• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Making slanty eyes = 5 games

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well if the league truly wanted to make it an issue and make a huge "stance" on it then they would have suspended him immediately and worried about the player unions fighting it

But then they have this huge cloud over the WS. And they knew he wasn't going to miss a game no matter what.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But then they have this huge cloud over the WS. And they knew he wasn't going to miss a game no matter what.

There already is a cloud over it with this "issue" Yeah I'm sure they knew he wouldn't but in my eyes it would show me that they truly don't want racism in the league.. By saying, "naw, we'll wait" leads me to think they don't care

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There already is a cloud over it with this "issue" Yeah I'm sure they knew he wouldn't but in my eyes it would show me that they truly don't want racism in the league.. By saying, "naw, we'll wait" leads me to think they don't care

Taunting a pitcher you just took yard is a tradition as old as the moderately modern game (aka when they stopped being able to tell pitchers where you wanted the ball pitched).

Frankly most people are just assholes, not really racist.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taunting a pitcher you just took yard is a tradition as old as the moderately modern game (aka when they stopped being able to tell pitchers where you wanted the ball pitched).

Frankly most people are just assholes, not really racist.

very true.. But with the league suspending him they are trying to say this type of behavior won't be tolerated... Yet they aren't making a very bold statement about it

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
very true.. But with the league suspending him they are trying to say this type of behavior won't be tolerated... Yet they aren't making a very bold statement about it

5 games is pretty extreme for saying mean things, when Chase Utley can break a guy's leg with a cheap shot and get nothing.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 games is pretty extreme for saying mean things, when Chase Utley can break a guy's leg with a cheap shot and get nothing.

Right and that's I am getting at the league is royally screwed up

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you said he never had to account for that in his life.

This isn't some spoiled brat from so cal.

This dude lived under Castro his whole life. He'd have made $100m by now if he was born anywhere else.
Point taken. I still think the immaturity part and the culture of athletes needs to be factored in. I have no idea what sort of player he is, and some of the Cubanos who come here seem to have something of an attitude, at least the high profile ones. Either way, I'd say a public apology and some kind of act of contrition is enough. No real harm happened. Dunno ... I can see something of an MLB action regarding this but it still seems a bit like spreading on the tolerance like a layer of mayo on bread. If players are going to act this way, that's what they will do. Immaturity isn't going to stop just because the league says it should. The guy is trying to win the W.S. You do what you gotta do and buy him a beer next month..

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but is it better or worse than how he did it?

I'm not saying what he did is ok, I'm just saying he should be cut some slack as shit we think is offensive isn't offensive to the world. The dude has played in Asia and I'm sure he isn't retarded and wouldn't have made a gesture to piss off another culture. Guess my point is, people need to step back and realize this isn't a black/white American issue. It's a baseball issue where two cultures we as Americans don't grasp make gestures. If the Japanese or South Koreans were half as sensitive as Americans, Americans would be barred from playing there, but they understand cultures are different and explain why to the athlete not portray him as an anti this or that.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying what he did is ok, I'm just saying he should be cut some slack as shit we think is offensive isn't offensive to the world. The dude has played in Asia and I'm sure he isn't retarded and wouldn't have made a gesture to piss off another culture. Guess my point is, people need to step back and realize this isn't a black/white American issue. It's a baseball issue where two cultures we as Americans don't grasp make gestures. If the Japanese or South Koreans were half as sensitive as Americans, Americans would be barred from playing there, but they understand cultures are different and explain why to the athlete not portray him as an anti this or that.

.....there is a double standard here. That is all you just said.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Donald Sterling said means things in his own home ..this is what he got:

Lifetime ban from the NBA.
2.5 million dollar fine.
He had to sell his team.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point taken. I still think the immaturity part and the culture of athletes needs to be factored in. I have no idea what sort of player he is, and some of the Cubanos who come here seem to have something of an attitude, at least the high profile ones. Either way, I'd say a public apology and some kind of act of contrition is enough. No real harm happened. Dunno ... I can see something of an MLB action regarding this but it still seems a bit like spreading on the tolerance like a layer of mayo on bread. If players are going to act this way, that's what they will do. Immaturity isn't going to stop just because the league says it should. The guy is trying to win the W.S. You do what you gotta do and buy him a beer next month..

Look at Jose Bautista/Roug Odor for an excessive home run celebration.

you ain't taking it out of the game.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....there is a double standard here. That is all you just said.

Well in a way it is a double standard. Gurriel was white and Darvish were either black or Latino then torches would be out

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at Jose Bautista/Roug Odor for an excessive home run celebration.

you ain't taking it out of the game.
I agree. It's just how players are, probably have been for a long time ... sans the cameras that catch everything from farting to spitting on the water cooler.
Back to my point: It seems MLB is doing the modern thing and saying "OMG, this is unacceptable behavior! Let's make a big deal of it." And the social justice campaign is suddenly agog that a big-league ballplayer would mock somebody else on the other team. Hell, we all played baseball and anything we could do to rattle the opposition was fair game.
That's how we learned to play competitive sports. We watched other guys do it and we watched when that shit got in their heads. Rabbit ears, we called it!
Nothing here you don't know so that's probably enough on that.
I think MLB is another organization that's pretending it gives a crap about "diversity" and "role models" ... and being fair to the fans, which was all achieved in this one moment.
So, fine the guy, tell him to say he's sorry. Suspending a player for doing what has been happening in the dugout since 1883, let's stop pretending. Millions of people tune in to watch players compete, not be nice to each other.