• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let's be honest, Kobe is the Greatest Of All Time

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow

Shumpert, Mozgov and Smith

a combined 14/21 and 9/13 on 3's- along with great defense.....

you get that kinda support from your role players and its gonna be a good night. Jr Smith has looked phenomenal. The game is SOO easy for him playing with LeBron and Kyrie and Love- he basically gets tons of open looks- and has no pressure on him.....great get from Griffin thus far

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe also has a huge stat where he stands alone in NBA history. 30,000 points and 6,000 assists. Think of all of the great players in NBA history. Guys who could score and pass with the best of them and only Kobe has reached that level.

It says a lot when you are the only guy to do something like that. Of course, it also says that you're old and have played a long time. :lol:

Kobe's longevity is totally insane.

His mental toughness is definitely superior to LeBron's.

LeBron definitely is more of a team guy though- and i think both of those attitudes are not coincidences. Kobe definitely has more Michael while LEbron has more Magic as far as their state of minds

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LeBron definitely is more of a team guy though- and i think both of those attitudes are not coincidences. Kobe definitely has more Michael while LEbron has more Magic as far as their state of minds

+1

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, his Mercenary tendencies gives me reason to pause.

But, his numbers will likely stack up to give his fanboys reason to believe he is in the same class.

No question his numbers will stand up. If he plays long enough, he may even join Kobe in the 30,000 point/6,000 assist club. But whether folks agree with it or not, he'll get dinged for the mercenary stuff.

Timmy and Kobe stayed with their teams through thick and thin (fortunately for them, it's been mostly thick) and MJ won't have his time with the Wizards counted against him because it's not as if they were contenders.

Had Lebron stayed in Cleveland and won 3 or 4 titles (or if he does this time) then I think he would be in the convo. But anything less than 3 for the rest of his career will leave him on the outside looking in, imo.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we get a top 3-4 pick and select Emmanuel Mudiay. That kid is going to be very good. Plus, a max free agent/borderline max guy and a player in the 8-10 million range and sign some of our own free agents.

Mudiay and Clarkson would be a really nice backcourt once Kobe retires.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we get a top 3-4 pick and select Emmanuel Mudiay. That kid is going to be very good. Plus, a max free agent/borderline max guy and a player in the 8-10 million range and sign some of our own free agents.

Mudiay and Clarkson would be a really nice backcourt once Kobe retires.

I don't think Mudiay will fall lower than #2 unless all the top 3 Teams have their pg of the future.

I think the top 3 picks will be Okafor, Mudiay and Towns in that order.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clarkson's playing well, he's going to benefit a lot from Kobe sitting out. The kid is going to be a steal from that draft.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree 100%. I don't even really count Lebron not having the mental toughness of guys like Kobe and MJ against him. I don't because Kobe and MJ's level of competitiveness could probably qualify as a mental illness, it's so over the top.

I heard a former NBA player in an interview, I don't remember who it was (might have been Reggie Miller, but not sure) and he gave a pretty good description of the biggest difference between Kobe and Lebron when it comes to mental toughness.

He said: "Kobe genuinely doesn't care what people think about him. All he cares about is winning. Lebron cares about winning, but he also genuinely wants people to like him. Doing what has to be done to win and people liking you doesn't always work."

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Mudiay will fall lower than #2 unless all the top 3 Teams have their pg of the future.

I think the top 3 picks will be Okafor, Mudiay and Towns in that order.

Yeah, I'd love to see the Lakers get Mudiay. If the Lakers get the #1 pick, I think I'd rather see them take Mudiay over Okafor and then go after Monroe or Marc Gasol in FA.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No question his numbers will stand up. If he plays long enough, he may even join Kobe in the 30,000 point/6,000 assist club. But whether folks agree with it or not, he'll get dinged for the mercenary stuff.

Timmy and Kobe stayed with their teams through thick and thin (fortunately for them, it's been mostly thick) and MJ won't have his time with the Wizards counted against him because it's not as if they were contenders.

Had Lebron stayed in Cleveland and won 3 or 4 titles (or if he does this time) then I think he would be in the convo. But anything less than 3 for the rest of his career will leave him on the outside looking in, imo.

I think there is something to that- however- I think if he gets to 5 MVP's that is a very substantial number and really cannot be ignored as a type of tie-breaker- that would be 2 more than Duncan and Kobe combined- really amazing when you think about

Durant is out of the MVP race this year one would think. Kyle Lowery was up there but the Raptors have really struggled. I dont see a Hawk like Horford or Teague winning it since that is more team oriented. Chris Paul has not looked like a league MVP this year. Forget about Rose- and Jimmy Butler is not happening.

