• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Melky takes himself out of the running for the batting title

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melky is a no go. Interesting decision, but one that I'm happy that they made. Let the guys deal with it now and get any frustrations out in the air before the real season starts.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Melky is a no go. Interesting decision, but one that I'm happy that they made. Let the guys deal with it now and get any frustrations out in the air before the real season starts.

I wonder how the latin guys feel about this decision? I think we know Cain and Posey were ready to move on without Melky, but it seems like Romo was hoping he'd be back. Was Romo speaking only for himself?

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how the latin guys feel about this decision? I think we know Cain and Posey were ready to move on without Melky, but it seems like Romo was hoping he'd be back. Was Romo speaking only for himself?

I'd hope that they'd understand given that Melky wouldn't have much time at all to get up to MLB game speed. What would have been really bad is if Mota happened to be Hensley and they allowed the white guy back, but not the Latino guy. They need to go with the players that have done so well in Melky's absence. Add in the final straw that Melky didn't alert all of his teammates and just essentially walked out and that breaks the camels back.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd hope that they'd understand given that Melky wouldn't have much time at all to get up to MLB game speed. What would have been really bad is if Mota happened to be Hensley and they allowed the white guy back, but not the Latino guy. They need to go with the players that have done so well in Melky's absence. Add in the final straw that Melky didn't alert all of his teammates and just essentially walked out and that breaks the camels back.

But no one has done well in LF since Melky left. And I'd take a rusty Melky over Blanco or Nady. But, yeah, the circumstances under which he left the team - on a personal basis - would be the determining factor for me, if I were in the clubhouse.

The only question I have is whether the story we've heard from the "insiders" reflect only a few player's opinion. Could be trouble for next year, if there's a divide over this. And really, when you get Bochy/Sabean making a unilateral decision without consulting the players - that's telling me the clubhouse is not united on how they feel about Melky. All the more reason to move on now, I guess, as it's easier to play without a buddy than it is to play with somebody who you think does not deserve to be there.

Bochy said the decision was made by management, including general manager Brian Sabean and president Larry Baer, and Bochy did not consult the players before making a final decision. He has not spoken with Cabrera.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But no one has done well in LF since Melky left. And I'd take a rusty Melky over Blanco or Nady. But, yeah, the circumstances under which he left the team - on a personal basis - would be the determining factor for me, if I were in the clubhouse.

That's a great point gp. You are correct, nobody has "taken" the job in LF. I was just more thinking along the lines of mentally keeping the troops moving in the same line they've been moving since Melky-gate. A rusty Melky would still provide good defense and most likely more offense than either Blanco or Nady. Your last sentence in the paragraph is exactly my line of thinking.

The only question I have is whether the story we've heard from the "insiders" reflect only a few player's opinion. Could be trouble for next year, if there's a divide over this. And really, when you get Bochy/Sabean making a unilateral decision without consulting the players - that's telling me the clubhouse is not united on how they feel about Melky. All the more reason to move on now, I guess, as it's easier to play without a buddy than it is to play with somebody who you think does not deserve to be there.

As a person who has both been managed and been a manager, I know the route I'd take, but it's jut not even close to an apples to apples comparison. If I were the manager, I'd definitely consult with my team because that's just the way I lead. I'd also definitely let them know that I believe in them and that I know we'd be fine without "his/her" services. That said, I've managed small, intimate teams. In a large corportation, I think sometimes it could be beneficial to just have a "faceless and nameless" big wig call the shot so that the employees can band together and say "f this, we'll do it on our own then". Bottom line is, I'm speaking from a position of extreme ignorance as I don't know the intracacies of the clubhouse, but for whatever it's worth, hopefully this is the right decision.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a great point gp. You are correct, nobody has "taken" the job in LF. I was just more thinking along the lines of mentally keeping the troops moving in the same line they've been moving since Melky-gate. A rusty Melky would still provide good defense and most likely more offense than either Blanco or Nady. Your last sentence in the paragraph is exactly my line of thinking.

Nady is hitting .303 in limited ABs... With no power and avg D.

