• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Manager Situation

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if the Pads fire BoMel its a slam dunk hes the next SF manager.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I’m over thinking this, but maybe Posey moving back was part of the reason. I mean he may have been in the know about the decision that was upcoming. He might be playing a bigger part in the Giants immediate future.
The thought crossed my mind, but I really don’t see this as an option. Posey has little kids, and I think he wants to dedicate himself to that FOR NOW.

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strong rumor coming through Posey is learning Japanese to impress Othani. Stay tuned.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I consider the firing of Kap blatant antisemitism,

only cure is BoMel.

and, cowbells.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Brisbee today:

Zaidi has gotten more excellent seasons out of free-agent starting pitchers than, say, the Cincinnati Reds have in franchise history. He’s done well in free agency, considering the long odds against most free agents, mostly because free agency is an awful way to build a team.

If you’re wondering about trades, note that three of the Giants’ top 10 players in WAR this season (Mike Yastrzemski, LaMonte Wade Jr, Tristan Beck) came to the team in trades. And if you’re also wondering if it’s a little weird that a rookie swingman (Beck) was among the 10 most valuable players for the 2023 Giants, yes.

The only way the Giants were going to be a powerhouse in 2023 is if they had minor leaguers burst through the system. Because you can’t expect free agents to do everything. And you definitely can’t expect minor-league free agents to do everything. And you definitely definitely can’t count on trades to work out in your favor every time. Which means the Giants were always going to be hosed until they developed players.
Check the standings right now, though. The Arizona Diamondbacks are several games ahead of the Giants, and it’s not because of Torey Lovullo’s secret genius. It’s because they have a Corbin Carroll, and the Giants don’t. There are other reasons, but none that you need to pay that much attention to. The Giants didn’t have a Corbin Carroll. That’s the story of the 2023 season. The Padres didn’t have a Buster Posey in 2010, and boy did they regret it.

Amen.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Brisbee today:

Zaidi has gotten more excellent seasons out of free-agent starting pitchers than, say, the Cincinnati Reds have in franchise history. He’s done well in free agency, considering the long odds against most free agents, mostly because free agency is an awful way to build a team.

If you’re wondering about trades, note that three of the Giants’ top 10 players in WAR this season (Mike Yastrzemski, LaMonte Wade Jr, Tristan Beck) came to the team in trades. And if you’re also wondering if it’s a little weird that a rookie swingman (Beck) was among the 10 most valuable players for the 2023 Giants, yes.

The only way the Giants were going to be a powerhouse in 2023 is if they had minor leaguers burst through the system. Because you can’t expect free agents to do everything. And you definitely can’t expect minor-league free agents to do everything. And you definitely definitely can’t count on trades to work out in your favor every time. Which means the Giants were always going to be hosed until they developed players.
Check the standings right now, though. The Arizona Diamondbacks are several games ahead of the Giants, and it’s not because of Torey Lovullo’s secret genius. It’s because they have a Corbin Carroll, and the Giants don’t. There are other reasons, but none that you need to pay that much attention to. The Giants didn’t have a Corbin Carroll. That’s the story of the 2023 season. The Padres didn’t have a Buster Posey in 2010, and boy did they regret it.

Amen.
Agree on all counts.

So where is our Corbin Carroll in the minors? 5 years in and the system is BARREN of a single blue chipper (Harry is not “in the system” anymore). Is it OK for a GM whose primary focus was supposedly to work on the minors to add ONE blue-chipper in FIVE years?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what about Farhan’s first rounders?

2019 - Bishop (FZ’s first year, so I will give him a semi-pass, and Bishop has been destroyed by injuries. But Wilson was 100% on FZ, and he has similarly flopped)
2020 - Bailey (props so far. But I still worry if his defense and “leadership” will be able to thrive with that black hole he calls a bat)
2021 - Bednar (Taken, supposedly, because of his proximity to the bigs and his high perceived floor. How’s that working out?)
2022 - Crawford (DH/P so far in the pros. Limited defensive projection and super raw TWP makes him a high risk/moderate reward gamble. I hated it at the time and I have not even been accused of being wrong since)
2023 - Eldridge (basically, Crawford Redux, but MAYBE done right this time. He hasn’t pitched yet professionally, but in his limited time in his debut season, his bat has looked OK)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been thinking about the BoMel situation and wondering how it will play out.

The Giants are obviously in the market for a new manager. FZ (he will supposedly still be around to at least name the new manager) has stated that it would be a good idea to get someone with opposing strategic ideas to his own sitting in the dugout.

BoMel has obvious, long ties to the BA, and the Giants specifically. He also has history with FZ, though I do not know that simply working in the same organization necessarily equates to “having a history”.

