• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LOL @ this failure of an article

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was written hours before the Nebraska/Colorado game.

Big-12 has no clear favorite this season
by: JD Hershberger

Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Baylor, and even Colorado.

You could conceivably come to the conclusion that that list is merely the Big-12 teams minus ISU, OU, TT, and Nebraska. But I assure you, this is a much more specific list. This is the list of the teams that could potentially win the Big-12 this men’s basketball season.

Okay, so maybe some of those listed are a stretch, but the fact I’m trying to point out is that the Big-12 is more than just wide open this season; it’s going to be a dogfight. With underdogs to regular contenders alike giving us reasons why they should take the conference, there doesn’t seem to be a clear favorite this season, even with KU boasting the number 2 ranking in the nation.

Let’s take a look at how these teams stack up with my revised men’s basketball divisions...

Favorites

These four teams have shown the ability to succeed consistently, and have separated themselves as the teams to beat for the conference crown.

1. Kansas (18-0, 3-0). The Jayhawks are the deepest, most talented, and best coached team. Not to mention the fact that they’re the defending Big-12 champs with an undefeated record. The Morris twins have made KU a team to be feared for good reason, but inconsistencies from their guards have caused some home games that were too close for comfort. Clearly they are the favorite for the title. What a shocker.

2. Texas A&M (16-1, 3-0). I’ve always said that Mark Turgeon is a coach who deserves a lot of credit for whenever his teams have success, and this year’s squad is certainly no exception. The Aggies have pulled off 13 straight wins, their only loss coming from Boston College, and are poised for a strong Big-12 run with their hot start in conference play. Remember, this is the last team to upset KU in Lawrence, and the Aggies' trip to Allen Fieldhouse might see lightning strike again.

3. Texas (14-3, 2-0). A tough non-conference stretch has put the Longhorns a little behind their fellow favorites in overall record, but be prepared to see UT make a nice bounce back from last season’s meltdown. This scrappy squad may not feature many big names, but this year’s team has what last year’s didn’t—chemistry.

4. Missouri (16-3, 2-2). The Aggies and Buffs have broken their hearts so far, but resilient wins over NU and KSU have shown me that the Tigers are still a contender for the crown. Some injury problems have slowed down MU a bit, but I still expect these gritty Tigers to string a couple of upsets together, with one of them possibly being against their hated rivals from Lawrence.

Potentially Dangerous

The next four teams all have the talent to make some noise and are hardly surprise candidates for upsets, but they all need put it together to make a real run at a crown.

5. Colorado (14-4, 3-0). Wait…are they really 3-0 in Big-12 play? That literally hasn’t happened before, so I wouldn’t blame you if you didn’t see a new coach take the Buffs to these heights that still don’t seem to register as realistic. Still, here CU is, and with wins over MU, KSU, and OSU they certainly look like a team that could do some damage.

6. Oklahoma State (13-4, 1-2). Can’t say that I saw this coming either. Without any recognizable stars, or obvious reasons why they should succeed, it didn’t look like the Cowboys would this season. But of course, we couldn’t really have a good Big-12 season without OSU could we? They need a spark though to bounce back from consecutive losses.

7. Baylor (12-5, 2-2). One the one hand, they have LaceDarious Dunn, Quincy Acy, and Perry Jones, plus their only home loss is to Kansas. On the other hand, their only legitimate win was over Arizona State, and they were embarrassed by Iowa St. As far as I’m concerned, these Bears are still a mystery to me.

8. Kansas State (13-6, 1-3). Apparently, having Jacob Pullen and no consistent help anywhere else doesn’t win games for you in the Big-12. What a surprise. Still though, these Wildcats have the makings to still be a factor in the conference race if they can find a true PG, and if they can get some consistency from their big men.

Not in this conference

Finally, we commemorate the four teams that might be able to make some noise if they were in, say, the Pac-10 or SEC. But as the name of this division implies, that just isn’t good enough to contend for this conference title.

9. Nebraska (13-4, 1-2). Now, I know what you’re thinking: “You put Colorado so high, so why can’t you put some faith in this team?" I’ll give you two reasons—one, if karma exists, then it’ll prevent the Cornhuskers from getting to the NCAA tournament, and two, the best win the Huskers have this season is a close race between Iowa State and USC. Reason two obviously carries a bit more weight.

10. Iowa State (14-4, 1-2). Okay, maybe I’ve been a bit harsh on the Cyclones and Huskers, but they’re both in the same boat, if you ask me. Both have put together some gritty performances, but unlike those in any real contention, they don’t have any signature wins, and they don’t have any players who can fuel them to a serious run. Oh, well, ISU. You’ll always have that win over Virginia.

Tied for 12. Oklahoma (8-9, 0-3) and Texas Tech (8-10, 0-3). Oh, Big-12 teams with losing records, you do amuse me. I do realize that they should really be “tied for 11,” but I couldn’t give them that much credit. This might sound a little nit-picky of me, but I rarely say many good things about teams that don’t have any real talent or ability. Oh, well.

What to watch for: Look out for Wednesday night’s matchup between Texas and Texas A&M. It’s a great rivalry and a relevant game. It’s a two-for-one deal!

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy just jumps on board with whatever looks likely..........here we were 3 games into conference play and he came to the conclusion that Colorado is in a completely different league than Nebraska just because they were 3-0.

Interesting........I wasn't even sure Colorado was playing at times tonight we made them look so bad.

Do I think we're gonna win the conference? Probably not........the odds are obviously very much against us. But at this point in the season, if you're already going to say Colorado, Oklahoma State, Baylor, and Kansas State can all win it.......then Nebraska can win it.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more thing I just thought of while laying down.........the guy says "if karma exists, it will stop Nebraska from making the tournament."

What.....because we're leaving for the Big 10??? What the shit has the Nebraska basketball program ever done to deserve bad karma???? If anything we deserve the kinda karma that would take us to the fuckin final four

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska's gonna have to win a couple of road games to finish 8-8 overall in conference. Which is what it's going to take to get into the tournament. I doubt they win all 6 of their remaining home games. Colorado was a must win (@ home) and this is going to be a season of must wins. If Nebraska can get to 4-2 then we'll be talking, but even 3-3 after the next two games and Nebraska will be in the same boat. If they're sitting @ 3-5 after the Kansas game it's gonna be tough.

Like baseball, basketball is a game of peaks and valleys. I hate to be negative because I like Doc, but how do we know this isn't the best Nebraska is going to be all season and they haven't had a valley yet. Sure the second half of the schedule looks easier than the first half, but will the team still have legs by then? There are a lot of different factors and I'm not going to set myself up for disappointment again. The fact that they play hard and disciplined though is enough to get me to enjoy watching them, it's just that my expectations will be kept in check.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I will keep my expectations in check for now as well....................national championship here we come baby!