• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Los Angeles Rams @ New Orleans Saints 11/27/16, 1:00 PM EST; FOX

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Los Angeles Rams @ New Orleans Saints, 11/27/16, 1:00 PM EST; FOX

Saints, Rams hope to start climb
NEW ORLEANS -- During the New Orleans Saints' magical run to the Super Bowl XLIV title in February 2010, Drew Brees saw every day what a Gregg Williams defense could do to an offense. It was a Saints' defense Brees faced daily in practice.

18391735-standard.jpg

The stakes on Sunday at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome will be a bit different as the 4-6 Saints attempt to make yet another climb toward .500 against the 4-6 Los Angeles Rams.

After climbing to 4-4 and putting themselves back in the NFC playoff picture following an 0-3 start, the Saints have dropped their last two games in large part because of atrocious special teams play.

New Orleans lost 25-23 to the Denver Broncos two weeks ago when Wil Lutz's potential game-winning PAT was blocked and returned 84 yards for the winning two points. Then, last week against Carolina, a Lutz field goal was blocked, leading to a late first-half touchdown -- and a 10-point turnaround -- in a 23-20 loss to the Panthers.

So when Brees faces Williams' defense on Sunday, he knows he will be in for a challenge. Williams, after all, was the architect of a ball-hawking Super Bowl defense in New Orleans that forced 39 turnovers in 2009.

It was also the defense that, because of Bountygate, got head coach Sean Payton and Williams suspended for a year. The NFL ruled the Saints' defense operated a cash-for-big-hits scheme, which led to Payton's 2012 suspension.

Brees knows that the Rams, led by defensive tackle Aaron Donald and inside linebacker Alec Ogletree, are relentless in their pursuit.

56934037b0da9.image.jpg

"I know what I see on film," Brees said of the Rams defense that is allowing just 18.7 points per game. "I know that the things he has done in the past are part of his scheme. I know that he's a very good defensive coach, and I know he's going to have some things for us that we haven't seen. My philosophy going into every game is always to expect the unexpected."

Payton called Donald a rare talent. In 10 games, Donald has 31 tackles, five sacks, three passes defended and a forced fumble. Donald has collected 20 sacks since 2014.

"He might be one of the most talented interior guys there is," Payton said. "(It's) just his energy, his motor and his ability, both in the run game and the pass game to be extremely disruptive. (He's) a guy you have to plan for in both phases. You know he's going to make some plays. You hope to contain him as much as you can."

The Saints are averaging 28.5 points per game, and their defense has played more solidly in the last month. But special teams gaffes have been so bad -- the Saints have had three kicks blocked and two others deflected -- that Payton took the unusual step of hiring Kevin O'Dea, formerly of the Tampa Bay Bucs, as a special teams coaching assistant, working especially with the snapper, holder and kicker.

"We're looking to fortify the troops, not change them right now," Payton said. (O'Dea) comes with expertise in developing and training kickers."

Rams rookie Jared Goff, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2016 draft, will make his second NFL start. In the Rams' 14-10 loss to Miami last week, Goff completed 17 of 31 passes for 134 yards and ran four times for 11 yards. It will be his first road start.

1617275_1280x720.jpg

"It will be loud, that's about it," Goff said. "I think (last week's start) helped. There were a lot of things I learned, good and bad stuff. ... We still have a chance to make a run here, and it's not too late. We can do some special things if we put it together."

Rams head coach Jeff Fisher said he realizes his defense will have to continue its stellar play to give Los Angeles a chance.

79268.jpg

"We play hard, we're physical, and if you look at the points allowed and things like that, we've been doing a respectable job," Fisher said. "But when we have an offense that's struggling, the defense has to do better. And when you lose a 14-10 game and get one turnover and have hands on three balls, you have to catch one of them."

Mark Ingram was listed as questionable after going through the NFL concussion protocol last week, but he is likely to play.

"I think it's encouraging with him, and I think I've said that all along," Payton said.