Steph Curry? is that LeBron's main competition? Anthony Davis? maybe some dark horses in Harden and Lillard and Marc Gasol?

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe also has a huge stat where he stands alone in NBA history. 30,000 points and 6,000 assists. Think of all of the great players in NBA history. Guys who could score and pass with the best of them and only Kobe has reached that level.

It says a lot when you are the only guy to do something like that. Of course, it also says that you're old and have played a long time. :lol:

I guess I kinda look at it like the Malone vs. Duncan debate.

Malone's scoring numbers dwarf Timmy's. But, I still think Tiiiimy is the greatest power forward in History.

That's not a great example because they are easier to compare having played the same position.

or....

It simply could be that if I have another legit option, I choose that over Kobe:L

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 100%. I don't even really count Lebron not having the mental toughness of guys like Kobe and MJ against him. I don't because Kobe and MJ's level of competitiveness could probably qualify as a mental illness, it's so over the top.

I heard a former NBA player in an interview, I don't remember who it was (might have been Reggie Miller, but not sure) and he gave a pretty good description of the biggest difference between Kobe and Lebron when it comes to mental toughness.

He said: "Kobe genuinely doesn't care what people think about him. All he cares about is winning. Lebron cares about winning, but he also genuinely wants people to like him. Doing what has to be done to win and people liking you doesn't always work."

I think everything you said is true.

that mental toughness that borders on illness as you said allowed Kobe and Jordan to be who they are- who are both among the greatest of all time

LeBron does not have it on that level no doubt- but no one would question that LeBron is definitely the best teammate of the 3 and raises other guys games the most.

I mean- as far as accomplishments go- the fact that the Cavs made the 2007-2008 (i think it was that year...eitehr that or 06-07)- Finals- with his best supporting players being Delonte West, Z, a raw Varejao, and a rookie Boobie Gibson.....that team won a ton of games and probably had the worst overall roster ofa any team in Finals history.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'd love to see the Lakers get Mudiay. If the Lakers get the #1 pick, I think I'd rather see them take Mudiay over Okafor and then go after Monroe or Marc Gasol in FA.

Yes. :agree:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the Lakers get a top pick, get Randle back, get Kobe healthy- and sign 2 very good free agents- they could compete in the West for a middle playoff spot probably-

the thing that is tough is relying on 2 rookies who would both be 21 years old or younger.

realistically say they sign Monroe and a good point- which they need. What position does this Mudiay guy play?

I really paid close attention to the college game the last few seasons when the Cavs had a huge interest there- but not so much this season becuse of how crazy the Cavs level of interest, notoriety etc. has been.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is something to that- however- I think if he gets to 5 MVP's that is a very substantial number and really cannot be ignored as a type of tie-breaker- that would be 2 more than Duncan and Kobe combined- really amazing when you think about

Durant is out of the MVP race this year one would think. Kyle Lowery was up there but the Raptors have really struggled. I dont see a Hawk like Horford or Teague winning it since that is more team oriented. Chris Paul has not looked like a league MVP this year. Forget about Rose- and Jimmy Butler is not happening.

Steph Curry? is that LeBron's main competition? Anthony Davis? maybe some dark horses in Harden and Lillard and Marc Gasol?

It's one hell of an accomplishment.

But, you have to remember that perception is reality.

Lebron is seen as the type of guy that likes to take the path of least resistance.

Fair or not, that is the reality of the situation.

FYI- I think it's Curry's to lose this Season.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he was in prison.....Hill would be getting his shit pushed in. :L

He's getting owned tonight.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Middle playoff spot? In the fucking West? If they did what was mentioned, they'd be a 7-8 seed, at best.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ohh ok- so Mudiay plays point

so lets see- after the draft what do they look for assumign they draft this Mudiay guy

PG- Mudiay
SG- Kobe
SF-?
PF- Randle
C- Hill

significant bench players- only Nick Young-SG

take them or give them away bench guys- Sacre-C, Kelly- PF

you DEFINITELY need a couple good wing players- MOST importantly a SF....

so- who are the possible options out there for a starting big man, and a starting SF- because it would be nice to push Randle or Hill to the bench and add a big time quality big man

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clarkson would take a significant bench role on that team.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I kinda look at it like the Malone vs. Duncan debate.

Malone's scoring numbers dwarf Timmy's. But, I still think Tiiiimy is the greatest power forward in History.

That's not a great example because they are easier to compare having played the same position.

or....

It simply could be that if I have another legit option, I choose that over Kobe:L

Agree 100% on the bolded.

I totally understand about Kobe. I was NEVER an MJ fan and that's part of why I take Magic as GOAT over him even though I know that I'm in the extreme minority and even Magic disagrees with me.