• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners 2023 - 2024 offseason thread

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok well scratch the they won’t address backup catcher until near spring training

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think you can count on Murphy for anything. Any production he would give would be a bonus. I’ve heard them mention Zunino in the past but now they are saying Murphy is worth the $6-7 million. Don’t know or care about the projections of salaries but if Stanton is really as cheap as us fans are saying than IMO it is ludicrous to spend that much on Murphy. They could’ve rolled O’Keefe out there is they had a 2B, 3B and two COF’s. I don’t know, it just seems backup catcher is a position that has burned them every year the past 3 years cause they counted on Murphy. And we all love Cal but he can’t continue to be behind the plate as much as he has. If he does then Cal will be burned out by the time they will have to resign him. I think with his playoff clinching home run plus his comments that were basically what every fan thinks, him not getting resigned or traded will be a worse PR hit than the 54%.
Agreed. I want to see Cal more at DH this year just to keep him fresh. Maybe 100 games caught and 55+ at DH. As far as backup goes, ya they won't spend enough to matter so pick your bum and run with it.

As well as I am all about having good clubhouse chemistry but that chemistry is such a weird thing with Jerry running things. He has preached culture and all that but then twice trades clubhouse leaders for nothing. He treated Seager like crap, and Marco and Haniger openly questioned Jerry. So basically from the beginning of the rebuild he has poisoned the culture but somehow I’m suppose to believe culture is such a big thing to bring Murphy back? I don’t know cause Santana was positive for the club but they are at a point in the rebuild where bringing in or keeping the veteran leader who provides nothing doesn’t make sense.
Agreed again. I think the chemistry thing for Dipoto is more of a smoke screen. If a guy is cheap, he is a clubhouse guy. Please.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearing the books for some big moves I am guessing...

The Cardinals and Mariners got together on a minor trade Sunday, with St. Louis acquiring right-hander Riley O’Brien from the Mariners, according to MLB.com’s transactions log. The return headed to Seattle in exchange for O’Brien is not currently known but figures to be insignificant.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok well scratch the they won’t address backup catcher until near spring training
Well we may have our answer.

MLB sources confirmed that the Mariners were acquiring catcher Blake Hunt from the Rays in exchange for minor league catcher Tatem Levins.

Hunt, who turns 25 on Nov. 10, will be added to the Mariners 40-man roster and compete for the backup spot to catcher Cal Raleigh with Tom Murphy becoming a free agent.
Hunt was a second-round pick (No. 69) overall pick in the 2017 MLB draft out of famed Mater Dei High in Santa Ana, California. He split time between the Rays’ Double-A and Triple-A affiliates, playing in a total of 67 games. He posted a .256/.331/.518 slash line with 20 doubles, 12 homers, 41 RBI, 22 walks and 61 strikeouts.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure how accurate this article is, but rather weird that they would trade for him if he will start the season in AAA. So still need a backup catcher but have 1 less 40 man spot

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure how accurate this article is, but rather weird that they would trade for him if he will start the season in AAA. So still need a backup catcher but have 1 less 40 man spot
Ya I saw that too but wasn't sure if that was what you were mentioning. Just catcher depth. Probably replacing O'Keefe more than Murphy but with Jerry who knows.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya I saw that too but wasn't sure if that was what you were mentioning. Just catcher depth. Probably replacing O'Keefe more than Murphy but with Jerry who knows.
Yeah, after reading that article I am back to being concerned about backup catcher. Just hope this guy isn’t another Cooper Hummel where Jerry tried to sell us that he is the next Dylan Moore (in Jerry’s mind of who Dylan is, not reality)

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, after reading that article I am back to being concerned about backup catcher. Just hope this guy isn’t another Cooper Hummel where Jerry tried to sell us that he is the next Dylan Moore (in Jerry’s mind of who Dylan is, not reality)
Man that is a scary thought. I didn't think that until you just brought it up. Thanks...lol.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why didn't they trade him at the trade deadline if they weren't going to try to keep him?
That was another strange thing with the deadline. They sold, no matter what anyone says, but didn’t fully sell. Outside of the Castillo and Cano trade, Jerry’s philosophy of not fully buying or selling is so weird compared to how World Series teams are put together. His “full rebuild” was basically letting contracts expire

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners refused to give Teo his 20mil QO and currently have no replacement for his production. Was Jerry afraid Teo will take the QO?

As it stands… this team just got weaker. What are your thoughts on this?

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I don't understand is if you weren't going to sign him then why not trade him last year and gained a little bit of value from him, instead they get nothing. Why does this team have to do everything so backwards?

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I don't understand is if you weren't going to sign him then why not trade him last year and gained a little bit of value from him, instead they get nothing. Why does this team have to do everything so backwards?
Exactly my thought. What a fking shit show.

They sold on Sewald but knowing they’ll likely won’t re-sign Teo they kept him anyway and not unload him at the deadline for something in return. Now he walks. SMH.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners refused to give Teo his 20mil QO and currently have no replacement for his production. Was Jerry afraid Teo will take the QO?

As it stands… this team just got weaker. What are your thoughts on this?
The QO thing is also confusing. Cause there is no way they would pay him that much. But also does he think it going to get more than 20 a year? The QO makes sense in terms of the original Larry Bird rule or the original franchise tag in the NFL. But I guess I don’t get it now in baseball because with the Mariners not offering it, it basically means the Mariners nor Teo’s camp thinks he can make anything in free agency. No idea if it is factual or not but if the Mariners offered the QO, and he turns it down but gets a legit contract offer they’d get a 2nd pick for him

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The QO thing is also confusing. Cause there is no way they would pay him that much. But also does he think it going to get more than 20 a year? The QO makes sense in terms of the original Larry Bird rule or the original franchise tag in the NFL. But I guess I don’t get it now in baseball because with the Mariners not offering it, it basically means the Mariners nor Teo’s camp thinks he can make anything in free agency. No idea if it is factual or not but if the Mariners offered the QO, and he turns it down but gets a legit contract offer they’d get a 2nd pick for him
Ya he knows he isn't getting $20M. Mariners were terrified he would accept if offered. Not that he is worth it, but $20M on a one year deal isn't the worst investment. I mean they paid La Stella, Pollock, and Wong a combined $17.72M so why not kick in a few more for a real hitter. Now they have to go out and convince players to come here...and we know how well that works for us.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on Heyman

@JonHeyman
·
8h

Phillies are only giving the $20.325M qualifying offer to Aaron Nola. So no QO for Rhys Hoskins. There’s still a decent chance he could go back there though.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tre Turner ..
Bogarts ,.

Fall.by..the..sword...and..crawford..emerges..
As...
A good..ss...

Now..just .what...was..the.problem.of..
Those.guys..that..did..not want..
To come..to ..Seattle...???....

So what...moving..on...and for.the best...

I'll go with .amed.rosario..

The only guys.to make..a diff was seager..

But I'm not. buying. his baseball..card..
Or trading..for..it...