The prob, of course, is that BoMel is still under contract with the Padres through ‘24. And the Padres probably don’t want to gift wrap BoMel for the Giants the way they did with Bochy. But the rumblings are pretty strong that they want a complete rework of their org, and the BoMel experiment, by most reports, did not work here in San Diego.

So what would a trade look like? I could see the Giants taking the contract from the Padres (and then extending him). I can’t find any reference to how much he is scheduled to make in ‘24, but the A’s paid him about 3.5m per. But because the Giants could look elsewhere, maybe JUST taking the contract off the Padres books could be enough (maybe a bag of balls or two as well). The Padres will look like the losers here, but I don’t know if that could possibly be avoided. The Giants look to be the desperate org here, but the Padres want to move on from BoMel as well, so they really don’t have any leverage. They either pay BoMel a year’s salary to just go away (and then he still signs with the Giants), or they give him to the Giants and they save 3.5m. The Giants have the leverage.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been thinking about the BoMel situation and wondering how it will play out.

The Giants are obviously in the market for a new manager. FZ (he will supposedly still be around to at least name the new manager) has stated that it would be a good idea to get someone with opposing strategic ideas to his own sitting in the dugout.

BoMel has obvious, long ties to the BA, and the Giants specifically. He also has history with FZ, though I do not know that simply working in the same organization necessarily equates to “having a history”.

The prob, of course, is that BoMel is still under contract with the Padres through ‘24. And the Padres probably don’t want to gift wrap BoMel for the Giants the way they did with Bochy. But the rumblings are pretty strong that they want a complete rework of their org, and the BoMel experiment, by most reports, did not work here in San Diego.

So what would a trade look like? I could see the Giants taking the contract from the Padres (and then extending him). I can’t find any reference to how much he is scheduled to make in ‘24, but the A’s paid him about 3.5m per. But because the Giants could look elsewhere, maybe JUST taking the contract off the Padres books could be enough (maybe a bag of balls or two as well). The Padres will look like the losers here, but I don’t know if that could possibly be avoided. The Giants look to be the desperate org here, but the Padres want to move on from BoMel as well, so they really don’t have any leverage. They either pay BoMel a year’s salary to just go away (and then he still signs with the Giants), or they give him to the Giants and they save 3.5m. The Giants have the leverage.
Do we think BoMel would continue on in FZ/Kap's fashion of the Sac-SF shuttle & by-the-charts platooning or would he be more of a Craig/Bochy type of player's manager? I'm done with the yo-yo'ing strict analytics reign, but we don't have a vet roster to go full player. At the minimum a light hand in allowing young talent to prove or flame is needed... is this BoMel?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we think BoMel would continue on in FZ/Kap's fashion of the Sac-SF shuttle & by-the-charts platooning or would he be more of a Craig/Bochy type of player's manager? I'm done with the yo-yo'ing strict analytics reign, but we don't have a vet roster to go full player. At the minimum a light hand in allowing young talent to prove or flame is needed... is this BoMel?
I only know him by general reputation. My take is that he is a bit more old-school, but I don’t know that for sure.

I kinda get the sense that FZ may have kinda had a bit of a “come to Jesus” this year and will pull back on the full platoon, players are only assets ideology. He has said that EVERYTHING will change moving forward. I have no choice but to take him at his word on that.

I think analytics is important. VERY important. But it isnt the ONLY thing to be considered.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree on all counts.

So where is our Corbin Carroll in the minors? 5 years in and the system is BARREN of a single blue chipper (Harry is not “in the system” anymore). Is it OK for a GM whose primary focus was supposedly to work on the minors to add ONE blue-chipper in FIVE years?
I want to stop this "5 years in" narrative. The first year it was all Bobby Evans draft. The second was the COVID year and all bets are off.

It's been 3 legit years and things look pretty good. Will we have an all-star or two? Who knows.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what about Farhan’s first rounders?

2019 - Bishop (FZ’s first year, so I will give him a semi-pass, and Bishop has been destroyed by injuries. But Wilson was 100% on FZ, and he has similarly flopped)
2020 - Bailey (props so far. But I still worry if his defense and “leadership” will be able to thrive with that black hole he calls a bat)
2021 - Bednar (Taken, supposedly, because of his proximity to the bigs and his high perceived floor. How’s that working out?)
2022 - Crawford (DH/P so far in the pros. Limited defensive projection and super raw TWP makes him a high risk/moderate reward gamble. I hated it at the time and I have not even been accused of being wrong since)
2023 - Eldridge (basically, Crawford Redux, but MAYBE done right this time. He hasn’t pitched yet professionally, but in his limited time in his debut season, his bat has looked OK)
2019 was evans