• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Stoops

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong Stoops would be a great DC. So leave papuchis as recruiting coordinator. And bring in Stoops to run the D.

sounds good to me

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I jest wanna know who Nebraska885's sources are en sech. The dude just shows up out of nowhere on here and has this information......

He's been around a while..

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm told Nebraska has the wherewithal to pay a new coordinator big money. But I doubt NU would want to shell out $500,000-per-year or more for a coordinator. Hiring Stoops might just require that much cash.

Ya think?

Nebraska885

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I jest wanna know who Nebraska885's sources are en sech. The dude just shows up out of nowhere on here and has this information......

Lol. This dude was sending you pm's back in August 2010 when I said Martinez was the starting quarterback....

I know players, ex players, coaches, ex-coaches...so I have good sources but with the coaching climate of today; if OU or OSU ups the ante for stoops and busch (as they are also pursuing both coaches) and out of what Osborne will spend on coaches then we are screwed.

popeyecv64

and thats all I have to say about that
Smack dab in the middle of a great state Nebraska
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
m15000_waiting.jpg

Weeeeell ---- were waaaiting

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol pops

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. This dude was sending you pm's back in August 2010 when I said Martinez was the starting quarterback....

I know players, ex players, coaches, ex-coaches...so I have good sources but with the coaching climate of today; if OU or OSU ups the ante for stoops and busch (as they are also pursuing both coaches) and out of what Osborne will spend on coaches then we are screwed.

Ahhhhhh now I remember. Well thanks for the info that you're able to give us. We appreciate it much. Hope we get Mike, but I don't see it happening......it would just be totally not like Nebraska to make such a move.

Nebraska885

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm glad Marvin got his family shit together to jet off to FAU with Carl (sarcasm). I don't care that he put his dick in a coed; he is a hell of a coach. That was all Harvey and Tom with their moral clause and now FAU will reap the benefits. Don't be surprised to see Ganz depart for FAU this week as well.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I jest think that he is not nearly experienced enough to be running a defense even if it's just in name. Maybe in 5 years he'll be ready.

There's not a million josh mcdaniels types out there. In fact they're very rare. And what I mean by that is a very young coach who can handle play calling and running a defense.

Coach papuchis would be spread too thin if he was DC and recruiting coordinator. And who is our special teams guy now?

I don't believe he's qualified right now. On paper he's certainly not. The DC job at Nebraska is serious business, sirs.

This is dead on. I would like to see Stoops come in. He is not going to stay but if we get two to three years before he is back in a HC position then those are years Papuchis has to grow into the position and take it on.

If he is promoted now then we need to hire or shift duties to get a recruiting coordinator, special teams and defensive line. These will be young guys who are learning their jobs while Papuchis is learning his. Just too much On the job training going on at once.

The experiment has to conclude at sometime and go with what wins.

It only makes sense to bring Stoops in to help us get to the next level and let Papuchis grow into the position for when Stoops moves on.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we need to change the thread title again.

Sean Callahan @Sean_Callahan 12 mins

Texas A&M is apparently joining the club for teams that are in hot pursuit of Mike Stoops becoming their defensive coordinator.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still I think we would be a front runner with the right offer. tOSU and OU both look like they would be co-coordinators at this point. Nebraska would be coordinator and he is interested.

Now if Venables moved on from OU then it is a different picture. Which means if Bo was going to do this he would need to move quickly, which he isn't, leading me to suspect Papuchis will be our next DC and we will be bringing in more high school coaches to apprentice at a major program

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While it would be real neat and stuff to have Stoops, I'd rather get a guy who would be around for more than 1 season. No way in hell are we going to run out and pay some guy double of what our current OC is getting paid. Like hisl and others said it will come from within and then we will hire new assistants to cover.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not saying it won't come from within, this is what I expect but,

Our current OC does not have a resume as an OC. He has one year experience. Why would it be wrong to pay a successful experienced DC more? Why would he expect to make what an experienced coordinator would make? When he has the resume he will get paid what his resume demands or we will lose them.

Actually in today's world we will probably lose them anyway. But this is even more reason to bring in a name now while the lower ranks ready to replace them. Papachus isn't ready now though. Just like Beck wasn't ready in the Wisconsin game or the Northwestern game.

