• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michigan adds to coaching staff

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I understand your thoughts on players being cut for no reason -- unless the NCAA and the schools starting giving the playears a percentage of all the money being made. It should never happen.

The players aren't the reasons why college football gets the money it does. They are "paid" plenty already. There are other options besides college and there is a reason college football is the way most goes. Go ahead and pay for the coaching, weight room and all those other perks yourself to get ready for the NFL - even then without game experience since high school.

And that's before we talk about the money they get legitimately(like 20k a year unless they come from money).

Oh and of course, there's that whole getting an education thing for free. I think that might be worth a little something.

But it's the schools themselves that have 100+ years of building college football into the sport it is now. People are fans of teams, and the players they cheer for they do so because of the teams they play for. It's not the other way around.

No doubt good players have value in themselves and good teams tend to make better money, but the market decides what their value is, and if they were worth all these millions, there would be an alternative league taking these players and making that money. Yet it doesn't exist - because without the schools there is no where near the same interest.

The whole argument about players being paid is mostly from people who don't seem to understand what they actually get, and/or people who just want to kiss players asses.

Either way, it's a free market and they should be thankful for the opportunity they were given to start with. I'm sorry but I'm not going to get upset because they end up being treated like the other 99.9% of the population. It's no great tragedy and it's pretty much bullshit when people act like it is. Entitlement generation.

You mentioned how an academic scholarship can be taken away if they don't meet the requirements, but the two are completely different situations. Students grades will drop because they will get caught up in skipping class, drinking and college life. Football players don't have options -- they are required to be at the football workouts, practices, study halls, away trips etc. Some players are at their peak of their potential and it just isn't good enough for college football. Schools are gambling they can make them grow as players.

It isn't the players asking the school for a scholarship (as it is for academic) -- it is the school coming after the athletes.

Again, so they end up being treated like the other 99.9% of the population. It's not like we're cutting off their balls.

That said, as I've said many times before, I think ideally they remove the kids from the team and offer them an academic scholarship to finish their school. These kids are just going to transfer to another school mostly, but it's a good way to help the kids.

When you act like they are being done wrong, it's bullshit.