• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Miami fans not happy

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The notion that small schools can raise big bank is completely false. Here is a list of the six largest endowments for universities and they respective undergraduate enrollments.

HTML:
University             Endowment (in billions)    Enrollment
Harvard University     $32.334                      6722
Yale University        $20.780                      5430
University of Texas    $20.448                     39979 (Austin)
Stanford University    $18.668                      7061
Princeton University   $18.200                      5323
MIT                    $11.005                      2368
The University of Texas endowment refers to the entire system, but the enrollment is only for the Austin campus. Certainly, endowment isn't tied to success on the football field, but it is a measure of a school's ability to raise money. Draw your own conclusions. (One I draw is that Harvard is very rich.)

Harvard has the largest endowment because they've been around for almost 400 years and compound interest is quite powerful. Assuming a 5% rate of return, the interest on their endowment is larger than the endowment at my alma mater Georgia Tech.

But endowment =/= athletic budget or contributions to the athletic department.

The data from this chart is from 2008, but you can sort it based on $$$ from ticket sales, alumni donations, and total revenue.

College Athletics Revenues and Expenses - ESPN

You the teams in the top 25 for those categories tend to be the schools with 20k+ undergrads. You don't really see schools with <15k undergrads cracking anywhere near those lists. Which puts them at a huge financial disadvantage.

Miami's money from ticket sales and donations isn't listed, but when you sort by total revenue they are 53rd. The team that's #1 in revenue makes 2.5 times what they do. It's hard to compete.

I know this because Georgia Tech runs into some of the same issues. Smaller enrollment, smaller alumni base, smaller budgets.

taka85

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has become very hard for a University with fewer than 25k undergrads to compete for national championships...

meh... Auburn only has 20k undergrads and has been to the game twice in the last 4 seasons.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You the teams in the top 25 for those categories tend to be the schools with 20k+ undergrads. You don't really see schools with <15k undergrads cracking anywhere near those lists. Which puts them at a huge financial disadvantage.
My alma mater has far fewer than 15k undergrads and kicks ass at all of those lists. They don't show up because the data are missing. I still am very skeptical.

I do believe that having a large alumni base is an advantage when it comes to support for athletics as well as general fund raising. But I think the picture is far more complicated and would need more analysis to be convinced that undergraduate enrollment is the most important element in fielding a team that has a chance to play for a national championship.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last time a "small" university won the NC was in 2001. Only 3 times has a "small" university even played for the title. (Miami twice, Notre Dame once). Most of these big universities have been big for awhile now. They have a large number of alumni that can donate money to the program. It is very very hard for anyone with under 20k undergrads (and yes I said 25k earlier, I"m revising this) to compete financially.

Just FYI, ND has 8,500 undergrads.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just FYI, ND has 8,500 undergrads.

I know. My list was since the BCS era and I included ND in the "small" category.

Notre Dame is just one of those weird exceptions. You have fans from all around the country...many of whom have never even been to South Bend.

SwampHumpy

Touching my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not the problem. The problem started when Shalala wanted to clean up the program, hence the reason Thug U is now just the U. They can't recruit anymore dumbshit, illiterate, fast as fuck thugs from the 'Hood anymore. Totally killed the program.....

My favorite “U” story of all time was the documented case of one of their players scoring a 200 on the SAT. The score you get for placing your name on it and turning it in.

:heh: