• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let's be honest, Kobe is the Greatest Of All Time

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,101.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rondo didn't show me anything tonight. DRose played well and moved without the ball. Rose had that quick first step. I think he's pacing himself.

Bulls have a huge line up with Snell butler Noah Gasol. If Rose keeps attacking the rim, look out.

Rose can still ball. Watch out for the Bulls once the playoffs roll around.

Before the season, I predicted the Bulls vs the Wizards in the ECF and the Bulls vs the Grizzlies in the Finals. It's looking good so far.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,101.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Lebron and magic comparison must be based on height. Magic had court vision only guys like pistol Pete, bird and Stockton had. D Williams had it early in his career. Lebron had magic's size, but that's it. Lebron is quicker and jumps higher, but magic had eyes in the back of his head and was a smart player.

Just because Lebron wants to pass first, doesn't make him like magic.

No, but they are similar and it's not an awful comparison.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Lebron and magic comparison must be based on height. Magic had court vision only guys like pistol Pete, bird and Stockton had. D Williams had it early in his career. Lebron had magic's size, but that's it. Lebron is quicker and jumps higher, but magic had eyes in the back of his head and was a smart player.

I agree that Magic had better court vision and a higher basketball i.q., but to say that the similarities between Magic and Lebron begins and ends with height, is just wrong.

Magic averaged 19.5 points per game and 11.2 assists per game while Lebron averages 27.5 points per game and 6.9 assists per game. That averages to each of them being responsible for roughly 42 points of their teams points per game.

Magic's passing skills were needed more than his scoring by those Lakers teams while Lebron's teams have needed his scoring more. I would bet that if Lebron had the scoring options that Magic did, his numbers would match Magic's much more closely.

I'd also bet that if Magic's scoring was needed like Lebron's has been, his stats would look more like Lebron's.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to choose between Magic and Lebron - that is a no brainer considering that Magic has five championships, went to the finals 8 times out of 10 if memory serves me right and was on the most dominant team in the NBA for ten years or more in that era Lebron has had a reputation of quitting in the 4th quarter and while he is a terrific player is NO MAGIC JOHNSON OR KOBE BRYANT OR MICHAEL JORDAN just to name a few. He is considerably lower with his two championships of which one was gained on pure luck.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,101.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt, Magic was a better player.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Clearly, you missed the point.

TF12 said Magic is a better comparison to Lebron than Jordan or Kobe.

Nobody implied that he was the same player.

Both guys were capable of guarding all 5 positions on the court for small periods, both guys could clean the boards, both guys could dominate the game by doing more than just scoring and both guys natural inclination was to facilitate first, rather than score.

Kobe nor MJ shared all of those characteristics.

So, debating Lebron's place in History against those 2 guys is unfair. They were totally different.

FYI- For all of Lebron's physical tools, Magic > 3 Lebron's based solely on Heart and Desire.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a joke of a thread right, if not he is smoking some of that whacky stuff.

Im a Kobe fan and I have high on my list and way ahead of LBJ but he isn't #1 and not really close. Lakers haven't been relevant in about 3-4 years.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Magic had better court vision and a higher basketball i.q., but
to say that the similarities between Magic and Lebron begins and ends with
height, is just wrong.

Magic averaged 19.5 points per game and 11.2
assists per game while Lebron averages 27.5 points per game and 6.9 assists per
game. That averages to each of them being responsible for roughly 42 points of
their teams points per game.

Magic's passing skills were needed more
than his scoring by those Lakers teams while Lebron's teams have needed his
scoring more. I would bet that if Lebron had the scoring options that Magic did,
his numbers would match Magic's much more closely.

I'd also bet that if
Magic's scoring was needed like Lebron's has been, his stats would look more
like Lebron's.

I guess when comparing them on paper yes. But given the eye test, very different. Magic was just a ridiculous distributor of the bball. Lebron is more of a scorer. I have seen both play live.

So yeah on paper, I guess I can see the similarities.. But watching them actually play the way they play to get those numbers, they were quite different.

Both guys were capable of guarding all 5 positions on the court for small
periods, both guys could clean the boards, both guys could dominate the game by
doing more than just scoring and both guys natural inclination was to facilitate
first, rather than score.

Kobe nor MJ shared all of those
characteristics.

