• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Melo wants to test FA

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little early to be discussing this but he says he wants to test the market. This would mean opting out at the end of his contract and I have to assume he wants to go someplace that will get him closer to a ring.

Immediately the Lakers are screaming at me in the face. All of their salaries are coming off the books and if for some reason Kobe does not come back at a level he is willing to play at then he could retire as well. (He always said he doesn't want to hang around and average 17 or 18...he also said he didn't want to play at 35 though.)

After that it becomes who would actually want him. He is a max salary scorer who doesn't play D and can't move without the ball. IMO he is the world's best 6th man.

If he wants rings he will need to learn to play D and how to move with out the ball and utilize a PG. I could go down the long list of teams that can have money and are contenders* but in the end he will need to improve his game immensely if he wants to contend. I do think there is a list of teams that will take him to sell tickets**. I also think plenty of contenders will incorrectly take him in hopes he is not what we all know he is.

-Rockets, he could be the last piece, or the TO.
-Nets, same situation.
-Bulls, need a me first guy on O honestly, but once again he would have to play with a PG and then buy into D.
-OKC, huge longshot, they already have Westbrook and he plays D but OKC will not go over the cap for any reason. IMO it is really really hard to win a title with out 3.
-SA, hmmm could Pop get Melo to play D? Pop would find a way to make the O work.

Bucks
Atlanta
76ers, I think he would fit perfect with this city and team.
A few others.

Crotchrocker

Dominant Species
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A friend of mine just predicted he'll end up in Chicago or New Jersey. Word.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
waaaaay too early to speculate but have fun at it

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure a lot of those teams listed could afford Melo. He is already getting over $21 million this season. I think the max he could sign on another team is 4 years/$96 million. That's a big number in today's CBA climate. He'll be 30 years old next season. I would be hesitant to sign him to a max deal if I was running the Lakers. Certainly at a discount. La La could make up the difference living out here in Hollywood!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't want him. And besides didn't he say earlier that he's not going anywhere?

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not want him either, he would be a great player if he was willing to be plugged into a Chicago type team.

I put Nets on the list because a lot of their money comes off soon, it is a plug and play situation and the owner is willing to spend money.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little early to be discussing this but he says he wants to test the market. This would mean opting out at the end of his contract and I have to assume he wants to go someplace that will get him closer to a ring.

Immediately the Lakers are screaming at me in the face. All of their salaries are coming off the books and if for some reason Kobe does not come back at a level he is willing to play at then he could retire as well. (He always said he doesn't want to hang around and average 17 or 18...he also said he didn't want to play at 35 though.)

After that it becomes who would actually want him. He is a max salary scorer who doesn't play D and can't move without the ball. IMO he is the world's best 6th man.

If he wants rings he will need to learn to play D and how to move with out the ball and utilize a PG. I could go down the long list of teams that can have money and are contenders* but in the end he will need to improve his game immensely if he wants to contend. I do think there is a list of teams that will take him to sell tickets**. I also think plenty of contenders will incorrectly take him in hopes he is not what we all know he is.

-Rockets, he could be the last piece, or the TO.
-Nets, same situation.
-Bulls, need a me first guy on O honestly, but once again he would have to play with a PG and then buy into D.
-OKC, huge longshot, they already have Westbrook and he plays D but OKC will not go over the cap for any reason. IMO it is really really hard to win a title with out 3.
-SA, hmmm could Pop get Melo to play D? Pop would find a way to make the O work.

Bucks
Atlanta
76ers, I think he would fit perfect with this city and team.
A few others.

How about to Houston to be paired with Howard who plays D to back him up, but has no offensive game. They can send Linsanity back to NY with a bunch of other pieces in a sign and trade. The beard, Melo, and Howard could be built around.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NY won't play Lin $15m in that last year of his contract.

Those 3 can be built around but Melo has to learn to move without the ball.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure about the 76ers, because I think if they end up with the number one pick and get Andrew Wiggins, people will show up because of him alone

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NY won't play Lin $15m in that last year of his contract.

Those 3 can be built around but Melo has to learn to move without the ball.

When does Melo not have the ball? Only after he shoots.:whistle:

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't Melo good friends with Kobe? It might work if that's the case.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as many cats around here that boo-hoo about how much Kobe has the ball glued to his hands it'd only be worse if 'Melo shows up...

could you imagine all the trash talk THEN...?

Don't forget about Nick Young too if he opted in next season. They would be fighting over getting that in-bounds pass. Otherwise they might not see the ball :lol:

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I put Nets on the list because a lot of their money comes off soon, it is a plug
and play situation and the owner is willing to spend money.

Brooklyn is well over the cap next season. They couldn't sign him directly as a free agent.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its too early to speculate but he is going to jump ship to someone that can compete for a championship. If the Lakers get him then it means they are getting someone else, as well. There are a number of teams that make sense 'if' they want him because there are a number of good PGs in the league

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we had the chance to have him for a deal with a team opt out after like 3 yrs, I'd do it. The Lebron thing is next to impossible but playing with Melo would entice him a little bit at the least....but assuming he doesn't come(which is what's likely), I'll look at our options. Tanking this year was the right way to go, but they decided against it so that's out the window, but who knows we may still get a lottery pick with how deep the West is. The next option is Melo or Lebron in 2014, and after that the last option is to try to get Kevin Love and Rondo in 2015. Kevin Love is practically a shoe in imo....but as for Rondo, I'm not entirely sure that I'd be that interested, and I'm not really sure if HE'D be interested in the Lakers. My point is this...we gotta get that guy that can take over for Kobe at some point, and even if Melo was a 3 year stopgap, I'd take that at this point and re-access our position if we were to opt out of his contract

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't want him. And besides didn't he say earlier that he's not going anywhere?
He's going to want the 5 year max from the Knicks. They would be crazy to do so. He's going to get worse before he gets better. The Knicks would be better offering a 3 year deal. If they get the vibe that he won't sign for less than the max, then they should try to move him before the trade deadline to get at least something for him.

I feel that if someone else offers 5 years, he'd sign there.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see a sign and trade, or a simple trade ahead. he will want a ring, and money, and the Knicks will want future draft picks.

Which team is close to a ring, has draft picks and has cap space next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.