Saints left tackle Terron Armstead is questionable with a knee injury.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brees thinks he's at a rock concert. :D Don't know if you can change the Miami Vita.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if you can change the Miami Vita.
:lol: I do a copy, edit and paste when generating these game threads so there is consistency in the way they look and are listed.

I guess I missed that portion of the edit.

Thanks for the heads up Coug! :thumb:

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A match up to watch might be DE Cameron Jordan vs Greg Robinson. Or maybe we don't want to watch that lol. The Rams will want to keep a TE over there to help him out. Jordan is having another very good year.

DT Nick Fairley you know will try to make an impact too.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"But when we have an offense that's struggling, the defense has to do better. And when you lose a 14-10 game and get one turnover and have hands on three balls, you have to catch one of them." Jeff Fisher

Come on now, is this a joke? I don't care how good a defense is, the offense still has to score points...You could have what people think is the best D of all time, but if your offense doesn't produce, you'll never know they were truly THAT good...

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"But when we have an offense that's struggling, the defense has to do better. And when you lose a 14-10 game and get one turnover and have hands on three balls, you have to catch one of them." Jeff Fisher

Come on now, is this a joke? I don't care how good a defense is, the offense still has to score points...You could have what people think is the best D of all time, but if your offense doesn't produce, you'll never know they were truly THAT good...
That's the mentality LT and it's very indicting, isn't it.

This is why we need to turn the corner in the Coaching Dept soon! I do think we have the players on the field right now, but lack the imagination on the offensive side of the ball to be the team that the talent has the potential to be.

(FWIW - This was one of those image-less articles I used, so like in the past, I searched for the images in the OP and added them in. I had a hard time finding an image of Fisher displayed an expression that fit what he was saying here. I thought of finding one where he looks like a buffoon, but decided just to go with the image that I did)

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the mentality LT and it's very indicting, isn't it.

This is why we need to turn the corner in the Coaching Dept soon! I do think we have the players on the field right now, but lack the imagination on the offensive side of the ball to be the team that the talent has the potential to be.

(FWIW - This was one of those image-less articles, so like in the past, I searched for the images and added them in. I had a hard time finding an image of Fisher displayed an expression that fit what he was saying here. I thought of finding one where he looks like a buffoon, but decided just to go with the image that I did)

Agreed...The longer he stays, the more he seems to show why he's about to become the head coach with the most losses in NFL history...

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed...The longer he stays, the more he seems to show why he's about to become the head coach with the most losses in NFL history...
Hey, I commend him and Les for bringing in the talent we have on the field and managing the Cap space so well, but there is no other reason why this team struggles so much on offensive outside of Fisher's offensive philosophy.

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams need to find a way to get Gurley goin. There were signs of hope in the last game, if the Saints can stop the Rams on the ground it will be a tough day for Goff.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams need to find a way to get Gurley goin. There were signs of hope in the last game, if the Saints can stop the Rams on the ground it will be a tough day for Goff.
The Saints, as the Dolphins did, will stack the box all day long unless Goff throws past 10 yards on more than an occassion.

(Which I totally don't understand. Why would you throw the ball some 30 odd times for 10 yards or less when all but 2 or 3 of the defender's, if not all, are in that same area?)

Throw the ball 15, 20 and 25 yards where all the one on one matchups will be.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Saints, as the Dolphins did, will stack the box all day long unless Goff throws past 10 yards on more than an occassion.

(Which I totally don't understand. Why would you throw the ball some 30 odd times for 10 yards or less when all but 2 or 3 of the defender's, if not all, are in that same area?)

Throw the ball 15, 20 and 25 yards where all the one on one matchups will be.

I think this O-line will play extra hard this week runblocking like they kinda did last week... These guys know they have a rookie back there and their job next year is most certainly on the line...

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the drama queen, Goff was "lights out in practice" this week. lol. So what. I don't think we have ever had that translate into game time results before because how many times have we heard that from Fisher and then watch the Rams get hammered in the game? Good news though. I guess our defense has become NFL league-leading.

