, was hand picked by Lombardi to be his successor at Green Bay.
11. Bud Wilkinson coached in 1978 & 1979,
12. Tony Dungy coached from 1996-2008, went 139-69, became the first African-American to coach a team to a Super Bowl victory, was inducted into the Pro Fb Hall of Fame,
13. Marc Trestman coached in 2013 & 2014.

Miami of Ohio can't claim 13 pro fb coaches.

So you can check it out for yourself.

13 out of 516 is something like 2.5%.

In addition to the 13 in the NFL, 5 coached in the CFL.

Frank Larson coached in 1949 & 1950, made it to one Grey Cup.
Bud Grant coached from 1957-1966, went 102-56-2, made it to 6 Grey Cups winning 4 of them. He was inducted into the CFL Hall of Fame.
Wayne Robinson coached from 1959-1961, he was replaced by another Gopher Dave Skrein.
Dave Skrein coached from 1961-1967 and again in 1971 & 1972, made it to two Grey Cups, winning one of them.
Marc Trestman coached from 2008-2012, went 59-31, made it to at least 2 Grey Cups, maybe 3, but he won 2 in his first stint, then he again coached another team in 2017 & 2018, made it to another Grey Cup and won his 3rd Grey Cup.

Don't think Miami of Ohio can match that, either.

Last edited:

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm working dude. Didn't have the time at the time to find any links. And no one lists the NFL coach's alma maters, I just am guessing, an educated guess, that since the "Cradle of Coaches" has only produced like 8 or 10 nfl coaches(I'll know more precisely tonight when I get done with work) and no one else has protested their claim to be the Cradle of Coaches, and UMn's produced more than the mighty Cradle of Coaches, that UMn's produced the most. I've also stated that it's possible a school like Notre Dame or Michigan maybe, has produced more, but until someone else, a Notre Dame fan or a Michigan fan or whoever, does the work to refute my claim, I'll keep claiming it. You can doubt me all you want, but I'll post the names of each and every former Gopher who coached in the NFL tonight when I can dig out my notes, and will post a link to the list of all the people who have coached in the NFL and you can try to refute my claim if you want to, or you can simply trust that since I ALWAYS DO come up with sources, such as the sources for UMn's Men's bb team having been named Natl Champs 3 times, that maybe I do know what I am talking about.

As for the NFL All-Decade teams, I had time one day to do the work of looking up all of those players alma maters myself and indeed UMn had produced the most up til that point, which was prior to the 2010s all-decade team being announced. I'll post all of the former Gopher's names and which All-Decade team(s) they got named to, and the link to the list of all the players who got named to those teams so you can confirm or refute what I'm saying if you want.

Do you not understand what paragraph's are? Until you figure how to properly use them I'm not reading your absurd mini-essay.

Have you figured out yet that no other Minnesota Gophers fans agree with your nonstop homerism? Wonder why that is?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I worked really late last night and had to start early this morning, so I got you as much as I could Wamu.

As for being #1 at producing NFL Annual Scoring leaders, I'll have to find my notes on that or it's few enough that I could just re-look them up and see if the past couple of seasons may have caught another school up to UMn or not, but I'll just mention the names for now,

Jack Manders ended 2 seasons, 1934 & 1937 as the NFL Scoring leader,
Gordy Soltau ended 2 seasons, 1952 & 1953 as the NFL Scoring leader,
Gino Cappelletti - #1 all-time AFL Scoring leader. Gino ended 1961, 1963, 1964, 1965 & 1966 as the AFL Scoring leader, and he outscored the NFL high scorer in each of those years except 1965 when he tied the NFL point scoring leader.
Chip Lohmiller ended 1991 as the NFL Scoring leader.

That's 10 times a former Gopher led the NFL in scoring.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I worked really late last night and had to start early this morning, so I got you as much as I could Wamu.

As for being #1 at producing NFL Annual Scoring leaders, I'll have to find my notes on that or it's few enough that I could just re-look them up and see if the past couple of seasons may have caught another school up to UMn or not, but I'll just mention the names for now,

Jack Manders ended 2 seasons, 1934 & 1937 as the NFL Scoring leader,
Gordy Soltau ended 2 seasons, 1952 & 1953 as the NFL Scoring leader,
Gino Cappelletti - #1 all-time AFL Scoring leader. Gino ended 1961, 1963, 1964, 1965 & 1966 as the AFL Scoring leader, and he outscored the NFL high scorer in each of those years except 1965 when he tied the NFL point scoring leader.
Chip Lohmiller ended 1991 as the NFL Scoring leader.

That's 10 times a former Gopher led the NFL in scoring.

Don't wanna hear your worked late bullshit anymore. Each time I've asked you to use paragraph's you have the same excuse.

There's simply no reasoning with you. Nobody on this site has ever homered in the nonstop fashion you do. It's pathetic. You're the only person that thinks what their team did in the mid 1930's & early 40's means something today.

You think Minnesota hockey is the elite of the elite yet they haven't won a national title in nearly twenty years.

You've even gone as far as to say espn, 24/7sports & collegefootballnews all have "biased agendas" because none of them have the Gophers ranked as a top 10 program all time. But you think some site I've never heard of, tip-top25, is legit because they have your team in the top 10. And you've even said ncaa-.com is invalid.

So you choose to ignore all those site that don't have your team in the top 10 all time.