Blanco Is hitting .271 in September also with no power but with great speed and D.

And looks like they're going to play Belt there when Sanchez catches.

I'll take any of that over Melky anyway - but just from a production standpoint I don't think a rusty unjuiced Melky would produce any better. So the conclusion to this doesn't bother me at all.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

As a person who has both been managed and been a manager, I know the route I'd take, but it's jut not even close to an apples to apples comparison. If I were the manager, I'd definitely consult with my team because that's just the way I lead. I'd also definitely let them know that I believe in them and that I know we'd be fine without "his/her" services. That said, I've managed small, intimate teams. In a large corportation, I think sometimes it could be beneficial to just have a "faceless and nameless" big wig call the shot so that the employees can band together and say "f this, we'll do it on our own then". Bottom line is, I'm speaking from a position of extreme ignorance as I don't know the intracacies of the clubhouse, but for whatever it's worth, hopefully this is the right decision.

Yeah, I don't think it's the wrong decision. It's the least risky decision, for sure. But, man, I don't want to see Nady/Blanco up with two outs in the 9th in game 7.

I'm more concerned, although honestly only mildly concerned, about any lingering effects spilling over into next year - and not with Melky himself, but with a possible division in the clubhouse. Just something to keep in mind as we head into 2013.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't think it's the wrong decision. It's the least risky decision, for sure. But, man, I don't want to see Nady/Blanco up with two outs in the 9th in game 7.

I'm more concerned, although honestly only mildly concerned, about any lingering effects spilling over into next year - and not with Melky himself, but with a possible division in the clubhouse. Just something to keep in mind as we head into 2013.

I would LOVE this situation. It would mean that the Giants playing in the bottom of the ninth inning of game 7 of the WS. I am OK with that.

Similar to people who said the Aaron Rowand era of the Giants was a disaster because they totally over-paid him. His era included a ring. I liked it just fine.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would LOVE this situation. It would mean that the Giants playing in the bottom of the ninth inning of game 7 of the WS. I am OK with that.

Similar to people who said the Aaron Rowand era of the Giants was a disaster because they totally over-paid him. His era included a ring. I liked it just fine.

Couldn't it also be the League Championship Game 7? Or do we win one round and skip right to the WS.....because I like the latter route better.....:heh:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't it also be the League Championship Game 7? Or do we win one round and skip right to the WS.....because I like the latter route better.....:heh:

No, it HAS to be the World Series :)

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

You'd agree, though, that if we got to that situation with those guys, we'd deserve to lose the series, right?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd agree, though, that if we got to that situation with those guys, we'd deserve to lose the series, right?

I would expect a pinch-hitter in this situation.

So, no, I do not believe we would deserve to lose.

If we were to go with a rusty, PED-free Melk, who is to say we would even make it that far?

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ihasafunny-funny-picture-what-i-saw-what-you-did-there.jpg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Regarding Melky, I think they made the "right" decision (and I mean by right only in the sense of a PR move - I would've liked to have seen his bat regardless), but I find this move risky; especially with the teams the Giants will be facing.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding Melky, I think they made the "right" decision (and I mean by right only in the sense of a PR move - I would've liked to have seen his bat regardless), but I find this move risky; especially with the teams the Giants will be facing.

Actually to me it feels like they took the 'safe' choice, lower risk but lower potential reward. Remember it's not just the rustiness, or even just the clubhouse risk (both are real), how about the press? There's enough pressure without getting questions about how you feel about Melky being back every damn day.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually to me it feels like they took the 'safe' choice, lower risk but lower potential reward. Remember it's not just the rustiness, or even just the clubhouse risk (both are real), how about the press? There's enough pressure without getting questions about how you feel about Melky being back every damn day.

This

It's the safest choice that could have been made. This way it is a management decision and it can not play directly into a clubhouse divide. If the clubhouse was truly split on the decision to bring Melky back then this makes it neutral to both sides. Also as MSG stated the team will not be getting asked "So how does it feel to have Melky back in the line up? Are you Ok with that decision?"