• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matheny

jwolt92

The voice of fuckin reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IS GONE

WOOOOO

So is Mabry who apparently was good enough of a hitter (.263 career average) to be a hitting coach.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shocked it happened now even if it was the right move.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Girardi is probably on the radar, right?

As for Matheny, I'd bet he's a manager again by at least 2020.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cards fire their coach with a winning record, but the Braves have the biggest dunce of a manager in the Majors and they're just gonna roll with him because the players love him and he's been with the team for over 40 years all while a dude that managed the Rangers to back to back World Series is stuck coaching third base, and I don't care if he has a bit of a cocaine habit.

We're not a playoff team regardless, but we'd be better off with a competent manager.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cards fire their coach with a winning record, but the Braves have the biggest dunce of a manager in the Majors and they're just gonna roll with him because the players love him and he's been with the team for over 40 years all while a dude that managed the Rangers to back to back World Series is stuck coaching third base, and I don't care if he has a bit of a cocaine habit.

We're not a playoff team regardless, but we'd be better off with a competent manager.
Matheny to the Braves confirmed

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He had a winning record despite his shortcomings. He's incompetent as a manager. Had no control over the clubhouse and was absolutely atrocious when it came to bullpen management

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a winning record despite his shortcomings. He's incompetent as a manager. Had no control over the clubhouse and was absolutely atrocious when it came to bullpen management

Sums up Snit perfectly except the clubhouse part. Apparently the players love him so much that Nick Markakis was ready to kick John Hart's ass last year when he yelled at Snit for using Jim Johnson as a closer despite him being a mopup duty at best reliever last year.

But he managed the AAA team for years and he manages the big club like it's still AAA. His decision making has directly cost us numerous games this year. Worst bullpen management I have ever seen, and he'll sit there and watch a player arguing with the homeplate umpire who has his mask off and not even leave the dugout. Drives me crazy.

While I'm ranting, I'm not crazy about Alex Anthopoulos either. Only thing I hated about John Coppolella is that he got caught.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tumblr_nxvqfniswj1ukyi98o1_400.gif

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sums up Snit perfectly except the clubhouse part. Apparently the players love him so much that Nick Markakis was ready to kick John Hart's ass last year when he yelled at Snit for using Jim Johnson as a closer despite him being a mopup duty at best reliever last year.

But he managed the AAA team for years and he manages the big club like it's still AAA. His decision making has directly cost us numerous games this year. Worst bullpen management I have ever seen, and he'll sit there and watch a player arguing with the homeplate umpire who has his mask off and not even leave the dugout. Drives me crazy.

While I'm ranting, I'm not crazy about Alex Anthopoulos either. Only thing I hated about John Coppolella is that he got caught.

I like you Chewy, but you have not watched the Cards. The bullpen management has been bar none the worst in the majors since Matheny took over. He falls in love with one or two guys (see Matt Bowman) and uses them over and over and over and over again until their arm falls off (see Matt Bowman) or until they get their tits lit up (see Matt Bowman)

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matheny to the Braves confirmed

Much like when Georgia decided to fire Mark Richt, I'm willing to take the gamble on pretty much anyone at this point just to see something different. Nobody needs to see Sam Freeman come out of the bullpen in a 1-1 game when the starter is dealing and only has 84 pitches in the 7th inning.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like you Chewy, but you have not watched the Cards. The bullpen management has been bar none the worst in the majors since Matheny took over. He falls in love with one or two guys (see Matt Bowman) and uses them over and over and over and over again until their arm falls off (see Matt Bowman) or until they get their tits lit up (see Matt Bowman)

Snit is the other extreme. He's overly cautious. Heaven forbid a closer is needed in back to back games. My biggest issue with Snit is that we have one of the worst pens in the Majors, and he still has a quick hook with even veteran starters even though every inning we can get out of the starters greatly increases our chances of winning. I don't need to see Sam Freeman come out to pitch the 7th of a 1-1 game when Anibal Sanchez is dealing with only 84 pitches.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This wasn't hard to see coming.

This season is still a mess

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't evaluate Matheny other than on his overall record but the team I am watching this weekend is really not very good. The infield is slow, there's no thump in the lineup and the bullpen is a disaster. If that's on the manager, it would be the first time in awhile.

This is a team that didn't get better and that surprises me.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't evaluate Matheny other than on his overall record but the team I am watching this weekend is really not very good. The infield is slow, there's no thump in the lineup and the bullpen is a disaster. If that's on the manager, it would be the first time in awhile.

This is a team that didn't get better and that surprises me.
There's a long history here. Even if he makes it somewhere else his time was up in stl for a lot of reasons.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a long history here. Even if he makes it somewhere else his time was up in stl for a lot of reasons.
I won't say whether he is a good or bad manager. He might not get another job managing. He will stay in baseball. They all do.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't say whether he is a good or bad manager. He might not get another job managing. He will stay in baseball. They all do.
I'll say it: he was a bad manager. When he was making the playoffs, they (fivethirtyeight) actually said that a coin flip or a monkey could've done pitching substitutions better than Matheny and he was the only person in baseball you could say that about.

He lost the locker room last year. The Cardinals treatment of Matt Adams was a joke.

This year is on the GM more than anything but when adversity hits is when you start seeing what your coach is worth and there is enough smoke about the Cards locker room to suspect that there might be a fire.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 GB from a wildcard spot. There's still hope with 69 games left. Hopefully, a change does some good.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IS GONE

WOOOOO

So is Mabry who apparently was good enough of a hitter (.263 career average) to be a hitting coach.

Well they don't exactly require the same skill set. Plenty of good hitters have been bad coaches and vice versa.

That being said I have no idea what kind of job Mabry did there so I am certainly not defending him.