• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marlins for sale

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But how it this any better than Tampa Bay just moving to Montreal or wherever?

This was under the assumption (BF's) that the Marlins would be leaving Miami.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotcha. I like the Rays a lot myself. Personally I'd rather see them stay in Florida, keep the Rays name and have the Marlins move off somewhere and change their name if necessary. "Marlins" doesn't seem like a great name for most places other than Florida, haha.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would guess that any sale of the Marlins (or any franchise) needs to include something more than "maybe he will move the team." MLB tends to be a bit wary of this sort of bargaining.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotcha. I like the Rays a lot myself. Personally I'd rather see them stay in Florida, keep the Rays name and have the Marlins move off somewhere and change their name if necessary. "Marlins" doesn't seem like a great name for most places other than Florida, haha.

Ever since the Cleveland people made a stink of the Baltimore team stealing "Browns" and fighting to keep the right to it, I think teams are mostly sort of required to leave their name behind. I know ... I know ... nothing says "Jazz" like Salt Lake City, right?

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pure assumption on my part, and most likely wrong

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pure assumption on my part, and most likely wrong

Oh yeah, I was just saying if they did leave, the Rays moving right in there would really solve that problem.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is the unnamed real estate buyer is Charles kushner . And the new mlb advanced.media deal.is a.major contributor to driving the price up.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loria was a bad owner for sure. Hopefully the new owner will be better and get more fans to attend the games of a pretty good young ball club.

Erie Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,827.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever since the Cleveland people made a stink of the Baltimore team stealing "Browns" and fighting to keep the right to it, I think teams are mostly sort of required to leave their name behind. I know ... I know ... nothing says "Jazz" like Salt Lake City, right?

I can't think of a single team, other than the Browns, that left the name and franchise history behind.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't think of a single team, other than the Browns, that left the name and franchise history behind.
Did the hornet's get the team history when they got rid of being bobcats? And I think Seattle kept the rights to the sonics. But yeah it's not a law they have to.

Erie Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,827.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did the hornet's get the team history when they got rid of being bobcats? And I think Seattle kept the rights to the sonics. But yeah it's not a law they have to.

Not sure. Honestly, I don't follow the NBA much.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a die-hard Marlins' fan, this excites me greatly.

I wonder if Jose Fernandez's death was the factor that pushed this over the top. I just don't see Miami coming back from this anytime soon. It was one of the saddest days for me in recent memory; I was numb the whole week.

I was at his 2nd to last start (in Atlanta), which was his last away start.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a die-hard Marlins' fan, this excites me greatly.

I wonder if Jose Fernandez's death was the factor that pushed this over the top. I just don't see Miami coming back from this anytime soon. It was one of the saddest days for me in recent memory; I was numb the whole week.

I was at his 2nd to last start (in Atlanta), which was his last away start.

Trading Naylor and Capps for Cashner was flat out retarded.

I just don't get that.

It was almost shelby Miller bad.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading Naylor and Capps for Cashner was flat out retarded.

I just don't get that.

It was almost shelby Miller bad.

We were only 2-3 games from last WC spot at the time. I think doing it with only 5 weeks left in the season was retarded. We did get Colin Rea, though, but had to send him back.

Erie Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,827.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest Tigers fan on the Hoop seems convinced that Illitch's son will sell the Tigers, now that he is dead. So this brings up an interesting question. Does Marlins sale go through, if the Tigers hit the market?

Loria only has a "handshake" deal. Personally, if I was going to dump $1.6 billion on an MLB team I'd sure as hell rather have the Tigers than the Marlins. Decent stadium, decent team, lots of history and fans actually show up to games.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were only 2-3 games from last WC spot at the time. I think doing it with only 5 weeks left in the season was retarded. We did get Colin Rea, though, but had to send him back.

It's not even like Cashner was any good at the time they traded for him. He's been pretty bad since the start of 2015, and somehow the Marlins thought this was the guy to bolster the rotation...

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest Tigers fan on the Hoop seems convinced that Illitch's son will sell the Tigers, now that he is dead. So this brings up an interesting question. Does Marlins sale go through, if the Tigers hit the market?

Loria only has a "handshake" deal. Personally, if I was going to dump $1.6 billion on an MLB team I'd sure as hell rather have the Tigers than the Marlins. Decent stadium, decent team, lots of history and fans actually show up to games.

I am going to say that probably isn't going to happen. I have met the entire Illitch family (causally they probably don't even know my name) and they appear to be committed to the "Comeback of Detroit". If they do intend to sell, I am certain that Dan Gilbert (Owner of the Cavaliers and the other half of Detroit) would pounce on it quickly.

As far as the Marlins (with good marketing), they could be poised to be a power house team. Miami is a great area for baseball.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not even like Cashner was any good at the time they traded for him. He's been pretty bad since the start of 2015, and somehow the Marlins thought this was the guy to bolster the rotation...

The Marlins can hit, though. I think they thought he'd be good enough.

Capps had injury issues and Naylor is blocked at 1B for the foreseeable future.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Marlins can hit, though. I think they thought he'd be good enough.

Capps had injury issues and Naylor is blocked at 1B for the foreseeable future.

Bour is not a guy you deal away you best prospect for just casue he's "blocked."

hell they were looking for a platoon guy for him for most of the winter.

After looking at what RPs went for at the TD, Miami is gonna regret not letting Capps recover and selling like a banshee this summer. His metrics are out of this world.

I hope SD keeps up their strong relationship with DD and deals him to Boston.