This is a learning curve we are experiencing as our HC, our OC, our new asst. coaches and now another DC learn their job. We will continue to stumble in games through out the season until they gain the resume someone like Stoops has.

The same with the assistants we bring in to replace the coaches moving up and moving out. High school football is not B1G football no matter how great the school. There will be a even bigger learning curve for those coaches than our coordinators promoted from within.

I myself would prefer to pay a name with experience and glean that experience from him at the lower ranks while we have him even if we know he will be leaving.

The alternative is to lose some while they learn. If we are happy to be a 9 win team then this works. I don't want to sound like all doom and gloom but it's not magic. There is a learning curve. If we want to compete Top 10 and hoefully Top 5 then we have to have the names to do it. If we want to create these names than we will have to wait to compete.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not saying it won't come from within, this is what I expect but,

Our current OC does not have a resume as an OC. He has one year experience. Why would it be wrong to pay a successful experienced DC more? Why would he expect to make what an experienced coordinator would make? When he has the resume he will get paid what his resume demands or we will lose them.

Actually in today's world we will probably lose them anyway. But this is even more reason to bring in a name now while the lower ranks ready to replace them. Papachus isn't ready now though. Just like Beck wasn't ready in the Wisconsin game or the Northwestern game.

This is a learning curve we are experiencing as our HC, our OC, our new asst. coaches and now another DC learn their job. We will continue to stumble in games through out the season until they gain the resume someone like Stoops has.

The same with the assistants we bring in to replace the coaches moving up and moving out. High school football is not B1G football no matter how great the school. There will be a even bigger learning curve for those coaches than our coordinators promoted from within.

I myself would prefer to pay a name with experience and glean that experience from him at the lower ranks while we have him even if we know he will be leaving.

The alternative is to lose some while they learn. If we are happy to be a 9 win team then this works. I don't want to sound like all doom and gloom but it's not magic. There is a learning curve. If we want to compete Top 10 and hoefully Top 5 then we have to have the names to do it. If we want to create these names than we will have to wait to compete.

Nebraska is one of only 8 teams to win 9 games or more in the last 4 seasons.
Nothing to be ashamed of, and I hope the 9 or more games streak is here to stay.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska is one of only 8 teams to win 9 games or more in the last 4 seasons.
Nothing to be ashamed of, and I hope the 9 or more games streak is here to stay.

That is nice but all it means is we are consistently average. How many 3 loss teams get into a BCS bowl? Outside the Big East and and ACC you're looking at maybe backing into one once a decade.

9 wins are not the measuring stick any more, 3 regular season losses and you're out of the conversation. I am talking regular season and if we want BCS than the "9" is not enough. We need the "or more"

Last edited by a moderator:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I said "or more".

9-3 is by no means "average". :L

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L????
I haven't done the math to see what average is in today's FBS series but I would guess 8 or 9 regular season is average. I certainly didn't mean to insult anyone though.

You may very well be right and it is above average. You can do the math if that is the point that is important to you. I was trying to point out why I would not be happy with a "9 win" season. This is what I had originally posted we would have to be content with if we continue to "train" staff.

Since you responded to that post y pointing out we were one of the 8 consistantly "9 or more win teams" (which we are the 9, never 10) I assumed you were saying 9 was something to be proud of (the inverse of ashamed of which you said it was not).

Anyway if it is average or above average is not improtant to me. The fact 9 is not BCS contender is. If that is enough for Husker fans now more power to you (though I am still alum and still consider myself a fan even if my opinion disagrees with yours).

Yeah we certainly could do worse. I am not slamming you but I would like more. I would like conference championships and BCS games.

Anyway that doesn't seem to be the point anymore.
So I really didn't come on to annoy you or anyone. Didn't come on to insult or troll the Huskers. I am one.

Just really trying to explain my position why I would prefer a "name" now rather than wait through a learning curve and maybe just maybe drum up some discussion on a dead board.

End up feeling like I am viewed as a Jed though.
You know just maybe he has a point about dissenting views. No one wants a naysayer at a pep rally right?

Peace out.

Last edited by a moderator: