• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

mike leach on playoffs

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is nothing to debate, he doesn't make an actual argument. His entire skit there was nothing more than a logical fallacy.

There are many names for it, appeal to the masses, appeal to popularity, etc. His argument is that if everyone else does it, then it must be right. And that's obvious false logic.

Argumentum ad populum - Wikipedia

Now, here's the reality.

None of those divisions he mentions are really capable of running the same system FBS has. It's not that they shunned such things really, it's just that it's not really possible.

I mean take highschool for example. I know shit has changed a good bit since my days decades ago, we didn't even have 7a in Alabama back then, but I went to a 6a school and our schedule only consisted for like 3 other 6a schools and then the rest of the schedule were 5a, 4a and 3a schools local.

You can't really judge teams accurately on these kinds of schedules. I think our regular seasons were like 8 games or something like that. So yeah, you win your little division and you go play at state because there was no real way to judge them. Not to mention the lack of a system needed to have informed people to make such decisions to start with. Which only exists at the FBS level.

Plus, his entire bitch is that not enough teams make it. But it doesn't matter how many teams you choose for the playoffs, there is a cutoff point and there are teams who didn't do enough to make it. I see nothing more than sour grapes. Maybe he should try winning more games, Washington seemed to make it somehow, and they lost a game that year. Maybe it will hit him while he watches them at the Rose Bowl that winning more than 9 or 10 games in a season is kind of important.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is nothing to debate, he doesn't make an actual argument. His entire skit there was nothing more than a logical fallacy.

There are many names for it, appeal to the masses, appeal to popularity, etc. His argument is that if everyone else does it, then it must be right. And that's obvious false logic.

Now, here's the reality.

None of those divisions he mentions are really capable of running the same system FBS has. It's not that they shunned such things really, it's just that it's not really possible.

I mean take highschool for example. I know shit has changed a good bit since my days decades ago, we didn't even have 7a in Alabama back then, but I went to a 6a school and our schedule only consisted for like 3 other 6a schools and then the rest of the schedule were 5a, 4a and 3a schools local.

You can't really judge teams accurately on these kinds of schedules. I think our regular seasons were like 8 games or something like that. So yeah, you win your little division and you go play at state because there was no real way to judge them. Not to mention the lack of a system needed to have informed people to make such decisions to start with. Which only exists at the FBS level.

Plus, his entire bitch is that not enough teams make it. But it doesn't matter how many teams you choose for the playoffs, there is a cutoff point and there are teams who didn't do enough to make it. I see nothing more than sour grapes. Maybe he should try winning more games, Washington seemed to make it somehow, and they lost a game that year. Maybe it will hit him while he watches them at the Rose Bowl that winning more than 9 or 10 games in a season is kind of important.
It’s Appeal to Authority, not the logical fallacy you mentioned. I usually write ‘be smarter’ here, but really: don’t try to be smart. It doesn’t suit you.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should've won Apple Cup if you wanted in that bad!
It's not like you didn't know how this system works.....

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leach is right to point out how disingenuous arguments are to keep the playoffs at 4 from the NCAA, if that's what he is alluding to without saying mean stuff about them. Otherwise, it skirts into logical fallacy territory. Take your pick of which one, I really don't care.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should've won Apple Cup if you wanted in that bad!
It's not like you didn't know how this system works.....

If officials called the obvious targeting against USC then they wouldn't have needed to win the Apple Cup to play for the conference championship though.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leach tells us exactly what he thinks about certain subjects. In doing so, he doesn't give one flying fuck if anyone disagrees with him or is offended by what he says...especially Craig James and little fat girlfriends.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s Appeal to Authority, not the logical fallacy you mentioned. I usually write ‘be smarter’ here, but really: don’t try to be smart. It doesn’t suit you.

You're an idiot. What authority did he appeal to?

Are you saying Highschool football and lower divisions are the authority on playoffs?

Hell I gave you a link to the fallacy and everything.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've actually changed my belief on the playoff system entirely after I saw an article about the topic. I think the perfect scenario is dissolving the B12 into the other P5 conferences and making 4 large conferences, with two divisions each. You only are allowed to play these P4 conferences OOC. Division champs play in the 4 conference championship games (which are essentially the first leg of the playoff). From the 8 teams in the conference championship games, 4 are crowned champs and go to the playoffs. The four face off in the current playoff system for a national title. It's clean, void of most major controversy and gives fans a great product. But it would require MAJOR changes around the sport to happen. The biggest problem right now is that we have an odd (5) number of major conferences and not enough spots for the champions of those conferences. Every year is going to be trying to decide on the eye test alone which 1 loss team is better than the other 1 loss team.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is dead on. 32 and 64 were just Pirate being Pirate, but 12 is great.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now, here's the reality.

A cutoff at 8 or 16 teams is huge difference than 4 teams. A team can bitch if they have 1 loss, even none like UCF (even though they have a shit schedule). You cant bitch about not being in a 16 team playoff where you have 3 losses. It’s like NBA if you are 9 seed, you dont see those teams bitching. It’s a HUGE difference

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A cutoff at 8 or 16 teams is huge difference than 4 teams. A team can bitch if they have 1 loss, even none like UCF (even though they have a shit schedule). You cant bitch about not being in a 16 team playoff where you have 3 losses. It’s like NBA if you are 9 seed, you dont see those teams bitching. It’s a HUGE difference

If you think people bitch about the 4th spot, wait until it's the 8th spot. when you have even more teams claiming that last spot should be theirs.

And when the SEC gets 3 in, there will be the same exact crying.

When UCF ends up 9th because of their schedule, the same exact crying.

The bottom line is all the crying will continue because it's 100% nothing more than being on the other side of the cutoff. The closer those teams are to making that cutoff, the louder they are.

Also, not sure what the NBA matters here. They play series, not single games. They play the same opponents multiple times, etc. It's not even close to being the same.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice, we’ve blown right through 6 and 8 and are right on to changing FBS to FCS because Mike Leach....

Do you retards ever stop to just think about the shit you post?