• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matt Cassel signing...thoughts?

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^Fran's outdoor stats are far different than any indoor modern day QB's stats the Vikes have had.

With that said...

Let's get the "re-incarnation" of FranT in JFootball with our #8 pick.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe Vikes fans actually want Manziel, IMO he has HUGE bust written all over him. If they take him at 8 it will set the team back 5 years.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, they need a QB but it should not be with the 1st pick. There are decent QB's to be had in the 2nd or 3rd round, someone like Mettenberger in the 3rd would be great, he could sit and learn for a year and we wouldn't be throwing away another top pick on a QB.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh, Im not disputing the fact that Ponder as he is right now isnt an NFL caliber starter. Never said he was. I said he was better than Cassel last year. And he was. Cassel has been a "starting caliber" QB once in his career. And I credit the system more than him for it.

But keep in mind Ponder hasnt had any coaching since he got to the NFL really. Cassel was brought in to give him veteran experince and help him. He hasnt.

I want you to do something, well, 2 somethings really. Go here:Christian Ponder NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Then go here: Fran Tarkenton NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Look at the similarities between Ponders numbers and Frans for the first 3 years. Now try as I might, I can not find info on who the Vikings OC and QB coaches were back in the 60s. But SOMETHING happened between year 3 and 4 that kicked Tark in the ass. His interceptions dropped, his yard per attempt jumped, his QBR went from an average of low 70s to 91.8. The only real additions to the roster were Milt Sunde and Carl Eller. Now maybe a guard was what Tark needed. Maybe a guard is what Christian needs also.

Not saying that Ponder will be a HoF QB someday. But the parallels are scarey similar.

Interesting to note that in 1964, the Vikings only had 3 WRs on their roster...[/QUOTE

Those first few years were a bunch of rag/tag players thrown together. Fran and the rest had to grow as a team.
Ponder walked into to an experienced team with a super star at running back and some very good players, on both sides of the ball.
Cassel and Ponder won't get this team to the playoffs. So no, I don't think it was a good signing and we will need to draft a qb. I want Johnny football. Can't do any worse than what we have now. The way the team throws around money on qb's [ Freeman]. Might as well see what the kid can do. jmo

Go Vikes!!!

Freeman for 3 mill was nothing. Way below market for a backup QB. That wasnt tossing money away really.

This team made the playoffs 2 years ago with Ponder with a 10-6 record. Should have been 11-5 and a division title but the refs cheated us on that JA fumble recovery and called roughing the passer. VP of officials even remarked that it wasnt roughing.

LAST year, the Vikes were 5 minutes from a 10-5-1 record and a division crown with Ponder/Cassel. Defensive play calling lost those games. Remember Nov 6th when B Rob and K Will came out and said the defensive play calling SUCKED? The Vikings D was giving up an average of 32 points a game before that. AFTER that they gave up an average of 21 points a game.

This team had the talent to make the playoffs last year, dont kid yourself. I would be shocked if they dont make it this year frankly.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
Oh, Im not disputing the fact that Ponder as he is right now isnt an NFL caliber starter. Never said he was. I said he was better than Cassel last year. And he was. Cassel has been a "starting caliber" QB once in his career. And I credit the system more than him for it.

But keep in mind Ponder hasnt had any coaching since he got to the NFL really. Cassel was brought in to give him veteran experince and help him. He hasnt.

I want you to do something, well, 2 somethings really. Go here:Christian Ponder NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Then go here: Fran Tarkenton NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Look at the similarities between Ponders numbers and Frans for the first 3 years. Now try as I might, I can not find info on who the Vikings OC and QB coaches were back in the 60s. But SOMETHING happened between year 3 and 4 that kicked Tark in the ass. His interceptions dropped, his yard per attempt jumped, his QBR went from an average of low 70s to 91.8. The only real additions to the roster were Milt Sunde and Carl Eller. Now maybe a guard was what Tark needed. Maybe a guard is what Christian needs also.

Not saying that Ponder will be a HoF QB someday. But the parallels are scarey similar.

Interesting to note that in 1964, the Vikings only had 3 WRs on their roster...[/QUOTE

Those first few years were a bunch of rag/tag players thrown together. Fran and the rest had to grow as a team.
Ponder walked into to an experienced team with a super star at running back and some very good players, on both sides of the ball.
Cassel and Ponder won't get this team to the playoffs. So no, I don't think it was a good signing and we will need to draft a qb. I want Johnny football. Can't do any worse than what we have now. The way the team throws around money on qb's [ Freeman]. Might as well see what the kid can do. jmo

Go Vikes!!!

Both can get them there. They might even win a first round game with Cassel.
The qb they pick will sit for at least one season, no matter who it is. imo
And that's the way it should be.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
Freeman for 3 mill was nothing. Way below market for a backup QB. That wasnt tossing money away really.

This team made the playoffs 2 years ago with Ponder with a 10-6 record. Should have been 11-5 and a division title but the refs cheated us on that JA fumble recovery and called roughing the passer. VP of officials even remarked that it wasnt roughing.

LAST year, the Vikes were 5 minutes from a 10-5-1 record and a division crown with Ponder/Cassel. Defensive play calling lost those games. Remember Nov 6th when B Rob and K Will came out and said the defensive play calling SUCKED? The Vikings D was giving up an average of 32 points a game before that. AFTER that they gave up an average of 21 points a game.

This team had the talent to make the playoffs last year, dont kid yourself. I would be shocked if they dont make it this year frankly.

That was very much worth the risk..The upside could have been huge.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cassel showed towards the end what he could do especially in a division that plays little defense. Patterson helped, when he started getting the looks the vikes looked better. Cassel actually in KC improved with Haley. He played well in 2010 with JC and Bowe as his weapons. He still looked okay after JC's injury but eventually got hurt and Haley got fired a few weeks later. Then whoever was calling plays in KC afterwards missed the mark bad with him. Like 2010, he once again has pieces to help the vikings contend.