• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looking back at the Lovie Smith Decision...

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Bears playing their former coach this week- and ESPN's article about the Pros & Cons of the decision to replace Smith I thought I'd bring it to the board.
Here's the ESPN article:
Pros and cons of Bears' decision to fire Lovie Smith in 2012
ESPN doesn't really go into much detail after they list their points, I thought I would tackle some of the finer points. (*hey I've got the time now...and it's freakin raining)
What are your thoughts...as they say hidesite is 20/20

The abyss of OC's that Lovie brought in... ESPN goes on to list the names. What made me laugh is that the national narrative has been that "Jay Cutler is the coach killer" If Lovie was indeed brought back after 2012 he likely would have had to replace Tice... I simply doubt that anyone worth anything would have joined a sinking last chance season with the new GM (Emery) looking to bring in his own guy anyway. It likely would have been a one year deal. And yet another OC change for Cutler and company.
They hadn't made the playoffs in the past 5 seasons. And Lovie's act had worn thin with fans. It was simply time to move on. (moving on to Trestman was of course the WRONG move with Bruce Arians sitting in wait..but that's a different conversation)

Record/Injuries: The idea that this was a "10 WIN TEAM!!"... It's likely Lovie would have brought back Urlacher on a short contract. I truly don't think BU would have made that defense any better than it was. He probably deserved to go out on his own terms, but I think he would have joined the DL, Briggs, Peanut and others on the IR that season. That team was decimated by injuries and Brain wouldn't have been the difference.
For Offense... Olin & Garza? They lost Cutler for much of the season- where the "magic of McCown" became known... There is NO CHANCE in hell that McCown goes 13/1 TD to INT ratio with Lovie & Tice? as his coaches. Lovie Smith would not have won the 8 games that Trestman did... and would have been fired anyway. IMO

Lovie Smith got lucky... he took his year off, made $5+ million and was still thought of as a good coach. Thus getting the Tampa job. I feel that if he was kept for 2013 with that roster, and likely MORE of "his" guys Conte/Major Wright... I'm not sure he's given the Tampa job after watching his "great" defense get old and slow. The thought at the time the defense was collapsing was "Lovie wouldn't have let the D get this bad" and maybe they would have been slightly better than what Idiot Mel Tucker did...but the talent level, age and poor drafting would have affected Lovie Smith just as it did Mel Tucker. I'm guessing that he wouldn't have been hired as Tampa coach if that happened.

Conclusion: It was the right decision to let Lovie go at the time... They should have hired Arians, or ANYONE other than Trestman. But letting Lovie go was the right move for all involved.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tampa Bay currently... Enough said.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never blamed Lovie for our offensive problems. The GM was horrible and no good OCs would come here to coach a talent less offense with a GM who could not draft. I think what Lovie did here with no offense was better then most could have. I would have liked to kept Lovie and replaced the GM, who in my opinion was the real problem. I called it the minute we drafted Shea, Lovie is gone the next year. We used a first on a guy Lovie did not want and did not fit Lovie's system. I knew Tdog and mother Tucker were gonna fail in spectacular fasion. I did have some hope for Phil and liked the way he was always doing something. It was not boring with Phil.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
only coach I miss from the era is Ron Rivera.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tampa Bay currently... Enough said.

Yeah... no...

That defense has become pretty damn good, and the offense. Under a rookie QB has had some big games as well.

I'd say Lovie is doing a fine job.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... no...

That defense has become pretty damn good, and the offense. Under a rookie QB has had some big games as well.

I'd say Lovie is doing a fine job.
Time will tell, but with that pretty good D, thanks to years of high draft picks, they were still no better than our Bears and their lack of talent Defence and a badly banged up Offense.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time will tell, but with that pretty good D, thanks to years of high draft picks, they were still no better than our Bears and their lack of talent Defence and a badly banged up Offense.
If Winston pans out Lovie will be fine and if Winston flames out so will Lovie.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Winston pans out Lovie will be fine and if Winston flames out so will Lovie.