Apparently, the writing-on-the-wall for a Fisher firing is becoming more frequent as speculative articles like the following continue to grow. Gruden is the obvious hands-down choice for everything thing that is happening with the Rams but he has already stated several times that his gig with T.V. is pretty sweet and he has no intention of moving back to the stress pool known as a NFL HC.

I suppose the limp biscuit could throw gobs of money at Gruden to entice him to change his mind but like everyone else on the article's list, it's pure fantasy by some bored writer. If Gruden does become the next HC, we would have to get rid of all the dumbasses on offense because Gruden's offenses are notoriously complicated and thus deadly. His discipline is legendary as well, something we desparately need.

We shall see what transpires as we will probably end this year with yet another losing season and with our number one going to the tittans next year, the next coach will have to contend with that mess. See for yourself.

Jon Gruden, best candidates for Rams to replace Fisher if coach fired

Last edited:

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will they allow Goff to throw deep? LOL...yah I know, probably not! Because that means he will have to hold onto the ball longer.

I guess nowadays the norm is to play conservative and make the inexperienced qb throw 3yard dink passes to gain experience. In no way shape or form are they trying to gain a 1st down by playing in this manner. He is already playing out of the shotgun, so you would think that he has a few extra seconds to scan the field or judge where the pressure is coming from. Last week, with the conditions that he played in, I thought Goff handled himself well against a good d-line in poor weather. What do I expect this week? Our game plan will remain the same. More dink passes that result in 3 and outs! :L This team needs an offensive minded coach badly, :hope: say like Norv Turner to help the kid out! I seen enough of this Fisher ball bs.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throwing dink and dunk passes does get you experience throwing four-yard passes. It does little for the deeper passing game and the same goes for the WRs and the O-line. The deeper passing game requires that you actually throw deep passes during a game so that those dynamics become second nature and the entire offense is on the same page. If obtaining deep passing game experience is the goal, why would you not include putting more points on the board and, Almighty forbid, actually stringing wins together. Think of all the other young QBs and their development. Did they throw alot of 3-4 yard passes? I doubt it. No, they went deep within there offensive strategy as often as possible.

Last edited:

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the drama queen, Goff was "lights out in practice" this week. lol. So what. I don't think we have ever had that translate into game time results before because how many times have we heard that from Fisher and then watch the Rams get hammered in the game? Good news though. I guess our defense has become NFL league-leading.

Apparently, the writing-on-the-wall for a Fisher firing is becoming more frequent as speculative articles like the following continue to grow. Gruden is the obvious hands-down choice for everything thing that is happening with the Rams but he has already stated several times that his gig with T.V. is pretty sweet and he has no intention of moving back to the stress pool known as a NFL HC.

I suppose the limp biscuit could throw gobs of money at Gruden to entice him to change his mind but like everyone else on the article's list, it's pure fantasy by some bored writer. If Gruden does become the next HC, we would have to get rid of all the dumbasses on offense because Gruden's offenses are notoriously complicated and thus deadly. His discipline is legendary as well, something we desparately need.

We shall see what transpires as we will probably end this year with yet another losing season and with our number one going to the tittans next year, the next coach will have to contend with that mess. See for yourself.

Jon Gruden, best candidates for Rams to replace Fisher if coach fired

#worst list ever

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robinson a healthy scratch? I guess they didn't like that matchup with Jordan :eek: Why they don't move this guy to guard is beyond me? unless he's just that dumb which might be the case. Its official. Bust! Donnal to start I'm guessing.

Last edited:

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Saffold will move to LT. Brown to LG. That makes more sense. I just don't get it.... Did Robinson practice all week? Something must of happened. Or Fisher just realized Robinson vs Jordan might not be idea lol. I think our OL just got better.

Last edited:

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe a little light bulb lit up in his tiny brain, realizing Robinson stinks

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Third down Goff,

This is the down where the big boys make their money!