• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mcvay VS Gruden

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just not an apples to apples comparison for Cousins. First of all for 2015 & 2016 he threw for 4160/29 TDs & 4917/25 TDs respectively for 16 games. For 2017 he has 2474/14 thru 9 games. He could still come very close to duplicating those #s this season especially since they are done w/ the tough part of their schedule & will be playing some bad teams moving fwd. His #s could also increase since they might decide to just ditch the run game.

Also beyond the injuries there are other big factors. Yes the injuries meant that he had little protection at times, but it also has meant dramatically limited availability from one of his favorite targets - Reed. He also lost Jackson & Garcon & their replacements are nowhere close to date (& Crowder has had the injury bug). The Skins also had at least somewhat of a running game last season - they pretty much have none at this time except for those rare cases where Thompson rips off some big runs.

How well do you believe that the Rams would do if say they lost Gurley, Woods & others for long stretches & had constant injuries on O line (again - last I heard - Rams are the only NFL team that has started the same OL this season). Again - a lot more factors here than just coaching.
And to this I completely agree SoCal however, I wasn't going to get this granular because there are so many factors that play into overall production from the QB position. I still like McVay's play calling creativity better and Goff (in his limited time with McVay) has grown leaps and bounds to date. Last year he could do nothing right under Fisher & Co.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to this I completely agree SoCal however, I wasn't going to get this granular because there are so many factors that play into overall production from the QB position. I still like McVay's play calling creativity better and Goff (in his limited time with McVay) has grown leaps and bounds to date. Last year he could do nothing right under Fisher & Co.

True & again McVay is doing great - perhaps he also has evolved as a coach. It is never too late in that area. Maybe after this season & discussing this w/ others Gruden will be open to changing his philosophy somewhat especially if the Redskins have some semblance of a running game next season (& you would have to believe that improvement in that area will be a high priority in the offseason).

Samurai Night Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Respect the success McVay has had with the Rams, but wasn't there an issue last year with playcalling in the red zone? That drum was beat all year long, and if McVay was calling plays then it was on him and he never truly figured it out. Also makes me wonder if Gruden was taking a bullet for him about the fade routes, or if Gruden over rode him on those calls.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McVay has done very well with the Rams. The complaint last season was RZ play calling with McVay. I have come to the conclusion we didn’t like the RZ play-calling because we didn’t run the ball enough in the RZ. To further that thought, with the Rams, McVay does run the ball in the RZ. That leads to one possible conclusion, we didn’t run the ball in the RZ last season because McVay didn’t believe we had the ability to do so.

As for Gruden, I see the constant complaint on here is he gives up on the run game and doesn’t like to run the ball. Gruden has ran more this season than we did last season, and he ran the ball frequently in Cincinatti. One possible conclusion, we lack the players for the run game.

Samurai Night Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McVay has done very well with the Rams. The complaint last season was RZ play calling with McVay. I have come to the conclusion we didn’t like the RZ play-calling because we didn’t run the ball enough in the RZ. To further that thought, with the Rams, McVay does run the ball in the RZ. That leads to one possible conclusion, we didn’t run the ball in the RZ last season because McVay didn’t believe we had the ability to do so.

Agree that running makes the most sense. Of course our RG is not good this season, but even trying a few bootlegs or even naked bootlegs would be a way to mix it up.

As for Gruden, I see the constant complaint on here is he gives up on the run game and doesn’t like to run the ball. Gruden has ran more this season than we did last season, and he ran the ball frequently in Cincinatti. One possible conclusion, we lack the players for the run game.

Wasn't Perine brought in to address this concern? I'd like to see numbers on how often we've used him in the RZ, off hand I can't think of any to be honest.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree that running makes the most sense. Of course our RG is not good this season, but even trying a few bootlegs or even naked bootlegs would be a way to mix it up.

Wasn't Perine brought in to address this concern? I'd like to see numbers on how often we've used him in the RZ, off hand I can't think of any to be honest.