100% accurate. His future is in the hands of Jameis Winston, who I am personally pretty high on. We'll see how he progresses next year. Had a great rookie season, IMO. Statistically better than Luck's.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
only coach I miss from the era is Ron Rivera.

It amazes me that the decision to force him out doesn't get more hate from Bears fans. Rivera built that Super Bowl team, they got rid of him, and we never won more than 9 games in the next three years. He then builds a #1 defense in San Diego and he builds a #1 defense in Carolina and goes 15-1 a couple years later.

I don't know how a Bears fan could even look at Lovie knowing he was behind that.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how anyone can look at his high-wasted pants and that perpetual, "Did-I-just-fart-look" on his face?

C

cubzzzfanincali

Lovie is building a pretty good team down there. They have their flaws, but I would trade rosters with them in a heartbeat.

Lovie had sort of worn out his welcome, it appears, but the core problem the Bears have had the last several years is due to bad GM decisions, particularly in the draft and trades relating to draft picks. Don't yet know if Pace has changed that, but the deep fundamental sickness in the Bears roster is mostly due the the front office. Love Smith became a side show, it is a discussion mostly beside the point.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lovie is building a pretty good team down there. They have their flaws, but I would trade rosters with them in a heartbeat.

Lovie had sort of worn out his welcome, it appears, but the core problem the Bears have had the last several years is due to bad GM decisions, particularly in the draft and trades relating to draft picks. Don't yet know if Pace has changed that, but the deep fundamental sickness in the Bears roster is mostly due the the front office. Love Smith became a side show, it is a discussion mostly beside the point.

I agree, but I will say, that he wasted Urlacher's career IMO. I know our D was was awesome, but Urlacher was better under Jauron IMO. Just my $0.02

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well... this will piss people off but, Urlacher had his shot at a Superbowl. And pissed down his leg by giving up 191 rushing yards, along with the rest of Ron Rivera's Defense. Bring on the Defensive Apologists!!!
All Hale Rex Grossman!!! <was that over the top. Ha.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% accurate. His future is in the hands of Jameis Winston, who I am personally pretty high on. We'll see how he progresses next year. Had a great rookie season, IMO. Statistically better than Luck's.

This was why alot of people wer surprised with Lovies firing yesterday. Maybe they thought Winston would end up making them feel the need to keep Lovie around?

Dont know what GM's want, fiery coaches like Harbarough not welcome in San Francisco. 1890 cowboy picture looking Lovie, not welcome, maybe Lovie fits in San Francisco, although they are probably looking for a cheaper option now since they have three years to pay Tomasulo.

Last edited:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was why alot of people wer surprised with Lovies firing yesterday. Maybe they thought Winston would end up making them feel the need to keep Lovie around?

Dont know what GM's want, fiery coaches like Harbarough not welcome in San Francisco. 1890 cowboy picture looking Lovie, not welcome, maybe Lovie fits in San Francisco, although they are probably looking for a cheaper option now since they have three years to pay Tomasulo.

Yeah, I don't know. That firing sure took me by surprise. TB was a complete mess when he took over, and I thought he had them doing some good things.

I guess that's just the nature of the NFL today. Can't go 8-24 in your first two seasons and stick around. I don't think that was fair to Lovie though. I'd sure like to take that job if I'm a head coach for hire.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the quote I heard repeated from the owner of the tampa bay bucs was simply "he had long enough".

I agree, next head coach will get some credit Lovie deserved for righting the ship.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard this morning that Lovie Smith is going to be announced as the new head football coach at the University or Illinois later today.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, Confirmed- Lovie Smith is new Head Coach of University of Illinois.

I kinda like it, U of I was never going to persuade any of the big name college coaches and Lovie does have good report with his players- they all seem to like him.
I'm not sure what type of offense he's going to run, but I bet his cover 2 4/3 can succeed in college. As long as he can contain the spread options that he's going to see every week. Interesting. Word is that he wouldn't get another shot in the NFL anytime soon anyway- and his Defense is kinda played out in the NFL now. Good man, a solid name for a floundering program. Good Luck Lovie.