• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matt Cassel signing...thoughts?

RAZORBACKG

Hoopla Cash
$ 735.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMHO I think the two year contract that Matt Cassel just signed is huge for the Vikings! This gives us a steady QB who is not afraid to throw it downfield and a good mentor for a young QB for the Vikings to bring in. I still do not understand the need to keep Ponder on the roster? If the Vikings are not going to be able to draft one of the top three QB's then we could take Carr in the second round. That would not be a bad pick up and he could sit behind Cassel and learn. What are your thoughts?

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hate to disagree but.........but he's immobile, stares his receivers down, and doesn't handle pressure in the pocket well.

10 million for 2 years? this guy lives a charmed life. lol

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
He handled himself pretty good in the pocket last season, and he was the qb that went through his 2nd and 3rd reads. Actually, Ponder was the only qb that stared down his receivers.

RAZORBACKG

Hoopla Cash
$ 735.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He handled himself pretty good in the pocket last season, and he was the qb that went through his 2nd and 3rd reads. Actually, Ponder was the only qb that stared down his r
eceivers.

I have to agree with you John Randle, Ponder never seemed to get off his first receiver. It drove me totally insane to see guys open and not even get a look.

Don't get me wrong. Cassel is not a Pro Bowler but I think he is far better than Ponder.

While we are talking QB's....What was the deal on Freeman? I live in Arkansas so not much news about him down here? Thanks everyone and Go Vikings!

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
I haven't heard anything about Freeman. But I'm assuming with Cassel being signed, and Ponder sticking around for another season, they will just let him walk. They'll use the 3rd qb spot for the draft pick this season.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awful signing. Cassel sucks and the only thing to learn from him is what not to do. $5 mil a year to be bad? Wonderful.

That's minnesota management for you. At least the wild are trying to go for it.

ladyrockess

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm happy to let Freeman go. Never liked him.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
Awful signing. Cassel sucks and the only thing to learn from him is what not to do. $5 mil a year to be bad? Wonderful.

Who would you have preferred?

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would you have preferred?

Whatever we get in the draft. Better to let the young guy work and develop.

Or heck even the AP idea of Vick. At least keep your star player happy and get someone with talent even if he will break a bone by week 4.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
M Cassel over an ineffective injury prone Vick anyday in my OP.

Let's draft a QB, maybe even next year, think that group will be better than this years group of guys.

3 top flight QBs coming out of the Pac12 alone next year.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure i'd call getting Moulson and Bryzgalov going for it but I wouldn't mind if they tried to keep Moulson after this season.

The Vikes simply didn't have much choice, they couldn't let Cassel get away and hope Vick signed with us, I like the signing, not a big fan of Cassel but I am a fan of Ponder never starting another game for the Vikes, now I hope they draft Mettenberger in the 3rd and let him sit and learn for a year.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the Cassell signing, but only if we draft one of the top QB's in the draft.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Statistical facts:

Ponders completion percentage was better than Cassels last year.
Ponders 3rd down conversion ration was better than Cassels.
Ponders time of Possession was better than Cassels.
Ponder had more 30+ yard pass plays than Cassel.
Ponder had the longest (in the air) completion last year.
The Vikes scored 7 more points per game with Ponder in there than with Cassel.

There are many many more stats I could put up there that shows that all in all Ponder is the better QB. Yes Cassel had more TD passes (Ponder ran 4 in though dont forget).

Zimmer has already said point blank that Ponder would be the starter if he is the better QB. Turner will look them over and decide.

The DEFENSE lost us at least 5 games last year, mainly because of coaching decisions. Remember November 6th when Robi and K Will came out to the media and said in effect Williams (DC) playcalling SUCKED? Thats why we started winning games. Because the playcalling got better, they started playing Rhodes and CPat and other coaching changes, not because Cassel was better than Ponder...

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
Whatever we get in the draft. Better to let the young guy work and develop.

Or heck even the AP idea of Vick. At least keep your star player happy and get someone with talent even if he will break a bone by week 4.

