• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michigan bit with the Alabama and OSU career ending injury bug

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@MAIZEandBLUE09 will be here with a proper explanation soon enough.

Harbaugh would never process kids out of Michigan the way Nick and Urban do.
He most definitely will. It started with no guaranteed 5th year scholarship, now players "medically retiring", multiple players transferring out, etc.
Will he remove players at the rate Meyer did in his first 3 years at OSU? No, because he isn't dealing with scholarship loss, as Meyer was when he took over.

That being said -- that is exactly what coaches do when taking over a program. Rid themselves of recruit who either don't fit or haven't lived up to expectations. They weren't brought in by the coaches so they don't have any attachments to them. That is why you see the medical hardships fall off the map after the 1st 3 to 4 years. It has absolutely nothing to do with Bama's S&C coach, as 420 believes. After 4 years, you aren't dealing with recruits from the former staff unless you have a 5th year senior you allowed to come back.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No you started this thread because you really believe that Jimmy Jam is in the same coaching class as Saban & Meyer. Here are their career coaching records (@ major programs)...

Saban: 196-60-1 (5 Natty's)
Meyer: 154-27 (3 Natty's)

Jimmy Jam: 39-24 (2015 Spring Game National Champs)

Taking over established programs is a nice perk.

Stanford was 118th in offense and 109th on defense the prior year when he took over. There was 119 teams. From 1-11 to 12-1 in 4 years is pretty impressive. Which is why the NFL came knocking.

Running up a record is nice when you take over multiple elite programs. Michigan is the closest thing to an elite program Harbaugh has coached and they haven't been elite in a LOOOOONG time.

Make sure you list the coaching records in the NFL. You know, where everyone is on a level playong field and you are going against the best of the best. :)

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking over established programs is a nice perk.

Stanford was 118th in offense and 109th on defense the prior year when he took over. There was 119 teams. From 1-11 to 12-1 in 4 years is pretty impressive. Which is why the NFL came knocking.

Running up a record is nice when you take over multiple elite programs. Michigan is the closest thing to an elite program Harbaugh has coached and they haven't been elite in a LOOOOONG time.

Make sure you list the coaching records in the NFL. You know, where everyone is on a level playong field and you are going against the best of the best. :)

You're hilarious. All you can do to validate what Jimmy Jam has done in CFB (which isn't much yet) is bring up what he did in the NFL. It's meaningless! By your silly standards since Saban didn't do well in the NFL he's not a good CFB coach. You must have your Crazy Jimbo homer goggles super glued to your face.:nod:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're hilarious. All you can do to validate what Jimmy Jam has done in CFB (which isn't much yet) is bring up what he did in the NFL. It's meaningless! By your silly standards since Saban didn't do well in the NFL he's not a good CFB coach. You must have your Crazy Jimbo homer goggles super glued to your face.:nod:

I guess you didn't read how atrocious the Stanford he took over was. In 4 years, they finished 12-1 and top 5 in the country.

Since you want to talk about records -- How many years has each coached at a top program?

Unfortunately for Harbaugh, while Saban and Meyer were working their way up the coaching ladder -- he was playing out his 16 year NFL career.

As for Saban -- I said he is a great college coach, one of the best. Doesn't mean you are a great football coach regardless of the level though. He has tremendous advantages being at one of the premier football schools which happens to sit squarely in some of the best recruiting areas in the country. Prior to LSU and Bama, what exactly did Saban accomplish? Personally, Urban Meyer has a more impressive resume, even though I like the way Bama plays over Meyer's teams.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you didn't read how atrocious the Stanford he took over was. In 4 years, they finished 12-1 and top 5 in the country.

Since you want to talk about records -- How many years has each coached at a top program?

Unfortunately for Harbaugh, while Saban and Meyer were working their way up the coaching ladder -- he was playing out his 16 year NFL career.

As for Saban -- I said he is a great college coach, one of the best. Doesn't mean you are a great football coach regardless of the level though. He has tremendous advantages being at one of the premier football schools which happens to sit squarely in some of the best recruiting areas in the country. Prior to LSU and Bama, what exactly did Saban accomplish? Personally, Urban Meyer has a more impressive resume, even though I like the way Bama plays over Meyer's teams.

