• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let's Talk Dan Campbell

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The jury has decided that case, has it? You're putting a lot of faith in Matt Eberflus. He is on record as staunchly defending Fields in the OC interviews...so he sees it your way.

So this is where I say you should put a Matt Eberflus statue in that backyard too?

yes. Tear down the Halas and Ditka statues for Eberflaus...how do we spell that we need to get this right

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone defending the way he coached that 2nd half is as dense as he is. Don't fall for that hubris BS. You're ahead 24-7. Not behind 24-7. He did as much to lose a game as a coach possibly can. I really want to fire him this morning.

Sure Campbell took so questionable gambles that didn't pay off.

But he can't be blamed for the two dropped passed in 3rd by the same Lions wr or the TD pass that went through the hands of another wr in the 4th.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had 2 kickers in the preseason. Both sucked. They kept one. Part way through the season they cut the one they kept and brought the other guy back. I don't think Campbell would ever throw his players under the bus, but I don't think he has any confidence in his Kicker at all. And I think that plays more of a role in his decision making than people know.

Definitely not 100% of the reason but he is already an aggressive guy and I think that pushes him over the edge.

I believe the analytics is pretty clear that going for it on 4th down is almost always the right call anyways though. So without using hindsight and revisionist history or having your results color your perception of his decision making I'm still not sure it was the wrong call. Although I have been against a lot of his calls personally, I still trust him to run this team.

Full stop. No caveats to that statement or anything.

Except that the analytics are just odds based on generalities. Clearly it was a failed choice yesterday. The shifted momentum was damaging.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What game were you watching? They were up 10 when they passed on the first FG and down 3 on the second.

They were up 14, not 10. Much worse.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't really blame him for the first 4th down call--b/c being aggressive is the horse that got them to where they are--but that 4th and 3 move was crazy imo (even if the WR did drop the perfectly thrown ball).

Personally, I'm much more of a "it's the playoffs on the road, take the points" kind of HC. Pad your lead. Count on the defense that has done well so far. But that's just me.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goff made two bad throws on 4th down

Wrong time for him to do so.
First one isn’t a bad throw. He’s throwing him open into the only window in which he can complete a pass based upon the inside leverage of the defender. An NFL WR had to make that catch on a 4th down.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair to you...Dan Campbell being fired is a ludicrous suggestion. He's not going to be fired. Not even close.

Exactly.

But he should be forced to take some math classes during the offseason to, ya know, exercise his brain a little bit.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still waiting for an answer. Would Belichick go for it on 4th with a 2 score lead on the road in the second half of a playoff game?
Not likely. Belicheck and Campbell have different styles in the way they run and coach their team. When a guy gets his chance to be a head coach in the NFL he has to be himself. You take the good with the bad. Campbell, right or wrong, was the same guy he has always been as a head coach yesterday.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure Campbell took so questionable gambles that didn't pay off.

But he can't be blamed for the two dropped passed in 3rd by the same Lions wr or the TD pass that went through the hands of another wr in the 4th.

This is a weird take in my opinion. You take the three points staring you in the face because it's possible that your WR might drop a pass or two or some other fluke shit might happen.

You take the three points to extend your lead every time.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stakes, you are the king of propping up things that shouldn't be.

Dan Campbell has a sub-.500 record as a coach and you want to build him a statue?!? LOL. Yes, put it in your backyard next to the one you have of Justin Fields.
Campbell’s teams have improved every year. His head coaching record is useless in evaluating him and the job he’s doing. He inherited a dog shit situation and in year 3 had them in the NFC Championship game. He’s done a great job and is a tremendous head coach.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't really blame him for the first 4th down call--b/c being aggressive is the horse that got them to where they are--but that 4th and 3 move was crazy imo (even if the WR did drop the perfectly thrown ball).

Personally, I'm much more of a "it's the playoffs on the road, take the points" kind of HC. Pad your lead. Count on the defense that has done well so far. But that's just me.
No, that wasn't the 4th & 3 play. It was a bad pass on the run. Receiver didn't have a chance.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, that wasn't the 4th down play. 4th & 3 play was a bad pass on the run. Receiver didn't have a chance.
Sounds like I'm getting my 4th down plays mixed up.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Campbell’s teams have improved every year. His head coaching record is useless in evaluating him and the job he’s doing. He inherited a dog shit situation and in year 3 had them in the NFC Championship game. He’s done a great job and is a tremendous head coach.

You better be tickling Eberflus' balls next season when we dominate the NFC....despite Justin Fields only throwing for 1,900 yards.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You better be tickling Eberflus' balls next season when we dominate the NFC....despite Justin Fields only throwing for 1,900 yards.
No thanks. I’m not a Midwestern queer.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like I'm getting my 4th down plays mixed up.
You may be thinking of the wide open drop by Reynolds as he was streaking across the field. That was a 3rd down play in the 3rd quarter.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a weird take in my opinion. You take the three points staring you in the face because it's possible that your WR might drop a pass or two or some other fluke shit might happen.

You take the three points to extend your lead every time.

It's not a weird take. A coach can't be blamed for dropped passes.

That's why I said Campbell took some questionable gambles that didn't pay off.

But I agree take the points!! What a bad decision.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Campbell is partially to blame for the Lions loss, I have no doubt. Twice he passed up on FGs and the game wouldve been drastically different if they had just gotten 3 more points. He was way too reckless. He isn’t solely to blame, the defense collapsed and got gashed pretty bad in the second half, they had no answer for the Niners offense, but Campbell‘s decision making definitely played a role in their loss.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First one isn’t a bad throw. He’s throwing him open into the only window in which he can complete a pass based upon the inside leverage of the defender. An NFL WR had to make that catch on a 4th down.

Nah. It was too low and too far away

It wasn’t the throw Mahomes made to Kelce in game 1

That is throwing a guy open