• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matt Cullen wants to stay in Ottawa

Urkie

The MVP...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There was a good piece on Matt Cullen this morning in the Ottawa Sun where he basically says he loved his time in Ottawa and they are his first choice. It also sounds like he is the first UFA that Murray is trying to re-sign so I'd expect he'll get a new deal.

That does probably mean that Volchenkov's days are numbered as well as Sutton. Neither of those 2 guys will be back if Cullen is re-signed.

Senators top Cullen's list | Hockey | Sports | Ottawa Sun

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure if anyone posted this one from the end of April

Matt Cullen figures his wife would have no problem relocating to Canada from the family’s current home in North Carolina

“She wants our boys to play hockey so bad,” Cullen said Monday. “I have to hold her back. She likes the idea of having a rink in the backyard and she can bag skate those kids all day.”

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

Matt Cullen figures his wife would have no problem relocating to Canada from the family’s current home in North Carolina

“She wants our boys to play hockey so bad,” Cullen said Monday. “I have to hold her back. She likes the idea of having a rink in the backyard and she can bag skate those kids all day.”

$20 says the kids aren't good sleepers, and she just wants to tire them out.

Urkie

The MVP...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Well, that pretty much confirms it then. :)

Cullen is probably going to re-sign in Ottawa.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see Cullen back. He seems to have a lot of heart.

But if his coming back means Volchenkov doesn't, I will drive to Ottawa for camp and beat him mercilessly with Bryan Murray's arms...

Hey Matt, one of my neighbors has a rink in his back yard, C'bus has cap space and there's a house on the next street for sale. Think it over.

Urkie

The MVP...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd like to see Cullen back. He seems to have a lot of heart.

But if his coming back means Volchenkov doesn't, I will drive to Ottawa for camp and beat him mercilessly with Bryan Murray's arms...

Hey Matt, one of my neighbors has a rink in his back yard, C'bus has cap space and there's a house on the next street for sale. Think it over.

I think the Sens can live without Volchenkov forty.

But Murray better not be thinking he doesn't need to replace him because you do need to try. I've said it all along though...Murray is definitely planning for life after Anton.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Sens can live without Volchenkov forty.

Just ask yourself one question, Urk...

Which Sens goalie is going to respond best to facing 10 - 15 more shots a night?

Because between blocks, open ice hits and intimidation, that's what Vochenkov prevents a night. Who on the open market or in the system can make up even half that?

Urkie

The MVP...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just ask yourself one question, Urk...

Which Sens goalie is going to respond best to facing 10 - 15 more shots a night?

Because between blocks, open ice hits and intimidation, that's what Vochenkov prevents a night. Who on the open market or in the system can make up even half that?

I think Murray wants to make the defense more mobile and more of a puck moving back end.

With that being said I do think he wants to re-sign Volchenkov but not for 5 million or whatever. He's going to look at a guy like Dan Hamhuis or Zybnek Michalek or he might try to trade somebody for a defensemen.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Murray wants to make the defense more mobile and more of a puck moving back end.

With that being said I do think he wants to re-sign Volchenkov but not for 5 million or whatever. He's going to look at a guy like Dan Hamhuis or Zybnek Michalek or he might try to trade somebody for a defensemen.

Hamhuis is UFA also, right? Probably not going to get as much as AV, but will need ramp up time. How much of a spread between salaries is experience, comfort level and chemistry worth? If he signs Hammy for 4 and AV signs elsewhere for 5, I consider that a failure on a team with a history of chemistry issues.

Michalek might be good, but I don't see anyone worrying the whole plane ride to Ottawa about having to skate down his side.

And who's he gonna trade? NTCs abound and the only guys anyone wants are Foligno, Karlsson and Regin.

Urkie

The MVP...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hamhuis is UFA also, right? Probably not going to get as much as AV, but will need ramp up time. How much of a spread between salaries is experience, comfort level and chemistry worth? If he signs Hammy for 4 and AV signs elsewhere for 5, I consider that a failure on a team with a history of chemistry issues.

Michalek might be good, but I don't see anyone worrying the whole plane ride to Ottawa about having to skate down his side.

And who's he gonna trade? NTCs abound and the only guys anyone wants are Foligno, Karlsson and Regin.

Hamhuis is a UFA and so is Michalek but I just feel like both those guys can shut down guys and not be a black hole on offense like Volchenkov. You can defend other ways then just blocking a ton of shots. That's important yeah but I'd prefer that the team spent more time in the offensive zone then having to bear down and block a ton of shots.

Kelly is the guy that gets moved out if anybody. He had a career year last season and if Cullen is brought back that makes Kelly expendable.