You're right, he's the bestest CFB ever. Oddly enough he hasn't won anything yet but that really doesn't matter.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No you started this thread because you really believe that Jimmy Jam is in the same coaching class as Saban & Meyer. Here are their career coaching records (@ major programs)...

It's cute how they think they're anywhere close to that level. One mediocre season and they already think they get a seat at the big boy table.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started the thread to get a good laugh. It is amazing how these programs have players suffering career ending injuries after new coaches take over.
It is called forced attrition. It has nothing to do with a plague of injuries unseen before in college football. It is a way the coaches can clear roster spots without looking like a bad guy. Period.

Some fans willingly accept this, others make excuses.

If a player is able to play after an injury is relative to the talent on the team. I'm sure Tyrone Prothro could have gone out there and "played" in 2007 as far as being able to run at some speed, and do whatever even after his grueling injury that he has had a dozen surgeries since.

But that doesn't mean he would have been able to play at the level needed to compete and contribute to the team. He no doubt would have lost a good bit of speed, flexibility and agility due to his injuries.

Now, if the team is low on talent, then maybe even after such injuries he could still contribute to such a team. He might could have transferred to some JC team and got playing time, to which people like yourself would be like "Them Alabama doctors just pushed him off the team". But on a team stacked with talent, such a player is basically unable to perform at the level needed and thus takes a medical.

It's all about the level of play after the injury and it's all relative to the team. But carry on with your ignorance.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's cute how they think they're anywhere close to that level. One mediocre season and they already think they get a seat at the big boy table.

I think JH is a good coach, I have said that before. But he just doesn't have the resume right now.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a player is able to play after an injury is relative to the talent on the team. I'm sure Tyrone Prothro could have gone out there and "played" in 2007 as far as being able to run at some speed, and do whatever even after his grueling injury that he has had a dozen surgeries since.

But that doesn't mean he would have been able to play at the level needed to compete and contribute to the team. He no doubt would have lost a good bit of speed, flexibility and agility due to his injuries.

Now, if the team is low on talent, then maybe even after such injuries he could still contribute to such a team. He might could have transferred to some JC team and got playing time, to which people like yourself would be like "Them Alabama doctors just pushed him off the team". But on a team stacked with talent, such a player is basically unable to perform at the level needed and thus takes a medical.

It's all about the level of play after the injury and it's all relative to the team. But carry on with your ignorance.

2008-2010 -- Alabama 12 Medical Hardships given out

2008-2010 -- Average number of Medical Hardships given out by the other 120+ teams -- 1.18
Average of the rest of the SEC combined -- 2

One of us is being ignorant. I'll give you a hint. It is the guy who thinks his team suffers career ending injuries at a rate never seen before in NCAA History. It is also the guy who thinks the team magically fixed it. How about this -- tell us all out of the 2008-2010 Medical Hardships, how many of those guys were recruited by Saban?

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now now. They did beat Oregon once too.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2008-2010 -- Alabama 12 Medical Hardships given out

2008-2010 -- Average number of Medical Hardships given out by the other 120+ teams -- 1.18
Average of the rest of the SEC combined -- 2

One of us is being ignorant. I'll give you a hint. It is the guy who thinks his team suffers career ending injuries at a rate never seen before in NCAA History. It is also the guy who thinks the team magically fixed it. How about this -- tell us all out of the 2008-2010 Medical Hardships, how many of those guys were recruited by Saban?

Here are the facts:

1. You don't have to give a kid a medical scholarship to kick them off the team. Scholarships have to be renewed every year.

2. The Shula years were notably marked for having seasons ruined by injury. Every fucking year it happened. We'd lose players almost every game it seemed like. He still gets shit to this day for having Prothro in the Florida game when he was injured.

3. Alabama currently has a S&C program that is considered one of the best in the country, if not the best. That was not the case prior to 2008.

4. Alabama does currently have the best sports medical program in the country when it comes to injury recovery and prevention. We rarely suffer injuries anymore, and when we do suffer them - the kids are coming back in record times. Many times these are injuries that in the past would have been career enders.

5. We still lose kids to injury, but they are still good enough after they recover to play for lower level teams. Dee Hart is a good example of that at Colorado St. Kid was 5 star RB coming out of highschool, but kept having injuries. Due to his injuries he was passed up on the depth chart, so he ended up transferring to Colorado St. As I already mentioned - how well a kid comes back from injury is a relative to the team.

