• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LOUDEST CFB Stadiums

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may be surprised. VT has sold out every game for 10+ years, but that would probably change if they added 15,000 seats. Oregon and VT don't have huge urban markets close by like most big stadium cfb venues....outside of maybe Portland.

In their defense, Clemson isn't exactly a booming metropolis either (pop. 14,000). Greenville's right down the road but that's about it.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the 100,000 plus groups, I don't see any that are particularly quiet.

Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama, Nebraska, Penn State, and the like are all loud and passionate fans.

Texas is adding another 20,000-30,000 by 2020 and possibly getting up to 130,000.

So, I think the arms race will begin again with the 100K guys.

I doubt Michigan will enjoy being #2 and try and add more as well.

I see about 4 of the stadiums you listed that have never seemed all that loud to me. I know for a fact one of them isn't. :lol:

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In their defense, Clemson isn't exactly a booming metropolis either (pop. 14,000). Greenville's right down the road but that's about it.

What do you reckon the population is within driving distance of Clemson though? That's the thing. Whether or not you'll have to buy a hotel room for the night is more of what i'm talking about.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
59,000 seems tiny by big time program standards.

If Oregon wants to be a true big time player, they got to do something about that stadium.

Whether they are Loud or not, nothing is more intimidating than 100,000 + people.

really you dont consider Oregon a big time player because they dont have 100,000 seat stadium?

Oregon has the current longest active BCS bowl streak. 4 in a row. Only 6 schools have more BCS appearances. Oregon is tied with Alabama, LSU, Michigan and Wisconsin with 5 BCS bowls. thats more than Texas, Miami, Notre Dame, Georgia, Auburn, Nebraska, tennessee, Penn State.
of those 10 schools with the same or more appearances as Oregon only 4 have a higher BCS bowl win %. that puts them over VT, Oklahoma and Florida State.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge urban markets actually tend to make the stadium experience smaller.

Most of the biggest stadiums are not in cities. They tend to be destinations themselves rather than just another attraction in a cosmopolitan city.

There is just too much competition for disposable incomes in urban markets. It only gets worse when the pros are there to siphon off the college money.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, if they want to be a big time player all they need to do is win a national title or 'natty' as they seem to like to call it. Being close with a loud base is nice, but putting the crystal ball in your case makes you legit by any standard.

(Too bad they won't ever get there :suds:)

Oregon finally wins one and all you will hear is "Oh how nice but talk to us when you have more than one" or from what ever fan base, 4, 8, 12 and such.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see us stop adding seats. I know there's plans to add few more thousand, but at 81,500 that's plenty. If we have that many fans that want to see a game it keeps the tickets at a premium, making the ticket a little more of a treat than just ho hum. Record att. was 86,092.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
59,000 seems tiny by big time program standards.

If Oregon wants to be a true big time player, they got to do something about that stadium.

Whether they are Loud or not, nothing is more intimidating than 100,000 + people.

Thats fine if it seems like a small crowd. But this big time program in Oregon is perfectly fine with it....

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Most of the biggest stadiums are not in cities. They tend to be destinations themselves rather than just another attraction in a cosmopolitan city.

There is just too much competition for disposable incomes in urban markets. It only gets worse when the pros are there to siphon off the college money.

I'm not talking about sticking a stadium in the middle of Dallas. Just being within driving distance of some. Like Texas is with San Antonio and possibly Houston.

Texas is in between some of the biggest media markets in the country and in a state that worships football even when Texas sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Portland does travel to Eugene for games. it is only about a 2 hour drive. same from the south at Medford/grants pass area which is Oregons like 3rd largest area behind Portland and Eugene.
Bend/Redmond and coastal areas are all relatively close as well. they dont have to be a huge area, there are people that will travel.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hell i live in Olympia Washington a good 4 hours drive to Eugene and I see people headed to games when I go down there.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon finally wins one and all you will hear is "Oh how nice but talk to us when you have more than one" or from what ever fan base, 4, 8, 12 and such.

And? Name me any team above taunting? Fans even try to taunt Bama even though they have pwned college football in recent years. There is nothing Oregon can ever do that would prevent fans from taunting you.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AUSTIN and COLUMBUS are the only major cities that I can think of offhand that deliver an urban collegiate football experience with the 100K sellouts.

Most urban colleges like Georgia Tech, Maryland, Miami, Pitt, and others have smaller stadiums and attendance issues.

It just seems the most successful stadiums are a good distance away from the cities.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AUSTIN and COLUMBUS are the only major cities that I can think of offhand that deliver an urban collegiate football experience with the 100K sellouts.

Most urban colleges like Georgia Tech, Maryland, Miami, Pitt, and others have smaller stadiums and attendance issues.

It just seems the most successful stadiums are a good distance away from the cities.
People in those areas aren't concerned with college football either though or have another cfb team somewhere close by that is more prevalent. As i said before....i am not talking about putting a stadium in the middle of a million + population city....just within driving distance.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i still dont see what stadium size has to do with being a big time player. i have no doubt Oregon would have had the same record with a 30000 stadium or a 100000

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i still dont see what stadium size has to do with being a big time player. i have no doubt Oregon would have had the same record with a 30000 stadium or a 100000

It doesn't unless it is small enough that it affects your recruiting. Loud and rabid but smallish stadiums have the same upside in recruiting as 100,000 cap stadiums.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just makes me drool waiting for the new and improved Husky stadium. Same roof to reflect sound back, same double deck where the upper deck reflects the sound coming from the lower deck back and now the seats moved right up to the edge of the field. That place is going to be crazy loud.

We kind of already know how loud since Centry Link Field was modeled after Husky stadium with acoustics and CL is the loudest stadium in the NFL. Husky stadium will hold around 2-3k more seats than CL and have seating as close along with a partial roof system similar to it.

Just bring your ear plugs as opposing fans coming to visit. The sound will be painful.
Of course we are waiting for the return of football that delivers the pain, but one step at a time.

The new stadium is going to be so awesome... I can't wait.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What an awful list. The loudest stadium in the B1G is Kinnick because it is extremely compact. Illinois would be the loudest by far if they were actually good. Big bowls are not good at directing noise at all.

Camp Randall and The Shoe are my two favorite stadiums in college football, but to have them up there is a complete joke. Same with Tennessee, I haven't been to the other seven, but I assume it is true for all but Autzen.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What an awful list. The loudest stadium in the B1G is Kinnick because it is extremely compact. Illinois would be the loudest by far if they were actually good. Big bowls are not good at directing noise at all.

Camp Randall and The Shoe are my two favorite stadiums in college football, but to have them up there is a complete joke. Same with Tennessee, I haven't been to the other seven, but I assume it is true for all but Autzen.

let's see your top 10 then. You obviously have some insight.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
let's see your top 10 then. You obviously have some insight.

Of the ones i've been in,

1. Iowa
2. Illinois
3. Cincy
4. Minnesota
-------------- (Big Break)
5. Notre Dame
6. Ohio State
7. Wisconsin
8. Tennessee
9. Rose Bowl
10. Michigan
----------------
(The crap stadiums I have been into)

I have no idea what the loudest stadiums in college football are, but I know for sure they are not big bowls. The loudest stadium is probably a 40,000-50,000 person stadium with big walls behind both endzones. I don't know what schools fit that description, but it sure as hell isn't the ones in the BR list.