• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Making slanty eyes = 5 games

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a question. Does Darvesh have " slanted eyes", is he also Chinese? If so, why is this racist? In neither case is it a stereotype. The overwhelming majority of Chinese people has what is commonly referred to "as slanted eyes.
If you saw someone with "slanted eyes" commit a crime would your first impression be that they were Asian and would you not use that in your description to the police? Would that be racist if you did?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reached by phone, Darvish commented, “yeah, he made a mistake, but what do you expect? Guy probably should have been eaten by a shark, but instead, he gets to play ball and wear his hair like a a fucking troll doll. Balsero.”

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reached by phone, Darvish commented, “yeah, he made a mistake, but what do you expect? Guy probably should have been eaten by a shark, but instead, he gets to play ball and wear his hair like a a fucking troll doll. Balsero.”
But in his defense, Yuriel called Darvish and asked "Yu mad bro?"

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no it does not mean a thing... I highly doubt he cares too much about next season and it wouldn't make him feel bad at all

Costs him $320,000 though

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
while calling somebody a faggot is only 2 games

seems a bit excessive to me
My only question is, why wait until next season for the suspension? Why not suspend him for 2/3 games of the World Series? After all the infraction happened during the World Series.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what it's worth here are a couple of articles from the Times on the subject:

Yuli Gurriel's offensive gesture provokes outrage among Asian Americans

Some look askew at Yuli Gurriel's dugout squint

The second one is by Dylan Hernandez who is El Salvadoran and Japanese. A couple of excerpts from his article:

MLB’s international feed caught Gurriel pulling back the corner of his eyes while mouthing the word “chinito,” which translates to something along the lines of “little Chinese boy.” Darvish is from Japan.

I spent my childhood criss-crossing cultures, switching languages and identities according to the environment I was in at a particular moment.
That included Sundays in Pomona, where my father drove my brother and me to play soccer with Spanish-speaking kids. There, we were “los chinitos.” I wasn’t offended. My brother wasn’t offended. This was a term of endearment.
I still hear the term. My wife was born in Mexico and came to the United States when she was 6. Every now and then, someone in her family will refer to me as “el chino.”

Really, it’s the context. This might be a hard concept to grasp for anyone who is monocultural or monolingual, but believe me when I tell you racial terms aren’t said with the same level of maliciousness in Spanish as they are in English. Even racist-looking gestures, like the one Guerriel made, aren’t made with the same level of vitriol. Not close.

Equally as predictable was that Darvish wasn’t offended either.

“I saw it, but for me personally it doesn’t really bother me,” he said in Japanese.

Asked if he was upset, Darvish deadpanned, “I’m very, very angry.”

He laughed and added, “No.”

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm vs. racism but yeah 5 games seems a bit much for this. 2 games would have sufficed.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
while calling somebody a faggot is only 2 games

seems a bit excessive to me

sXU6Q.jpg

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
serious enough to warrant a 5 game suspension but let him play the WS out

how much sense does that make?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It in a way makes perfect sense. The MLBPA automatically has to appeal a suspension which makes them look horrible in this situation, so I think Manfred just struck a deal that if they drop the appeal in the off-season. He says he doesn't want to punish the other Astros but I think it is mostly not making the players look foolish twice.

And if Darvish isn't all upset then why does it piss off so many people?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It in a way makes perfect sense. The MLBPA automatically has to appeal a suspension which makes them look horrible in this situation, so I think Manfred just struck a deal that if they drop the appeal in the off-season. He says he doesn't want to punish the other Astros but I think it is mostly not making the players look foolish twice.

And if Darvish isn't all upset then why does it piss off so many people?

Manfred missed an opportunity though. He should have suspended him 2 games starting right then, knowing the union/Gurriel would appeal. Gurriel would still play in the WS but Manfred looks like a big man for 'trying' to suspend him for the WS.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have fined the fucker $5K, told him to send it to Puerto Rican relief and called it even.
It's an immature act by a big league ballplayer who never had to account for that ever in his life.
Darvish gave up the HR. It's called trying to win the game.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have fined the fucker $5K, told him to send it to Puerto Rican relief and called it even.
It's an immature act by a big league ballplayer who never had to account for that ever in his life.
Darvish gave up the HR. It's called trying to win the game.

you realize Gurriel is from Cuba, right?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

with an appeal there was no chance he was going to actually miss any WS games.

So he went for more games next season.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I knew he'd get a suspension but I didn't think it would be 5 games... even Darvish himself brushed this incident off
As he should have. The outrage over this is so trumped up.