I think you mean LG. Very few teams, if any, have five great guys along the line.

Perine was brought in because he was value at that slot. I think Gruden lost trust in him with the fumbles.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is no doubt about it - at least to some degree. McVay has Gurley in LA - the Redskins don't have anyone close to that. Throw in the OL injuries, the Kelley injury & the fumbling issues for Perine & I can see the reluctance to run at this time. The one game where they knew they could run (Rams) they ran often & well.

I am sure that Gruden (like most NFL coaches) would love to run the ball often, but you need the rt personnel. I am much more concerned that they improve talent-wise in this area next offseason than I am about the play calling.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All McVay is doing is playing to the strength of his personnel like any good coach would do, what is the point of running the ball in the red zone when history and odds show you won't be successful. Sure you have to run to keep the defense honest, but the defense has odds in their favor with less area to have to cover.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple thoughts from a Rams fans perspective.

1) You all played us early - it was McVay/Rams 2nd game together and the defense really didn't find its stride until the 2nd half of the Cowboys game

2) Gruden imo did out-coach McVay -- he ran it down our throat and McVay was expecting more Cousins imo

3) I'm glad we have McVay, love his attitude but anything was an upgrade from Fisher and Wade Flips needs to get more credit as well. This team is still getting better

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1) You all played us early - it was McVay/Rams 2nd game together and the defense really didn't find its stride until the 2nd half of the Cowboys game

2) Gruden imo did out-coach McVay -- he ran it down our throat and McVay was expecting more Cousins imo

3) I'm glad we have McVay, love his attitude but anything was an upgrade from Fisher and Wade Flips needs to get more credit as well. This team is still getting better

Wade is the bomb.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

a couple more good drafts and you guys will be sitting pretty

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How many good QBs did Fisher coach up? Nothing against Sean I like him a lot. Gurley having a great season certainly hasn't hurt and the Ram defense is better than the Redskin defense. Last I saw it was Jay 1 and Sean 0.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many good QBs did Fisher coach up? Nothing against Sean I like him a lot. Gurley having a great season certainly hasn't hurt and the Ram defense is better than the Redskin defense. Last I saw it was Jay 1 and Sean 0.
Would you honestly want to play the Rams right now, even if healthy?

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was the second game of the season with a whole new coaching staff, growing pains. Yeah, I say the defense is a little better too.

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; URL=https://mobile.twitter.com/i/nojs_router?path=/">

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the second game of the season with a whole new coaching staff, growing pains. Yeah, I say the defense is a little better too.

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; URL=https://mobile.twitter.com/i/nojs_router?path=/">

You have to remember the Redskins are playing one of the toughest schedules so far. that has to factor into their stats. You guys have two big wins this year. At Dallas and at Jax. The rest of the wins are from below average teams. IF the Rams had to play the Redskins schedule they would not be 7-2 right now.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't say fantastic job. Yes this year the injuries are just way too much to handle. When you evaluate Gruden you have to bring up hiring Barry over Wade Phillps and not establishing a running game here. That is with two olineman drafted in the top 5 of the draft and a QB.

I also don't understand lack of talent on offense while he is here. Good names at skills positions plus and oline with top draft picks. I understand this year is a mess with injures. But he also has a "franchise" QB or he is getting paid like one to play with. A lot of coaches don't have this.

I think he is done an average job while he is here. I wouldn't say fantastic for his whole tenure here.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you honestly want to play the Rams right now, even if healthy?

We have been within one score of almost every game (not counting the late TO points) so yeah, I would not have a problem playing the Rams again if the team is healthy. If your premise is McVay is better than Gruden well only time will tell. I'd love to have their schedule. Against common opponents we are both 2-1 and we beat them. We hold the tie breaker having beat them.

Don't get me wrong ... especially since I have said this more than once. I like McVay. They weren't going to can Gruden for McVay though. I hope he does well, I will be rooting for him unless it is against us.