I've tried being reasonable with you many times in the past and it's a lost cause. You don't live in reality.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't wanna hear your worked late bullshit anymore. Each time I've asked you to use paragraph's you have the same excuse.

There's simply no reasoning with you. Nobody on this site has ever homered in the nonstop fashion you do. It's pathetic. You're the only person that thinks what their team did in the mid 1930's & early 40's means something today.

You think Minnesota hockey is the elite of the elite yet they haven't won a national title in nearly twenty years.

You've even gone as far as to say espn, 24/7sports & collegefootballnews all have "biased agendas" because none of them have the Gophers ranked as a top 10 program all time. But you think some site I've never heard of, tip-top25, is legit because they have your team in the top 10. And you've even said ncaa-.com is invalid.

So you choose to ignore all those site that don't have your team in the top 10 all time.

I've tried being reasonable with you many times in the past and it's a lost cause. You don't live in reality.

He's a loon who roots for a program that's been garbage the past 60 years.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a loon who roots for a program that's been garbage the past 60 years.

No doubt about that. He's the only person I've seen on this site that has been asked what makes his football team so great right now and his answer involves the 1930's, 1940's, WW II and Minnesota hockey & basketball.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you not understand what paragraph's are? Until you figure how to properly use them I'm not reading your absurd mini-essay.

Excuses, excuses, that's all you got is excuses, you are sounding like the pathetic D people who don't want to debate the R people, coming up with bs excuses and always trying to deny or ignore the facts.

Have you figured out yet that no other Minnesota Gophers fans agree with your nonstop homerism? Wonder why that is?

There are other Minnesota Gopher fans that agree with me. Where do you think I get alot of my inspiration and ideas and facts from?

Ross Bernstein is one of those people.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excuses, excuses, that's all you got is excuses, you are sounding like the pathetic D people who don't want to debate the R people, coming up with bs excuses and always trying to deny or ignore the facts.

There are other Minnesota Gopher fans that agree with me. Where do you think I get alot of my inspiration and ideas and facts from?

Ross Bernstein is one of those people.

"excuses, excuses, that's all you got is excuses" :laugh3:

Oh the irony.

Says the fella that has to mention Minnesota hockey, baseball and basketball to explain why Minnesota football is so good right now.

Which Gophers fans on this site agree with you? If you don't answer, which I expect, gonna give you alotta shit about it. So who exactly on this site has agreed with your nonstop Gophers homerism?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt about that. He's the only person I've seen on this site that has been asked what makes his football team so great right now and his answer involves the 1930's, 1940's, WW II and Minnesota hockey & basketball.
I've explained the reasons why I think UMn football is rising and will continue to rise and why it fell in the first place, many times.

But like the Ds of the world, you like to make up your own narrative, lie about what I have said and haven't said and twist and manipulate everything you can, it's pathetic.

Facts are facts, nothing homeristic about facts, jack.

It's somehow ok for Notre Dame to have gone 34 years without a Natl Title, they still get to claim to be one of the greatest college football programs of all time, if not the GOAT. Michigan gets to be in the conversation, despite it being 25 years since their last title, a shared one, and that being their only recognized title in 75 years? Oh, but my gosh, UMn's not yet gone 2 decades without a title and how dare they claim to be anything but garbage, right?

UMn's had THREE times as many Natl Titles in Hockey as Notre Dame has had since 1978.
UMn's had FIVE times as many Natl Titles in Hockey since 1973 as Michigan has had in football since 1950.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"excuses, excuses, that's all you got is excuses" :laugh3:

Oh the irony.

Says the fella that has to mention Minnesota hockey, baseball and basketball to explain why Minnesota football is so good right now.

Which Gophers fans on this site agree with you? If you don't answer, which I expect, gonna give you alotta shit about it. So who exactly on this site has agreed with your nonstop Gophers homerism?
I didn't say, on this site. In general.

Ross Bernstein, for one. Author of over 50 sports books.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say, on this site. In general.

Ross Bernstein, for one. Author of over 50 sports books.

Oh so there are Gophers fans that agree with your nonstop homeristic agenda but they all happen to be on other sites.

:laugh3:

You're hilarious.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh so there are Gophers fans that agree with your nonstop homeristic agenda but they all happen to be on other sites.

You're hilarious.
That's not what I said. You like to take what I post and manipulate it to say what you want it to say, don't you?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're hilarious.
Facts are facts, doesn't matter what other Gopher fans think or do or say, NONE of them control me or influence me or what I think or say or do.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What da fuck!?!?

Calling total homeristic bullshit. Nothing new from you.

Exactly which year did Minnesota win a CBB national title?

How can you say the Gophers won a CBB national title? They only have one Final Four trip ('97).

Buckle up for that one

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon is far easier to poke fun of than say, Ohio State, a school that's actually a school that ranks very high, not as high as Minnesota, of course, but way higher than Oregon academically and in regards to what it brings in for research dollars.

And OSU has actually won a Natty in football, and recently, and a legit title in cbb and even one in baseball, too.

And OSU has also won a Natty in wrestling & women's hockey recently, and the year the Gopher's string of 4+ straight years of winning at least the Pom and/or Jazz Dance Natl Titles ended, it was OSU that ended that winning streak winning both of those events.

Lol

The only 2 sports that make money OSU is way better at.

Even without those 2 OSU has a better program. Minny has 0 top 10 finishes in the Directors Cup

OSU has 13