It's way better to let the new draft pick sit for a couple seasons and develop. Especially since they'll most likely be picking a second tier guy, that will not be NFL ready right out of the gate.

The Vick thing might have been ok if he had a history of finishing seasons, but he doesn't so, no thanks.

Cassel was the best free agent qb available, they needed him to stick around.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
Statistical facts:

There are many many more stats I could put up there that shows that all in all Ponder is the better QB. Yes Cassel had more TD passes (Ponder ran 4 in though dont forget).

Zimmer has already said point blank that Ponder would be the starter if he is the better QB. Turner will look them over and decide.

The DEFENSE lost us at least 5 games last year, mainly because of coaching decisions. Remember November 6th when Robi and K Will came out to the media and said in effect Williams (DC) playcalling SUCKED? Thats why we started winning games. Because the playcalling got better, they started playing Rhodes and CPat and other coaching changes, not because Cassel was better than Ponder...

LOL...That's all I got on that subject Met.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Statistical facts:

Cherry pick much?

Cassel had a better winning %
Cassel had more yards per game
Cassel had a better TD per pass attempt
Cassel had a higher yards gained per pass attempt
Cassel had more passing yards even though he started 3 less games
Cassel fumbled 3 times Ponder fumbled 7 times
Cassel was sacked 16 times Ponder was sacked 27 times
Cassel was intercepted on 3.5% of his passes Ponder was intercepted on 3.8% of his passes
Cassel had 2 game winning drives Ponder had 0 game winning drives
Cassel had a QB rating of 81.6 Ponder had a QB rating of 77.9

Longest in the air completion? Really? :laugh3:

Explain again how Ponder is better...

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure i'd call getting Moulson and Bryzgalov going for it but I wouldn't mind if they tried to keep Moulson after this season.

The Vikes simply didn't have much choice, they couldn't let Cassel get away and hope Vick signed with us, I like the signing, not a big fan of Cassel but I am a fan of Ponder never starting another game for the Vikes, now I hope they draft Mettenberger in the 3rd and let him sit and learn for a year.

Moulson was actually a fantastic addition. Loved that trade. But I was alluding to the fact we spent on Parise and Suter. Traded for and extended Pominville. Will by all accounts make a big run at Vanek and maybe Miller. The whole body of work is fantastic. Still need it to turn into something but its rare a Minny team gets after it.

I do agree about Ponder never starting another game. I guess anyway that becomes reality is a positive.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moulson was actually a fantastic addition. Loved that trade. But I was alluding to the fact we spent on Parise and Suter. Traded for and extended Pominville. Will by all accounts make a big run at Vanek and maybe Miller. The whole body of work is fantastic. Still need it to turn into something but its rare a Minny team gets after it.

I do agree about Ponder never starting another game. I guess anyway that becomes reality is a positive.

Holy Hannah Vanek would look good in a Wild uni!!!

I like Moulson I just hope he isn't a rental. He's only 30 and would provide us some much needed offensive production.

RAZORBACKG

Hoopla Cash
$ 735.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Statistical facts:

And for all of those Ponder positives how long has he been with the Vikings (and had practice with the offense) compared to Cassel?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Exactly the same amount as Cassel under Turner...

But, since you asked. His first year was a locked out year. Meaning he had NO offseason work with the coaches at all his rookie year. No big deal, we had McNuggetts, so Ponder could sit and learn...

OOOops.. Mister "I didnt even know a football game could end in a tie" isnt worth a crap (which wasnt much of a surprise to most of us) and they toss Ponder in there and he does ok (for a rookie that was supposed to just sit and learn and only had 7 weeks on the job training).

His first FULL year with the coaches, he goes 10-6 and gets us into the playoffs. Joe Webb takes us out of the playoffs...

LAST year, if not for the defensive play calling and the fact the coaches made the great decisions they made all year (like not starting Rhodes, not starting CPat, ect), the Vikings would have been 10-5-1 at the VERY least and you wouldnt be making that stupid comment...

K?