• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Melky takes himself out of the running for the batting title

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually to me it feels like they took the 'safe' choice, lower risk but lower potential reward. Remember it's not just the rustiness, or even just the clubhouse risk (both are real), how about the press? There's enough pressure without getting questions about how you feel about Melky being back every damn day.

This...

W/O Melky...

If they win, awesome.
If they lose, oh well, they overcame the distraction of Melk-Gate and made a nice run.

W/ Melky...

If they win, awesome.
If they lose, the FO will forever be questioned about the effect of the Melky-distraction in the clubhouse, and if using a rusty, PED-free MElky was really a good idea.

Game theory dictates that leaving him off is a no-brainer safe choice.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This...

W/O Melky...

If they win, awesome.
If they lose, oh well, they overcame the distraction of Melk-Gate and made a nice run.

W/ Melky...

If they win, awesome.
If they lose, the FO will forever be questioned about the effect of the Melky-distraction in the clubhouse, and if using a rusty, PED-free MElky was really a good idea.

Game theory dictates that leaving him off is a no-brainer safe choice.

It is how they lose that is going to dictate the risk, IMO.

If they win it all without him, then it will be another Cinderella story, parade happens, we all go home happy. If they lose, that's where it gets muddy for me.

If the bats don't show up in the playoff, having Melky around could mitigate that. If the bats show up, having Melky around is a nice insurance.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is how they lose that is going to dictate the risk, IMO.

If they win it all without him, then it will be another Cinderella story, parade happens, we all go home happy. If they lose, that's where it gets muddy for me.

If the bats don't show up in the playoff, having Melky around could mitigate that. If the bats show up, having Melky around is a nice insurance.

I dont know that I agree with this...

If the bats dont show up, we aint gettin' out of the first round. Melky would not have been available in the first round anyway...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
All I was referring to, is: what would the Giants really lose to add him assuming they got that far? Sure it's a small risk if they are bounced out in the first round, but what if they advance? I find it a little disingenuous of the front office to establish a precedence here with Melky rather than, say, with Mota.

But Mark Purdy notes it was a matter of how he handled himself with the team after the suspension. Really, that was it?

The Giants' brass took the path of least resistance here, and as a PR move, I get it... I would've liked it if they had resolved this later in the offseason. I'm more worried of the fact they're willing to lug good 'ol Aubrey Stuffed as a pinch hitter - and yet people don't even bat an eye at that horrible nightmare just sitting there waiting to happen! rofl...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I was referring to, is: what would the Giants really lose to add him assuming they got that far? Sure it's a small risk if they are bounced out in the first round, but what if they advance? I find it a little disingenuous of the front office to establish a precedence here with Melky rather than, say, with Mota.

But Mark Purdy notes it was a matter of how he handled himself with the team after the suspension. Really, that was it?

The Giants' brass took the path of least resistance here, and as a PR move, I get it... I would've liked it if they had resolved this later in the offseason. I'm more worried of the fact they're willing to lug good 'ol Aubrey Stuffed as a pinch hitter - and yet people don't even bat an eye at that horrible nightmare just sitting there waiting to happen! rofl...

It's not just PR...he'll be rusty, a distraction, and maybe unwelcome to some. Too much hair on it. This isn't a video game.

And the playoffs are so random anyway. If we get past the first round without him, do we need him? In potentially 6-7 games he'd have what, 25 ABs? If he gets 7 hits (.280) where Blanco/Nady would get 6 (.240), is it worth it?

The fact is if we win the WS again it will probably be partly due to some random thing happening, like Brooks Conrad/Cody Ross/Edgar Renteria. The gods are smiling on you or they ain't.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's not just PR...he'll be rusty, a distraction, and maybe unwelcome to some. Too much hair on it. This isn't a video game.

And the playoffs are so random anyway. If we get past the first round without him, do we need him? In potentially 6-7 games he'd have what, 25 ABs? If he gets 7 hits (.280) where Blanco/Nady would get 6 (.240), is it worth it?

The fact is if we win the WS again it will probably be partly due to some random thing happening, like Brooks Conrad/Cody Ross/Edgar Renteria. The gods are smiling on you or they ain't.

Are you a betting man, sir!? I'd definitely wager my miracle with Melky over Blanco or the X-man, wouldn't you? :rockon:

Last edited by a moderator:

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you a betting man, sir!? I'd definitely wager my miracle with Melky over Blanco or the X-man, wouldn't you? :rockon:

I wouldn't and neither would the Giants evidently. I'll go with the experts on this one :nod: