• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Major coaching rumor I heard today... (Georgia Tech and Auburn)

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, if a guy like Gus comes to Tech, then they have decided to lower the academic requirements for football players. Gus isn't coming to a program like Tech having to wear academic handcuffs IMO.

Agreed...it's not that the standards are so much higher...schools like Stanford and N'western, Duke...known to be academic leaders have done much better on the grid iron. They do have a much broader curriculum and that's what kills GT in recruiting...but they've gotten the athletes in the past...I think they will need to reach a little and get a guy on the rebound like Lane Kiffin.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gus could definitely turn GT into a perennial power again.. and he doesn't have to deal w Bama, LSU, A&M all in one division. That's a good move for him honestly.
Still has to deal with Clemson and Georgia

crimsontater

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i seen on the internet that gus was agreeing to restructure his contract to get another year at the barn. internet = has to b true

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UNC should have hired Kingsbury.

Georgia Tech hiring Kingsbury, with obvious agreement to have patience to let him overhaul that thing would be a sneaky home run hire.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The timing was right.

The last few years haven't been great, but he has had some real bright moments at GT.

He went 3-8 against UGA, 3-4 in Athens, and those 3 wins are 3 more than Chan Gailey ever got against UGA, and that was when GT could get a guy like Calvin Johnson, and up until the last few years, he had Dabo's number, and most years, even if they didn't win, they were a major pain in the ass to play.

But it is time to move on.

I get that GT's academic standards somewhat limit them in what recruits they can get, but they are located in one of the hottest recruiting beds in the country, and the triple option was preventing them from getting any top recruits on offense. They get a pro style or spread coach in there and get a few guys in the NFL at skill positions, they can get a few blue chip recruits to go there every year.

It's gonna be a rough at least next couple of years if they go away from the option, because they have nobody on the roster that is set up to run anything other than the option, and it will be about as rough of a transition as possible.

I could see them going after Satterfield from App State who runs a modified version of the option that has a lot more passing, but it could make the transition smoother.

But this Georgia fan wishes Paul Johnson well in retirement. He's been in the game forever, and despite the last few years, he's had a really good career.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the OP, Auburn would pay most of his buyout. I thought it was something astronomical, like 30+ mil.
In this scenario I think Auburn would wave Gus’ contract buy out to Auburn and supplement the difference in Salary to GT.

Substantially less money.

It’s all BS though but I wish it to be true.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ken Whisenhunt is the name I keep hearing for the GT job though.

Don't know how he'd fair in the college game, but he did come within an eyelash of winning a Super Bowl with the AZ Cardinals.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But like I said GT has stricter academic standards than most, but Chan Gailey was still able to get guys like Calvin Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, Jonathan Dwyer, Tashard Choice, Morgan Burnett, etc to play there.

They'll never be able to have a top ranked class or have the depth to contend for natties or beat UGA and Clemson regularly, but a good coach can get some blue chips to go there, and considering the division they play in, GT should be winning 8-9 games every year.

Most likely these next couple of years are going to be brutal if they do transition to a new offense, but give a good coach time, he can have them be a solid, borderline top 20 program most years.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gus won't happen but he actually wouldn't have as big of a rebuilding job, he made the national championship at Auburn with Nick Marshall who was primarily a runner that could occasionally throw

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gus won't happen but he actually wouldn't have as big of a rebuilding job, he made the national championship at Auburn with Nick Marshall who was primarily a runner that could occasionally throw

It would be a major rebuilding job for any new coach. This was a senior laden team and should have been an up year for them. PJ's recruiting classes were always ranked around the 50's and they have nobody on the team that can throw nearly as well as Nick Marshall and no WR's either.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be a major rebuilding job for any new coach. This was a senior laden team and should have been an up year for them. PJ's recruiting classes were always ranked around the 50's and they have nobody on the team that can throw nearly as well as Nick Marshall and no WR's either.

I didn't know they were a team of mostly seniors

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UNC should have hired Kingsbury.

Georgia Tech hiring Kingsbury, with obvious agreement to have patience to let him overhaul that thing would be a sneaky home run hire.

Kinsbury and Fedora are the same caliber of coach though. Both have struggled recruiting, both have had successful years, both have had a top round quarterback, both can coach an offense but struggle on defense. Why fire Fedora to replace him with Kliff, and why would it be assumed Kingbury would want to take the job?

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching his twitter feed right before the Iron Bowl would be awesome

I don't think anybody expects him to be down in Directional Florida for too long. Eventually, some big program will take another flier on him.

I find his subtle jabs from Boca entertaining...I would probably find them less so from the Plains.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find his subtle jabs from Boca entertaining...I would probably find them less so from the Plains.
That's discrimination Mr. Bigot.