• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Maclin gone

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the point of having the cap room if you don't spend it? I'd rather have Maclin than $11m sitting unused next season.

Ask NO who's having to let guys go to get under it this year and last.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask NO who's having to let guys go to get under it this year and last.

Who is the last player that we had to get rid of in order to make room for the cap in the last 15 years??

Now, how many times did we pass money into future years that went unused "OR" we spent money with advanced bonuses just in order to spend money that had nothing to do with improving the quality of the roster?

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's irrelevant as to whether there is such a thing as cap hell or not isn't it.

Saying it's never happened doesn't mean it can't.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's irrelevant as to whether there is such a thing as cap hell or not isn't it.

Just saying, it is not relevant to our team and the rational to the personnel moves we have made or the ones we failed to do in improving our roster.

soulxflare

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This. Sadly, Eagles fans just need something to bitch about 24/7, so it's really a no win situation. If we spend too little, and let guys walk, they bitch. If we spend too much, and can't afford to keep certain players, they'll still bitch.

It's too easy to be an armchair GM, without any of the real pressure and/or responsibility.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. Sadly, Eagles fans just need something to bitch about 24/7, so it's really a no win situation. If we spend too little, and let guys walk, they bitch. If we spend too much, and can't afford to keep certain players, they'll still bitch.

It's too easy to be an armchair GM, without any of the real pressure and/or responsibility.

It's really simple. Their job should be to field the best talent possible with the resources available to them. Reid was far more interested in proving he could do it with less, as he believed scheme over skillset mattered. IT was not until he went all in in 2004 and got the only physical stud WR and a stud DE that we kept our RB healthy, and made it to the SB. Coaches that believe it's all scheme over skillset, instead of a combination of both, are doomed to get your hopes up but never deliver. I'm still in a wait and see look with Chip, but I'd lie if I didn't say I'm concerned. Different ego and different scheme, but possibly same believe in scheme over skillset and thus same result.

And the fact is, those that are the best at what they do at their position, often have ego complexes. It takes a lot of self confidence, and drive to be that physical and good. Steve Young often talked about how he could throw a pass to TO and Jerry Rice would complain, "man, I was open!" And he could throw a TD to Rice, and TO would do the same thing. He said it was a GOOD problem to have. But we have coaches that see it as a problem and would just get rid of such players. It's foolish to get rid of a performing player without already having a proven replacement in hand. That's how you get caught with your pants down.

It's not about just complaining no matter what they do. I would rather see the team put it's best efforts out and fail, than make excuses why they couldn't do what other teams can. The excuse of cap hell is simply one that does "NOT" hold any water to me, as we have NEVER been in that situation or remotely close to it in over 15 years. But we have passed over 10mil of unused money into future years; and we have paid bonus money to rookies not yet even in contract years (including 10mil that was given to Maclin at one point). I'd rather discuss what is relevant, than the boogy man that is not.

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am pretty much sure that most professional athletes have egos. :D Chip just wants to find player that fit his system. I am not sure about the rest of you but I would take Jordan Matthews over Pinkston, Thrash, or Mitchell. I think Huff will surprise a few people this year.

McCoy wouldn't run the ball the way the coach wanted him to. Even when I played Pee Wee football that got you a sit on the bench. Sometime you need to find a little crease, lower your shoulder, and move a pile for a couple yards.

This as more to do with buying in and executing to the coaches plan. I have hated this 3 day thing but 3 hours from now the new season begins and we will see who signs on to be an Eagle. I can't wait!!!!

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would he franchise him for almost 13 million a year? When he didn't want to pay him 11 million a year that he was asking for but offered him 9 million instead?

13 for 1 year. That's not a lot of guaranteed money. It doesn't hurt the future cap at all. All of the guys you sign in this offseason are going to have smaller cap hits this year then they will in future years. It gives you a number one receiver in 2015. Maclin knows the offense, which should help any QB we put in there.

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really wanted Maclin back but I would not have given him 11 million per year. He's a very good player but not special.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really wanted Maclin back but I would not have given him 11 million per year. He's a very good player but not special.

Right. Then he would have cost 13-16.

You guys need to get with the current contracts instead of calling every single player too costly.

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would've applied the Franchise Tag to Maclin and then tried to continue to work on a long term deal. Perhaps he really wanted to go back home and play for his former coach. Not happy about losing Maclin, but I'll wait till see what the master plan is.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The tag for WR was is 12.8 mil.

I feel $11mil a year for Maclin is too high. I am sorry to see him gone but I can't see paying him that kind of money and it took someone overpaying to get him to leave.

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's from the midwest and loved Reid. He's the undisputed #1 on the Chiefs (although Kelce may catch more) and cashed. It's just one of those things.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In hindsight, it certainly looks like not applying the tag to Maclin and trying to negotiate a long-term deal with him might have backfired. I think his asking price was higher than they wanted to pay, clearly, but they may have underestimated the willingness of other teams to pay him more. Either that or they truly didn't give a rat's ass...

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Crabtree is over his foot ailments he could easily fill Maclin's role.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In hindsight, it certainly looks like not applying the tag to Maclin and trying to negotiate a long-term deal with him might have backfired. I think his asking price was higher than they wanted to pay, clearly, but they may have underestimated the willingness of other teams to pay him more. Either that or they truly didn't give a rat's ass...

I truly do not think they expected people pay him more than he was worth. He truly missed all the memo's on Reid overpaying for people he truly wants (McNabb, Vick just to name a few).

It is a business and Maclin cashed but there are a good number of receivers that can do what he is capable of. It is not like he was Johnson or Bryant. I remember all the screaming when Djax was cut people saying we can't replace his numbers and yet a slower Maclin performed better.

TheSnowdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked Maclin and was disappointed to see he was flying the coop

If it was me I would have franchise tagged him

Ultimately though until the dust settles with free agency and the draft I can't say whether the Eagles are going to miss Maclin or not. Right now it doesn't look good with Matthews, Huff, and Cooper but still early

I would gladly pay for the gunpowder and cannon to shoot Cooper anywhere but Philly...