• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mark Rypien on Attempting Suicide

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22968747/mark-rypien-former-super-bowl-mvp-washington-redskins-says-attempted-suicide

Says he washed 150 Advil pills down with Merlot. His wife found him and poured hydrogen peroxide and charcoal into his mouth. Which induced him to vomit up enough to save his life.

He's blaming concussions on this and I am sure that he's suffered from CTE.

However...

He goes onto say that his brother DID commit suicide. Which should probably make you step back to consider - there's a solid chance of a genetic element involving neurosis/depression/anxiety in play. No? He also says his trips to whore houses, substance abuse, irresponsible financial decisions... etc... came as a result of CTE.

He also blames a handful of other suicides over the past year on concussions. Including the Hillinski suicide... which I get he played football. However, he was a 20 year old backup QB in college. Not exactly a huge span of sub-concussive or concussive blows. I realize this CAN happen earlier than most think - but doesn't it seem irresponsible/convenient for his cause? (Lead plaintiff in concussion lawsuit against NFL... active in raising awareness on concussions) Did he know much of anything about Hinllinski's history? The other one he cites is some random high school principal. Tony Schueller. I couldn't even find a link between this dude and concussions/football.

All of this stuff is tragic. Zero way around it. NFL needs to keep working to ensure player safety... etc... I don't want to be a cold douchebag. However, at a point I become skeptical that these guys are really using concussions to throw a convenient blanket on top of a lot of shit. Which is a disservice to the cause - and in finding/dealing with the root issue behind THOSE individual problems in a person's life.

"You're a fucking piece of shit Richie"... I know. I know.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I hope he get's the help he needs... sucks to hear he attempted suicide...

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking snowflake.

Suck it up and be a man, Nancy.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a self absorbed pussy.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I hope he get's the help he needs... sucks to hear he attempted suicide...

I also read a little further into him and found out he lost his 3 year old son to brain cancer. He's had a lot of shit go down.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also read a little further into him and found out he lost his 3 year old son to brain cancer. He's had a lot of shit go down.

Yeah I heard about that, totally sucks, I don't think there is any pain greater than losing a child... I can't even imagine...

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22968747/mark-rypien-former-super-bowl-mvp-washington-redskins-says-attempted-suicide

Says he washed 150 Advil pills down with Merlot. His wife found him and poured hydrogen peroxide and charcoal into his mouth. Which induced him to vomit up enough to save his life.

He's blaming concussions on this and I am sure that he's suffered from CTE.

However...

He goes onto say that his brother DID commit suicide. Which should probably make you step back to consider - there's a solid chance of a genetic element involving neurosis/depression/anxiety in play. No? He also says his trips to whore houses, substance abuse, irresponsible financial decisions... etc... came as a result of CTE.

He also blames a handful of other suicides over the past year on concussions. Including the Hillinski suicide... which I get he played football. However, he was a 20 year old backup QB in college. Not exactly a huge span of sub-concussive or concussive blows. I realize this CAN happen earlier than most think - but doesn't it seem irresponsible/convenient for his cause? (Lead plaintiff in concussion lawsuit against NFL... active in raising awareness on concussions) Did he know much of anything about Hinllinski's history? The other one he cites is some random high school principal. Tony Schueller. I couldn't even find a link between this dude and concussions/football.

All of this stuff is tragic. Zero way around it. NFL needs to keep working to ensure player safety... etc... I don't want to be a cold douchebag. However, at a point I become skeptical that these guys are really using concussions to throw a convenient blanket on top of a lot of shit. Which is a disservice to the cause - and in finding/dealing with the root issue behind THOSE individual problems in a person's life.

"You're a fucking piece of shit Richie"... I know. I know.
I think you are posing a question anyone of us has asked ourselves. You cannot help but wonder if mental illness is in his family history and second, are some using the "concussion" excuse?

That being said Rypien always seemed like a standup guy so hoping he is ok

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really calling someone a pussy or snowflake for mental illness? and possibly ending their life?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As someone who has actually had more than my share of suicide attempts when I was younger...

This thread is yikes.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the odds an American male who didn't play football at any level commits suicide?

What are the odds a man who did play football commits suicide?

Same age brackets. Which is higher?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rypien never said he wouldn't go back and play football, even after the suicide attempts he promoted his daughter into playing football and his nephew. The problem with CTE is it has become an excuse when studies on it are in it's infancy. Hilinski's suicide (IMO) had nothing to do with concussions or CTE as his case is the exact opposite of other CTE related suicides/early deaths.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I heard about that, totally sucks, I don't think there is any pain greater than losing a child... I can't even imagine...

14 years ago this past March 4th. Will never go away, though it has subsided some.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L Ah man sorry to hear that... How old was your child ?

He died before birth. She was to be induced on a Friday, but we had an ice storm, so they said we'll wait until Monday. He passed on that Sunday. They were trying to time the birth at 7.5 - 8 lbs, and unfortunately they guessed wrong, and he was 10+. Cause of death was lack of room, to long in the womb.

(The weight guessing was because she was/is diabetic, and the medication can cause the child to grow rapidly towards the end, so they want to time it as best they can, instead of going by the normal amount of weeks.)

Had we not had the ice storm, he would have been fine. I don't fault the Drs for guessing the weight wrong, they were doing their best, and their decision about the weather, and unsafe driving, was the right one.

And thank you.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He died before birth. She was to be induced on a Friday, but we had an ice storm, so they said we'll wait until Monday. He passed on that Sunday. They were trying to time the birth at 7.5 - 8 lbs, and unfortunately they guessed wrong, and he was 10+. Cause of death was lack of room, to long in the womb.

(The weight guessing was because she was/is diabetic, and the medication can cause the child to grow rapidly towards the end, so they want to time it as best they can, instead of going by the normal amount of weeks.)

Had we not had the ice storm, he would have been fine. I don't fault the Drs for guessing the weight wrong, they were doing their best, and their decision about the weather, and unsafe driving, was the right one.

And thank you.

You're welcome brotha... really sorry that happened, thanks for sharing your story..

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And thank you.

Crap.....

My son was a twin. We didn't know it though. 40 years ago...

When my wife went into labour we went to the hospital, I was supposed to be the coach.

I was suddenly ushered out of the room and the drew the curtains. Out came the dead twin. Apparently it had died at 4 months or so.

Since we were never expecting twins, we weren't overly upset when they handed Brent to us. They didn't even tell us about the other one until the next day.