• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Malcolm Butler Suspended 3 Weeks

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Belichick suspended Malcolm Butler from field practice for three weeks. From what I've been able to glean from the radio reports and the talking heads, Butler is being disciplined for missing either practice or a meeting.

Since his heroic interception in the Super Bowl, Butler has been all over the place doing personal appearances, charity appearances and paid appearances.

Radio guys think that this is Belichick letting Butler know that he's part of the Patriots team and he's not the main cog. One commentator said that it could actually put Butler behind the rest of the secondary because that group of guys have been getting special attention from both the coaching staff and Belichick during the OTAs. Not one member of the secondary has missed a day at Gillette, even when the team has had a day off. When the coaches can't be on the field, non-coaches and special coaches paid for by the players have been at the both indoor and outdoor practice facilities. It was reported that the secondary and wide receivers had two days of working out on the playing field. No word who was throwing practices.

As one commentator said, this is the discipline that separates the Patriots from other teams in today's NFL. Players know and understand that there's a difference between life and football. Screwing up in both can cause problems. Screwing up in football can also be more than painful..................it can be painfully embarrassing among you and your team mates.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Mike Reiss, ESPN Staff Writer
The Malcolm Butler story has taken another surprising twist: From Super Bowl hero to being kept on the sidelines for voluntary organized team activities.

The Boston Herald reported Wednesday that Butler, whose goal-line interception sealed a Super Bowl XLIX victory for the New England Patriots, was late for the first OTA practice May 26 because he missed a flight to Boston the night before due to weather issues. Pats coach Bill Belichick has kept Butler off the field since, according to the Herald.

The Herald added that the cornerback has been attending all meetings, film sessions and weight-training sessions, and he might be close to returning to practice as early as Thursday when reporters are scheduled to be present.

The Patriots are hoping Butler can use his Super Bowl performance as a springboard to assume a larger role in 2015. He played 16.6 percent of the defensive snaps last season, but with 2014 starters Darrelle Revis (Jets) andBrandon Browner (Saints) now elsewhere, there's a significant void to be filled.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We get at least one of these events a year. Always a surprise who "volunteers" to be made an example of.
Players are never surprised. Brady would be benched if he was late.
Belichick would probably bench himself!

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read about this and I don't agree. Why cut off your nose to spite your face?

Butler was late for the first practice of organized team activities May 26 because he missed a flight on the way to Boston due to weather issues, and he was held off the practice field for nearly three weeks, according to a team source. Butler attempted to fly into Boston the day before OTAs, but the weather-related issues pushed his arrival into the next day.
The report says that Butler let the team know about his canceled flight, but he was still disciplined. Nonetheless, Butler has been around the team and attending meetings and workouts, but has been held off the practice field.
t this and I don't agree. Why cut off your nose to spite your face?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read about this and I don't agree. Why cut off your nose to spite your face?

Butler was late for the first practice of organized team activities May 26 because he missed a flight on the way to Boston due to weather issues, and he was held off the practice field for nearly three weeks, according to a team source. Butler attempted to fly into Boston the day before OTAs, but the weather-related issues pushed his arrival into the next day.
The report says that Butler let the team know about his canceled flight, but he was still disciplined. Nonetheless, Butler has been around the team and attending meetings and workouts, but has been held off the practice field.
t this and I don't agree. Why cut off your nose to spite your face?

Because it works for the Patriots.....

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it works for the Patriots.....

at some point it will backfire, and this may be the time considering they lost most of the back end of the defense and if they are really wanting to rely on Butler this season, sticking his ass to the pine for bad weather is not the best way to go IMO.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bit much if you ask me, but then again....who cares what the fans think. Now the NFLPA is investigating NE for violations. This should be great, LOL. Not sure what they would be in trouble for. They paid him, he is watching films, going to meetings and working out. They are letting him participate, just not on the field. I thought he had a injury also he was recovering from? Anyways....nothing screams the NFL like the Patriots and the rules!

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bit much if you ask me, but then again....who cares what the fans think. Now the NFLPA is investigating NE for violations. This should be great, LOL. Not sure what they would be in trouble for. They paid him, he is watching films, going to meetings and working out. They are letting him participate, just not on the field. I thought he had a injury also he was recovering from? Anyways....nothing screams the NFL like the Patriots and the rules!

They hit him harsh. The OTA's are voluntary and there is supposed to be no punishment for not attending.
Pats are pissed that everyone else made it but Malcolm was busy and waited until last minute. Weather happens but weather forecasts also happen.....

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They hit him harsh. The OTA's are voluntary and there is supposed to be no punishment for not attending.
Pats are pissed that everyone else made it but Malcolm was busy and waited until last minute. Weather happens but weather forecasts also happen.....

That's exactly the reason he was suspended. Belichick tells every player when they come to the Patriots that they player in New England, which is a geographical place as well as the team name. He tells every player that it will rain, it will snow, it will be extremely cold. Make sure you get up early, if it takes you an hour on a clear sunny day to get to Gillette, make sure you leave 4 hours ahead of time if it's snowing. If you travel and have to take a flight, don't take the last one on the day before because flights get delayed and cancelled.

He tells every player that they are responsible for their actions and no one else.

Butler scheduled a late flight, it got cancelled, if he'd scheduled an earlier one, he'd have made it.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's exactly the reason he was suspended. Belichick tells every player when they come to the Patriots that they player in New England, which is a geographical place as well as the team name. He tells every player that it will rain, it will snow, it will be extremely cold. Make sure you get up early, if it takes you an hour on a clear sunny day to get to Gillette, make sure you leave 4 hours ahead of time if it's snowing. If you travel and have to take a flight, don't take the last one on the day before because flights get delayed and cancelled.

He tells every player that they are responsible for their actions and no one else.

Butler scheduled a late flight, it got cancelled, if he'd scheduled an earlier one, he'd have made it.

Granted we don't know if an earlier flight was available to Butler. However, you are correct in what BB say's and expects from his players.

flyingelvis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Granted we don't know if an earlier flight was available to Butler. However, you are correct in what BB say's and expects from his players.

Well, there is always an earlier flight. Same flight the previous day.

Hopefully he responds to BB's coaching. I have a feeling they like what they see in him.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a one game hero.

Jonas Gray is a one game hero that is still hoping to get unchained from the doghouse.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just can't trust dem fuckin butlers

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Butler gets it.
Gray obviously didn't with the tweet he made. I hope he gets it now.....

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was a tornado that canceled his flight, how are you suppose to plan for that? LOL

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Try watching the news. They show the potential tornado areas up here in New England on the local weather forecasts. Like Belichick says...."Don't take the last flight on the last day."

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Try watching the news. They show the potential tornado areas up here in New England on the local weather forecasts. Like Belichick says...."Don't take the last flight on the last day."

I agree on that. Tempting fate with the weather is a bonehead move.

NorEEzta

Behold: A Pale Horse
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was a tornado that canceled his flight, how are you suppose to plan for that? LOL
I live in Northern VA, with some of the worst traffic in the country. This past winter, unless the government in DC shut down, we were still expected to show up for work....on time.

Snow + traffic = so what, get your ass to work. Pay me Butler's salary? I'll be there 2 days ahead of time.