• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MBBRL 2016 SUICIDE DRAFT

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I would agree with every word of Treff's write ups for a standard league, but Suicide is much different. RBs and WRs are relatively less important here because they are much harder to predict. Everybody gets screwed here to some degree, but it is nearly impossible to recover from a first round bust in suicide. In a standard league free agent claims give you a chance to recover.

As long as Gronk and Cam stay healthy, my team will be competitive.
I'm looking for some clarification on this claim. .the league history bears a different story. It suggests elite level RB/WR's who don't get hurt, dominate, and in years where everyone got a bit of the injury bug, RB/WR depth won the day, elite TE's, D's haven't won the day. In fact, it also suggests, elite QB's don't win the day either. Only time a top 5 QB was on the winning team was '13, where Peyton was thought to be done and didn't command a top level pick.
WW in '13 - 4 RB's in top 20 including#1 Charles, WR's were pretty lame, Peyton Manning's resurrection . #9 D, #'s 50 & 28 TE's. Will won with RB's and the second coming.
Tlance in '14- you yourself ran away with the league (11-3) with a top 3 RB, 2 top 5 WR's, and another to 15 RB. sure you had the #4 D as well, and two top 10 QB's, but as we all have agreed at times, any thing past the top 2-3 QB's, is simply just in that 10-15 player pile. And Reed was the 29th TE. You won with dominating RB's and WR'S, and little to no injury bug
Barilko last year-was a battle of attrition. Other than Stafford at #9 QB, and Hopkins #6 WR, no one in the entire team was top 20. TE was 47th, D was 23rd.
Interesting side note, both of the past two season Joqiue Bell is in the starting lineup of the Champs..so apparently, he's really the key to winning this thing.

But, I guess I'm not following the logic of TB/WR depth/quality not being the cornerstone in a league where you can't make any moves. Seems only logical to me that the no transactions aspect only greatly emphasizes that depth/quality, and having a great D or TE is of little consequence. .at least that's what the results so far are certainly telling me.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea why the font got larger there in the middle, wasn't intentional

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coma bump, I'm still interested.
apologies if the discussion was started on its own thread already

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coma bump, I'm still interested.
apologies if the discussion was started on its own thread already

I imagine the discussion will be on another thread but not until the 'B' suicide is complete. . ....

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking for some clarification on this claim. .the league history bears a different story. It suggests elite level RB/WR's who don't get hurt, dominate, and in years where everyone got a bit of the injury bug, RB/WR depth won the day, elite TE's, D's haven't won the day. In fact, it also suggests, elite QB's don't win the day either. Only time a top 5 QB was on the winning team was '13, where Peyton was thought to be done and didn't command a top level pick.
WW in '13 - 4 RB's in top 20 including#1 Charles, WR's were pretty lame, Peyton Manning's resurrection . #9 D, #'s 50 & 28 TE's. Will won with RB's and the second coming.
Tlance in '14- you yourself ran away with the league (11-3) with a top 3 RB, 2 top 5 WR's, and another to 15 RB. sure you had the #4 D as well, and two top 10 QB's, but as we all have agreed at times, any thing past the top 2-3 QB's, is simply just in that 10-15 player pile. And Reed was the 29th TE. You won with dominating RB's and WR'S, and little to no injury bug
Barilko last year-was a battle of attrition. Other than Stafford at #9 QB, and Hopkins #6 WR, no one in the entire team was top 20. TE was 47th, D was 23rd.
Interesting side note, both of the past two season Joqiue Bell is in the starting lineup of the Champs..so apparently, he's really the key to winning this thing.

But, I guess I'm not following the logic of TB/WR depth/quality not being the cornerstone in a league where you can't make any moves. Seems only logical to me that the no transactions aspect only greatly emphasizes that depth/quality, and having a great D or TE is of little consequence. .at least that's what the results so far are certainly telling me.

I'm with ya Treff. Main reason being defenses are a fickle. Scheduling plays a big part in season, and looking at the past can be dangerous. Look at the Bills last year. Look at middle of the road teams... Vikes, Bengals, Steelers... there is no "advantage" at DST in May. The advantage is largely the opponent factor.

And at the end of the day, for 20 total points at the end of the season, I'll wait it out.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suicide DST - I want a team that was decent on D last year, that also plays in a division with either weaker offenses or just weak teams in general.

Chiefs/Broncos
Seahawks/Cards/Rams
Texans
Panthers

those teams seem to fit the bill in my book
(even though I didnt get 1 of them for my team!!)