Yeah because of height. Pippen could also defend all 3 positions as well. I think Lebrona and Pippen is a much better comparison. Lebron was more Batman and Pippen was more Robin, but as style of players at the SF position, I think that's a better comparison.

I was quite drank as drank when I posted these btw. :whistle:

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody will ever be like Magic.

The Big O was Magic before Magic was Magic. Robertson had a helluva career. The only player to ever average a trip-dub for an entire season...30.8 ppg, 12.5 rebs & 11.4 asts back in '61-'62.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah you average a triple double, that's redonk. Would have loved to see him play. I was about 2 when he was playing.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess when comparing them on paper yes. But given the eye test, very different. Magic was just a ridiculous distributor of the bball. Lebron is more of a scorer. I have seen both play live.

So yeah on paper, I guess I can see the similarities.. But watching them actually play the way they play to get those numbers, they were quite different.

Yeah because of height. Pippen could also defend all 3 positions as well. I think Lebrona and Pippen is a much better comparison. Lebron was more Batman and Pippen was more Robin, but as style of players at the SF position, I think that's a better comparison.

Disagree. I have also seen both play live and the similarities between their skill sets and what they do are unmistakable. They are both excellent ball handlers, both excellent passers, both could score from pretty much anywhere on the floor, and both are excellent at providing whatever their teams need on a game to game basis. In fact, they both even had the same weakness early in their career (below average outside shots) and both worked to improve that aspect.

The Lakers mainly needed Magic to distribute the ball. He had excellent scorers around him, but they needed someone to make sure the ball was distributed in a way that kept everyone happy, so that's what Magic provided. On those occasions when they needed him to step up and score more, he was able to do that.

Lebron has never had the scoring options that Magic had, not even in Miami. However, when he has had players around him who could score his assists have gone up. His last year in Cleveland (the first time), 3 of the 4 years in Miami and this current Cavs team, have him at his highest assist averages ranging from 7.2 to 8.2 apg.

For me, it's like this:

Kobe is the closest thing we've seen to MJ since MJ, but he ain't MJ. Lebron is the closest thing we've seen to Magic since Magic, but he ain't Magic.:suds:

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah you average a triple double, that's redonk. Would have loved to see him play. I was about 2 when he was playing.

Wish I could have seen him play as well. I was also about 2 when his HOF career ended in '74.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, Pip was an awesome defender.

But, like you said, he could guard 3 positions.

Magic and Bron could/can guard 5....in spurts.

No worries about the drank.

It's fun to debate and we are all entitled to our opinion:suds:

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. I have also seen both play live and the similarities between their
skill sets and what they do are unmistakable. They are both excellent ball
handlers, both excellent passers, both could score from pretty much anywhere on
the floor, and both are excellent at providing whatever their teams need on a
game to game basis. In fact, they both even had the same weakness early in their
career (below average outside shots) and both worked to improve that
aspect.

The Lakers mainly needed Magic to distribute the ball. He had
excellent scorers around him, but they needed someone to make sure the ball was
distributed in a way that kept everyone happy, so that's what Magic provided. On
those occasions when they needed him to step up and score more, he was able to
do that.

Lebron has never had the scoring options that Magic had, not
even in Miami. However, when he has had players around him who could score his
assists have gone up. His last year in Cleveland (the first time), 3 of the 4
years in Miami and this current Cavs team, have him at his highest assist
averages ranging from 7.2 to 8.2 apg.

For me, it's like this:

Kobe is the closest thing we've seen to MJ since MJ, but he ain't MJ. Lebron is
the closest thing we've seen to Magic since Magic, but he ain't Magic.:suds:

Hey it's ok to disagree once Trojan.. :lol: And I will have to disagree. Magic was an excellent ball handler and passer. Lebron is a good passer and ballhandle for his size IMO.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Pip was an awesome defender.

But, like you said, he could guard
3 positions.

Magic and Bron could/can guard 5....in spurts.

No
worries about the drank.

When I said Pippen could defend all 3 positions, I was talking about Guard, Forward, Center.

Plenty of video on Pippen guarding Barkley and Ewing. *see avatar" for monster dunk on Ewing ;)

And yes I could talk bball all day.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic had a way with getting everyone involved. Showtime was pretty bad ass until '91. ;)