But you can keep claiming whatever you want. I'll debunk your bullshit and then just quit responding to you completely like I did before until you make yet another thread about it, or until the mods get tired of your shit and start moving them to the Michigan board where they belong.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How Alabama is so successful with injury recovery and prevention

This past season Robert Foster was the only starter to miss more than one game due to an injury.

And:

There were only two other starters that even missed one game — nickel back Minkah Fitzpatrick and right tackle Dominick Jackson.

But yeah, there is no difference in the amount of injuries to players 10 years ago to today.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the facts:

1. You don't have to give a kid a medical scholarship to kick them off the team. Scholarships have to be renewed every year.

2. The Shula years were notably marked for having seasons ruined by injury. Every fucking year it happened. We'd lose players almost every game it seemed like. He still gets shit to this day for having Prothro in the Florida game when he was injured.

3. Alabama currently has a S&C program that is considered one of the best in the country, if not the best. That was not the case prior to 2008.

4. Alabama does currently have the best sports medical program in the country when it comes to injury recovery and prevention. We rarely suffer injuries anymore, and when we do suffer them - the kids are coming back in record times. Many times these are injuries that in the past would have been career enders.

5. We still lose kids to injury, but they are still good enough after they recover to play for lower level teams. Dee Hart is a good example of that at Colorado St. Kid was 5 star RB coming out of highschool, but kept having injuries. Due to his injuries he was passed up on the depth chart, so he ended up transferring to Colorado St. As I already mentioned - how well a kid comes back from injury is a relative to the team.

But you can keep claiming whatever you want. I'll debunk your bullshit and then just quit responding to you completely like I did before until you make yet another thread about it, or until the mods get tired of your shit and start moving them to the Michigan board where they belong.
You aren't debunking anything. You are making excuses for what everyone else already KNOWS. Bama didn't suffer a string of career ending injuries in Saban's first 4 years, same way it didn't happen at OSU and it isn't happening at Michigan.
It is an easy out to remove a player and open up a scholarship.....period. you may get one, maybe two guys every few years. NO ONE is losing 12 and 13 to "career ending injuries" in a 3 or 4 year span, unless they are clearing out roster spots.

You still haven't answered. How many of the players that Saban gave the hardship to were guys he recruited in his 1st 4 years?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You aren't debunking anything. You are making excuses for what everyone else already KNOWS. Bama didn't suffer a string of career ending injuries in Saban's first 4 years, same way it didn't happen at OSU and it isn't happening at Michigan.
It is an easy out to remove a player and open up a scholarship.....period. you may get one, maybe two guys every few years. NO ONE is losing 12 and 13 to "career ending injuries" in a 3 or 4 year span, unless they are clearing out roster spots.

You still haven't answered. How many of the players that Saban gave the hardship to were guys he recruited in his 1st 4 years?

All that matters is JH helped the Raiders & Rich Gannon win 37 SB. Also JH was a 1st team All American in '86 (even though QB Vinny Testaverde won the Heisman that year). Hey I'm just repeating what you've said in the past. It really doesn't matter that what you said is wrong though!

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that matters is JH helped the Raiders & Rich Gannon win 37 SB. Also JH was a 1st team All American in '86 (even though QB Vinny Testaverde won the Heisman that year). Hey I'm just repeating what you've said in the past. It really doesn't matter that what you said is wrong though!
Same question to OSU fans. How many of the medical hardships Meyer handed out were to players he really recruited? My guess is this question will be ignowed just as Bama fans have ignored responding. The answer to the question will prove my point.

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same question to OSU fans. How many of the medical hardships Meyer handed out were to players he really recruited? My guess is this question will be ignowed just as Bama fans have ignored responding. The answer to the question will prove my point.

The answer is......................Yo' coach is a fag.

rjVXmjU.jpg

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Devan Bogard, Armani Reeves, Jamel Dean, Kyle Berger just off the top of my head. Will look and see who else.

Add Kyle Dodson and Trey Johnson.

Not ignored, nor ignowed.

Last edited:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know the answer to the question and frankly don't care.

If he wanted to clear roster spots he could have just kicked them off the team. I wouldn't care either way.

Anyway, good luck and see you in a week when you create this same stupid thread over again.