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ah, you misunderstand my point. RB/WR depth is vitally important. Getting elite WR/RBs not as much. I always try to take the best avaiable player in the first 4 rounds of any draft, and honestly, I think that is the main reason I have been successful in MBBRL. If you are strong enough elsewhere, you don't need high end RBs/WRs.

Taking Gronk, Cam and SEA allowed me to focus on quality depth while others were nabbing 2 QBs, TEs and a DST. I agree that my backs and WRs are not as strong as most, BUT, I do have a significant edge at those spots over the entire field. I certainly took on some injury risk, but if my team is healthy it will be projected as a top scorer in the early season.

While I agree that getting a top RB would have been nice, that is not an option picking in the bottom 3rd. Last couple years in suicide I have had a top 6 pick. Had I not, you would have seen Gronk and a WR last year too.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with ya Treff. Main reason being defenses are a fickle. Scheduling plays a big part in season, and looking at the past can be dangerous. Look at the Bills last year. Look at middle of the road teams... Vikes, Bengals, Steelers... there is no "advantage" at DST in May. The advantage is largely the opponent factor.

And at the end of the day, for 20 total points at the end of the season, I'll wait it out.

Precisely why I want a top D I can rely on. Only 1 chance to get it right.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lastly, I think my team is an injury or two away from being truly awful, but IMO, no team has more weekly upside than mine.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't look at advantages at any position. Cam's ADP last year is a giant reminder why. Aaron Rodgers owners went into the season with a perceived advantage. Gronk is different, as in he's the consensus best option at TE, but how many weeks did he actually score the most at TE? And he certainly didn't finish first.

I guess my point is, there really is no strategy to be declared winner in suicide. It's about building a team that fits together... and with injury luck, we get a shot at the playoffs.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't look at advantages at any position. Cam's ADP last year is a giant reminder why. Aaron Rodgers owners went into the season with a perceived advantage. Gronk is different, as in he's the consensus best option at TE, but how many weeks did he actually score the most at TE? And he certainly didn't finish first.

I guess my point is, there really is no strategy to be declared winner in suicide. It's about building a team that fits together... and with injury luck, we get a shot at the playoffs.

I'll buy that for a dollar.................but it's still fun to look at everybody's team and give a little shit, especially when everybody here is willing to take some shit too and not get all BUTTHURTED about it............
Joe, don't read the spoiler................trust me.

We here in the MMBRL are able to handle our shit without crying. If we fuck up, most of the time we will own said fuckup, unless we (as the fuck-uppee) performed said fuckup on purpose where we will usually try to explain said fuckup with major amounts of bullshit until we (the fuck-upee) have pilled this bullshit so high that the owners (the fuck-upper and fuck-uppee) have totally forgotten about said fuck-up and move on as friends as always.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll buy that for a dollar.................but it's still fun to look at everybody's team and give a little shit, especially when everybody here is willing to take some shit too and not get all BUTTHURTED about it............
Joe, don't read the spoiler................trust me.

We here in the MMBRL are able to handle our shit without crying. If we fuck up, most of the time we will own said fuckup, unless we (as the fuck-uppee) performed said fuckup on purpose where we will usually try to explain said fuckup with major amounts of bullshit until we (the fuck-upee) have pilled this bullshit so high that the owners (the fuck-upper and fuck-uppee) have totally forgotten about said fuck-up and move on as friends as always.

Absolutely!

What I do love about the heavy WR drafting, is that my annual 5th round fuck up is greatly reduced, since all the RB's fall. No more Ryan Williams and Cedric Bensons for me!

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, you misunderstand my point. RB/WR depth is vitally important. Getting elite WR/RBs not as much. I always try to take the best avaiable player in the first 4 rounds of any draft, and honestly, I think that is the main reason I have been successful in MBBRL. If you are strong enough elsewhere, you don't need high end RBs/WRs.

Taking Gronk, Cam and SEA allowed me to focus on quality depth while others were nabbing 2 QBs, TEs and a DST. I agree that my backs and WRs are not as strong as most, BUT, I do have a significant edge at those spots over the entire field. I certainly took on some injury risk, but if my team is healthy it will be projected as a top scorer in the early season.

While I agree that getting a top RB would have been nice, that is not an option picking in the bottom 3rd. Last couple years in suicide I have had a top 6 pick. Had I not, you would have seen Gronk and a WR last year too.
Aww, okay. Well that makes a little more sense.

To be totally honest, I can see any one of eleven teams beating anyone on any given week, it's awfully close all around. But I had to make at least an attempt at some bold reviews. Couldn't just say, yeah we're all pretty good, we all have flaws, could be anyone's year. .there's no fun in that