• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Thomas

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just a hunch on my part, but I think we're going to see Mike Thomas moved to the same receiving back/slot WR role that Reggie Bush and Theo Riddick will be used in.

Thomas was a combo back/WR in college and Mayhew was very interested in him a few years ago coming out of Arizona. He's got a "scat back" build to him and runs in the 4.3 range, so getting some time in the backfield makes a lot of sense to me.

I don't think we'll see him get a ton of carries, mind you, but once all 3 of those guys are established as both runners and slot receivers it gives our offense a ton of versatility. If the defense matches them up with a 3rd LB, then we drop them down into the slot and take advantage of a huge speed mismatch in the passing game. If they go with an extra CB to match-up, then you motion them to the backfield and run the ball.

I read an article a couple of years ago that suggested that this kind of back will see a surge in popularity as these spread offenses take off, and, imo, that's exactly what we're seeing now. In much the same way that teams use an athletic TE to create sub-package mismatches, teams can use receiving backs to do the same thing.

So, while we didn't see much out of Thomas last year, I think Mayhew and Shorts have a plan for him, and I think we'll see him in the backfield a fair amount this season.

I also vote we start calling the position those three (Bush, Thomas and Riddick) play "combo back" because it's a better description of what they do than "running back." If we all get on the same page we can make it a thing, and then, when it catches on and analysts start using it we'll know that we Lions fans started it, lol...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is possible they use him in that capacity, but it is more likely they use him in the slot and in the return game -- kind of like they used Stefan Logan, but Thomas will be used more in the passing game.

With Bush, LeShoure, Bell and Riddick (not sure if Kevin Smith is still with the Lions or not) -- Detroit has a full backfield. Not sure how Thomas would fit in with all the RBs they already have.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do know, I am all for anything that makes the Lions offense more unpredictable and potent. I just really want to see the Lions offense find a way to get the safeties to move up closer to the line of scrimmage, as that would open up the big play possibility the Lions were missing last year.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd support seeing him move around, go in motion, create mismatches and draw attention away from CJs side of the field. And I'd also like to see him return kicks. Catching a couple TDs would also be nice. Whatever it takes for him to make losing that 4th round pick worthwhile.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd support seeing him cut a young receiver took his place. We have Bush and Reddick for the sweet mismatch role, we don't need a third. We need a couple of real receivers.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd support seeing him move around, go in motion, create mismatches and draw attention away from CJs side of the field. And I'd also like to see him return kicks. Catching a couple TDs would also be nice. Whatever it takes for him to make losing that 4th round pick worthwhile.

I think he will be much improved this year, with the extra time to learn the offense. At least I hope so. As you said -- losing that 4th rounder in this draft kind of hurt, as it was so deep and there were alot of quality players on the board in the 4th.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is possible they use him in that capacity, but it is more likely they use him in the slot and in the return game -- kind of like they used Stefan Logan, but Thomas will be used more in the passing game.

With Bush, LeShoure, Bell and Riddick (not sure if Kevin Smith is still with the Lions or not) -- Detroit has a full backfield. Not sure how Thomas would fit in with all the RBs they already have.
I'm not saying they won't still use him in the slot, I just think they establish him in the backfield as well. We have 3 guys who can play both RB and slot WR, so it makes sense to ensure the defense has to respect them in both capacities when they're on the field.

I'm not saying that he'll get a ton of carries, imo he'd be the 5th back in terms of carries in this set-up, but it's just the threat of him being able to do it that we need. Kevin Smith isn't on the team anymore, he was a free agent as of this offseason.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As you said -- losing that 4th rounder in this draft kind of hurt, as it was so deep and there were alot of quality players on the board in the 4th.
5th rounder.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Smith isn't on the team at the moment. But he wasn't on the team last year either, until he was on the team last year. He's crazy like that. I'll be honest, I have a grudge against Mike Thomas. Not an axe to grind, but maybe a chip on my shoulder. Couple outside linebackers, DEs, RTs, safeties and one Denard Robinson were around, and we got a dude that couldn't hold Khris Durham down on the depth chart. But he could remedy what's ailing me by contributing, just better not catch fumbleitus.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We didn't have a high 4th, but had a high 5th. Either way, I blame Mike Thomas for that.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel Thomas was oh shit we need depth trade. I do not see him in big picture. My glass half full sees Nate back on time and between Broyles and the Hokie and the Lions going back to drafting a WR early next year. Bye bye Thomas and some will be pissed about the trade and losing pick. I think we see some 2 TE set with Fauria in the mix and might see Bush or Reddick in slot and Bell and Leshoure in backfield. We seem able to create mismatches finally. Do we execute them FINALLY??

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We didn't have a high 4th, but had a high 5th. Either way, I blame Mike Thomas for that.

I blame Mike Thomas too. I also blame Mike Thomas for McDonald's raising the price on their 4 piece McNuggets from $1 to $1.19.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Our 4th went to Minnesota last year to move up and draft Tahir Whitehead in the 5th last year. We traded an extra 5th that we had (not sure from whom) for Thomas.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our 4th went to Minnesota last year to move up and draft Tahir Whitehead in the 5th last year. We traded an extra 5th that we had (not sure from whom) for Thomas.

Ahhhhhh, thank you for clearing that up Señor Paulus. And... That was shitty of Mike Thomas to jack up the price of nuggies.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel Thomas was oh shit we need depth trade. I do not see him in big picture. My glass half full sees Nate back on time and between Broyles and the Hokie and the Lions going back to drafting a WR early next year. Bye bye Thomas and some will be pissed about the trade and losing pick. I think we see some 2 TE set with Fauria in the mix and might see Bush or Reddick in slot and Bell and Leshoure in backfield. We seem able to create mismatches finally. Do we execute them FINALLY??
:gaah:

Millen at his finest.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:gaah:

Millen at his finest.

Nope ... just not afraid to actually put my thoughts up for scrutiny. Jayfan you are only good at scrutinizing. Never see more than troll activity from you. Step up and let's see your insight on what you think will happen. That is if you are not scared too!!:2cents:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think between Thomas, Slay, Riddick and Bell we won't have to worry about Bush returning kicks. Hopefully that's the case, anyhow...