• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let Player Get on Plane to London... In London Cut Him

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions player flies all the way to London only to get cut, has to go home

The only thing worse than getting cut by an NFL team is getting cut while you're in London with that NFL team -- and then being sent home. That's what happened to Lions practice squad running back William Powell this week.

Powell and the Lions landed in London on Tuesday, then Powell found out on Wednesday that he was going to be released. The worst part? He doesn't get to stay in London, according to Lions coach Jim Caldwell.

"It's a difficult thing to do, and you certainly would not want to do it -- a guy just gets here and, within 48 hours, he's heading back home," Caldwell said, via the Detroit Free Press. "But that's kind of the nature of our business. The guys understand it, and I think, if you're up front and you tell them exactly why and what the reasons are and those kinds of things, it's a bitter pill to swallow, but they understand."

So what has to happen for a guy to get cut in London? In the Lions case, it involves tight end depth.

The Lions cut Powell so they could add safety Jerome Couplin to the practice squad. Couplin, who had been on the 53-man roster, was released on Monday so that the Lions could sign tight end Kellen Davis to the active roster.

"The reason why (we made a move while in London) is because the fact that just, in terms of practice, we need to be really at our best, in terms of making certain that we get a look on both sides," Caldwell said. "And in case anything happens, we need to be positioned to be able to adjust properly according to what our injury status is at different positions."

Depth was needed at the tight end spot because Eric Ebron, Brandon Pettigrew and Joseph Fauria have all been dealing with various injuries this season.

As for Powell, it's not all bad news. Because the move was made on Wednesday, he will get paid for the week.

Anyway, if Powell's looking for a flight home, he shouldn't ask the Falcons because they'll probably send him to Spain.

Lions player flies all the way to London only to get cut, has to go home - CBSSports.com

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before I get jumped on here, I am NOT bashing the Lions or trying to start hate or anything like that... Just posting a story in CBS...

I know other teams have done this and will continue to do this but why wait? Why not cut him BEFORE the trip?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you could view it as they were doing him a favor in if he gets cut before they leave he doesn't get paid for the week. So if you really think about it the Lions just paid him at least $6,000 just to fly to London hang out for 48 hours then fly back. I would do that in a heart beat and not feel insulted one bit.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before I get jumped on here, I am NOT bashing the Lions or trying to start hate or anything like that... Just posting a story in CBS...

I know other teams have done this and will continue to do this but why wait? Why not cut him BEFORE the trip?

plus he got paid for a full week and got a free trip to London. i'd hang out for a few days and let my agent find me a new spot. I'd love to get paid a full week for what amounts to, what? a 6 hour flight? Story sounds worse than the reality of it.

SteveDallas

T&R Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$6000 is not enough for spending two days in London.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you could view it as they were doing him a favor in if he gets cut before they leave he doesn't get paid for the week. So if you really think about it the Lions just paid him at least $6,000 just to fly to London hang out for 48 hours then fly back. I would do that in a heart beat and not feel insulted one bit.

Yeah that is certainly a good way to look at it. London is certainly a fun place to be!

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, I'd want two hookers on top of that $6000.00...

Apparently you have not seen too many British women. Take it from a guy who travels there on business 4-5 times a year: it is an ugfest! If this is an indication of their hookers then you need a fifth of whisky, a dark room, and a paperbag just to get started.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently you have not seen too many British women. Take it from a guy who travels there on business 4-5 times a year: it is an ugfest! If this is an indication of their hookers then you need a fifth of whisky, a dark room, and a paperbag just to get started.

Been there twice and you are correct. I did run into a ton of hot chicks though. Granted they were in the airport (but were British)

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm a brit, and you have a point about that :lol:

I do know a handful of hot girls, but it's not many more than a handful.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
leave the fucking starting qb in the game. jesus

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a brit, and you have a point about that :lol:

I do know a handful of hot girls, but it's not many more than a handful.

The way I 'member London, plenty of hot Asians and Indians, Brit lasses...... Not so much.

A friggin' orthodontist and a little sunshine would do a world of wonders.

I don't get why Couplin was cut, not that anyone else in this thread cares.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Try reading the article you posted, since it explains why.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
british-women.jpg

runbch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$6000 worth of liquor can make any woman doable.